Wet n Wild SurfRider taken off website

Natti_amusements

It will be likely that the ride will close again to allow for these works. Some preliminary/low scale works may happen outside of park hours, but when it comes to installing the ride itself, it will be very likely to close for a few weeks.

Id imagine in future years, when SE is scheduled to close for maintenance, I’d assume that Surfrider will also close for maintenance.

Edited by themagician

Impressive work, but why the rush to get it down so quickly when it likely can't be installed until Superman's next maintenance period? That can't be a response to the ride outages.

While I've made my feelings known about the location, I would hope that there are some plans for some light theming, at the very least through the queue line. September seems a likely fit for the relaunch, although there'd be no real urgency until the summer.

I think it'd be much harder to do all of the work while Superman isn't closed for a period of time, both logistically, legally, operationally, and safety-wise. Maybe some more preliminary work could be done before a closure, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that you'll just rock up to ride Superman one day & there'll be a fully constructed coaster within it's ride envelope.

Edited by Tricoart

6 hours ago, Ogre said:

they could probably do most of it while SE is running.

From a safety perspective they can’t. When initial works were happening on the Giant Drop, there were a few days when STEE Taipan had to close because they were too close to each other. SE and SR are much much closer than that 

10 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

Impressive work, but why the rush to get it down so quickly when it likely can't be installed until Superman's next maintenance period? That can't be a response to the ride outages.

While I've made my feelings known about the location, I would hope that there are some plans for some light theming, at the very least through the queue line. September seems a likely fit for the relaunch, although there'd be no real urgency until the summer.

I think you answered your own question. Even if they are waiting until the next maintenance period. they likely have a window to strip, clean and repaint the track.

As for construction, we have seen how long deconstruction took, I assume construction would be slightly longer, but could be done similarly with SE closing for a couple days here and there for works that is better done during the day, needs longer timeframes or just purely, the skilled labor required won't work out of hours.

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Bear in mind that the primary reason rumored for this move is to provide additional capacity in a park that is temporarily lacking it - if that's true, they're going to do all that they can to keep superman open, within reason.

Exactly this. The underlying assumption for some seems to be that the space inside the helixes is still dangerous. Now that there's a ride going in there, the physical environment will be adjusted to mitigate that risk. Therefore, beyond the major installation of ride components, there's now no longer a need to close Superman for most reasonable activities to occur in that space. To be frank, you'd be amazed at what after-hours work goes on at theme parks, and I think this will be no different (depending on labour availability, naturally). If they're taking Surfrider down in the middle of the night, they can probably put it back up in the middle of the night, too.

19 minutes ago, Vidgamer said:

In theory Movieworld could delay Hypercoasters maintenance period for a few weeks

that depends on when it was completed last year - i'm not sure the 12 monthly inspection requirement has any leeway in QLD under the new regs. it simply says 'at least once every 12 months'.

17 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

that depends on when it was completed last year - i'm not sure the 12 monthly inspection requirement has any leeway in QLD under the new regs. it simply says 'at least once every 12 months'.

If memory serves me correctly the maintenance period for Hypercoaster was deleted last year as Green Lantern was playing up, but I could be incorrect. 

• rappa locked this topic