Jungle Rush Coaster

mattcrombie

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Do we think the turntable's going to be indoors or outdoors?

If the ride building is as prominent in the area’s design in the concept art has it seeming, I’d hope that it’s at least partially indoors. And, based on the outline contained in the overhead view that was on related signs for a while, that does seem like it’ll be the case.IMG_7210.thumb.jpeg.d8d6bfa7624b1126e2bed3bef6f66376.jpeg

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the slab in question:IMG_7364.thumb.jpeg.6d3037323aa4a59c634e7630622f2445.jpeg

IMG_7367.thumb.jpeg.2f768bbbe5fc27250363daea7fb25655.jpeg

IMG_7365.thumb.jpeg.a128e02c81c10d95471b7cb6abea894a.jpeg

IMG_7362.thumb.jpeg.faaf1559d8ad25d0fe90141db2f3da06.jpeg

based on the footers, location, and all that, this is roughly the location that has currently been concreted (red outline).

IMG_7210.thumb.jpeg.045bb2f9baf01cd64586054de0245002.jpeg

not a big portion, but it’s at least become a decent anchor for the scale & location of the area. there’s a lot of footers around, though, most currently left unpoured apart from ones which I believe are for the inclined turntable & above zig-zags (those seen within the black braced off area in the 2nd pic). I think (or, hope) these are separately poured only due to queue path seemingly going underneath this section, and not because it’s indicative of that area being outdoors.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 3

I don't find it to be best practice because it creates maintenance. 

The only element you need on the GC to start concrete cancer is air.  Air contains moisture, salts and oxygen, all the ingredients you need for rust.  The cold joint gives a direct path to the steel, so you have to seal it if you want to guarantee not to cause rust.  

The concrete has been poured and leveled with the metal rebar for the footers sticking out of it.  The footers will have concrete poured around them eventually, but onto an existing concrete pour.  Which means the current concrete will be mostly set when the new concrete is poured and they won't be chemically bonded.  This is called a 'cold joint'.  There will be a gap between the layers into which moisture can seep, which will eventually rust the metal rebar and compromise the structural integrity of the footer over time.

My assumption was that if the footers are going to be indoors, then it may not matter.  Apparently the moisture in the air is enough.

My best guess is that if the footers are inside they will be easier to seal (and maintain a seal), than if exposed to the elements, so they've decided to pour the footers later.  There are footers that seem to be level with the concrete in the third image (looking toward GD), so it seems the elevated footers (with cold joints) are only for the turntable structure.

I know enough to look at the pictures and try to make some guesses, but I'm not an engineer.  So I guess we just have to wait and see what they actually do.

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

vlc_HmbqbOa1hZ.thumb.jpg.abd05b7e5f9152bfdf5c06ad1550edac.jpg

Recent pic of the site. More concrete!

Anyone else think this may not open by the end of the year or will open in stages? (Jungle Rush and then Vintage Cars at a later date).

When you look at the progress on Wizard of Oz, seems Movie World is well ahead. 

No hate on either park, just going by these updates across the parks. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of ground works to do for this site and that’s usually the part that always takes the longest. Once these slabs are done, it will come together quickly. We’ll soon start to see track install begin, then the indoor building and so on. And the vintage cars is a pretty simple thing to do and most of the theming for the land is being built off site.

MW have been working on the Wizard site for over a year and we’ve only just see the track go up in the last month, but they’ve still got a lot to build to make it look like Oz.

So in terms of their constructions timelines, I’d say DW is slightly behind on where MWs at, but they’ll be on track to open at the same time. But it will certainly be a race to see who can open it first.

53 minutes ago, themagician said:

There was a lot of ground works to do for this site and that’s usually the part that always takes the longest. Once these slabs are done, it will come together quickly. We’ll soon start to see track install begin, then the indoor building and so on. And the vintage cars is a pretty simple thing to do and most of the theming for the land is being built off site.

MW have been working on the Wizard site for over a year and we’ve only just see the track go up in the last month, but they’ve still got a lot to build to make it look like Oz.

So in terms of their constructions timelines, I’d say DW is slightly behind on where MWs at, but they’ll be on track to open at the same time. But it will certainly be a race to see who can open it first.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Will be an interesting race and a big summer for both parks!