Leviathan reliability

Vidgamer

4 hours ago, Gobbledok said:

Sounds like your classic chinese whispers. They are well aware what their own trains weigh surely 

It might not have been the train was the problem but something was and it needed extra bracing. He seemed very legit . I can’t remember if he said the train was the main problem I kinda zoned out but the rest is quote

17 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Why feel sorry? He would have been paid for ever hour he was onsite. Delays just meant more $$

Your right I was more sorry for all of us who had to wait so long..

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

Hilariously this lines up with that early rumor that Leviathan was sinking, hence the delay.

I don’t know if it was “sinking” but if the fact the footers were under built the first time it would make sense that’s where the rumour came from

• 2 weeks later...

Just shy of two weeks. Sounds like the 1000km first service for them to make sure everything is wearing as it should. Given the difficulties they've had in opening on the regular, I do wonder whether there might be any changes planned to the control system that might improve capacity or operational tempo?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guest 239 said:

Maintenance schedule has been updated to include Leviathan going down for two weeks in March.

image.thumb.png.733d854f0d69f75b1400ed980b395807.png

Awesome, right after I booked a trip down to ride it from the 9-15th. Superman Escape out too: just waiting for Steel Taipan to announce its scheduled maintenance on the same set of dates to complete the hat trick of coasters I'm visiting specifically because I haven't had the chance to ride them yet.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

So another day where Levi is closed, and Tridant has a 45 minute wait. 😕

I'm visiting next weekend but only have a few hours spare - really think my chances of getting on it are slim to none.

I would watch This website  this weekend to see how leviathan goes. Just scroll down to the village parks and tap refresh. It will show when a ride temporarily closes and it updated way sooner then the website. Based on how it goes today and tomorrow It should give you an idea what wait times and reliability is like. I think you have more of a chance of getting in then you think. But if you only have a small window to go there I recommend going around 12 pm. The lines will be the longest all day but there’s more of a chance it will be open

Edited by REGIE

Spent the weekend staying at the resort for Carnivale. Visited Friday afternoon and got 5 rides in with no wait.

Only got one at night (around 8.00) due to heavy rain but it was hauling!

I’d go at park opening, don’t line up, but as soon as you hear it operating get a virtual queue. The return time should only be about 5-10mins. Once the operator has cleared it, get another one straight away.

if you’re going mid week, wait times will be considerably less regardless.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2023 at 10:12 AM, Dean Barnett said:

So another day where Levi is closed, and Tridant has a 45 minute wait. 😕

I'm visiting next weekend but only have a few hours spare - really think my chances of getting on it are slim to none.

Yeah I was there from midday until 9pm and Leviathan didn't stop cycling that whole time. Trident did briefly stop, I'm assuming wind reasons, but more or less ran all day.

While I'm at it, the light package for Leviathan is amazing. The flashing when it goes down the drop is really eye catching.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Naazon said:

While I'm at it, the light package for Leviathan is amazing. The flashing when it goes down the drop is really eye catching.

Agreed - we got a ride during the Carnivale fireworks and it was sensational - they need to find every excuse to run that thing at night.

• Like 2

Went to Carnivalle Saturday largely for Atlantis at night.

Levi was down for about an hour but managed to get on with virtual queue at about 7:30 which was just fantastic.

had my first ride of vortex too which I had avoided previously but with no line gave it a go. The back to back triple flips were decent, but it’s a poor man’s Wipeout.

Trident is an abomination. For all the hassle and downtime it should just be removed as it’s an embarrassment for the park. My wife and son wanted to give it a go, I said I’d take a wander as I knew it would be arduous from my previous visit. 

they entered the queue at 5:35 and by 6:50 they had run 5 cycles. 5 cycles in 75mins! I personally watched the having to recheck all belts 7 times on one cycle. Then when my wife and son finally got on, there was a ride fault and it closed. So by then over 90mins and didn’t get a ride. 

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Agreed - we got a ride during the Carnivale fireworks and it was sensational - they need to find every excuse to run that thing at night.

Honestly I think that area is prime for corporate events.

Have the tavern for food and drink, plus Levi/Trident/Vortex for rides, + dolphin pools

25 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Levi was down for about an hour but managed to get on with virtual queue at about 7:30 which was just fantastic.

I must have somehow missed that downtime. I did go to the front for the first show so maybe thats why. I think it ran really well all day otherwise and had sub 1 hour wait times.

I've continued tracking uptime data from Sea World since the 19th of January. Here are some stats - 

Down Time Percentage

image.png.1d078699c4c73506447b54a345ff5979.png

My system tracks three states - CLOSED, DOWN & OPEN. Generally CLOSED is reserved for when the park is shut, but can also be used for down time though it is rare. For simplicity sake on this output I just used my DOWN & OPEN data considering that these states generally need to be assigned manually by the park. 

Still, a rough estimate of 30% uptime for a brand new attraction is pathetic. The rest of New Atlantis isn't much better at 38% uptime for Vortex and 47% uptime for Leviathan. I get that there are teething issues, but when your coaster from 2008 is operating more reliably than your coaster from last December than you've got some problems.

Sea World Likelihood Of Down Time

Using this combined data I wanted to see what times of the day rides were most likely to go down. 

image.thumb.png.7cda93c482d6f650aae85a3c62bf6b64.png

Keep in my mind my data is recorded in Sydney time so 11 AM is 10 AM, etc. With that mind, there are some interesting things to note. Leviathan is more unreliable in the first half of the day and gets more reliable as the day goes on. Storm Coaster is insanely reliable during most of the day. Trident is the opposite of Leviathan and appears to go down more in the afternoon. The other rides seem to be pretty standard.

Wait Time Averages

This is the average wait of each ride over the day when the ride is open.

image.thumb.png.3ec7073199634d1f67b83437425a4819.png

Nothing too much to note except for Leviathan seeing a huge spike at the start of every day. My assumption is that a lot of people are visiting the park but it's generally down at the start of the day. Therefore people hang out for longer than usual and a larger-than-average crowd forms because of it waiting for the ride to open. Also people really don't like Vortex. 

If there is any data you want feel free to let me know. Again there are problems with this considering that it's only sampling every 15 minutes and we're relying off output from the park but it's still interesting none-the-less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stats are fun, but not gospel. Much like the closures on the website, they skew towards making things seem worse than they are to avoid dissapointment for guests. I'd caution against taking it too literally, and punishing them too much because of it. However the headlines are right; Lev has similar reliability to other rides in the park, no one likes Vortex, and Trident sucks.

A lot is made of Leviathan since its the ride we care about. It does tend to open late, but far more often then not when it's open, it stays open. If you went to SW with the intent to ride Leviathan and it was important to you, there is one day you wouldn't have been able to, and 1 or 2 days where you could easily have been unlucky with timing and missed it, but for the rest you would have had no worries getting a ride.

I had been very interested in what would happen with Vortex when the rest of NA opened, and it seems; not much. It's not really captured much interest with the public. I think it's both the wrong ride for that location, and it's in the wrong park altogether. Vortex's downtime isn't entirely mechanical; I think using it as a replacement for Doomsday at MW or sending it to WnW wouldn't be the worst thing. 140cm is too high a height restriction for a filler ride at SW, the demand just isn't there. Even with a better cycle I can't see it doing that well. It's part of why I don't think Surfrider is the right ride for the park, even though I do concede Surfrider would probably perform better. I think Vortex's plot would be better occupied by a mid size Ferris wheel, be a much better 'look' with dolphin pools nearby than a high impact thrill ride.

Trident I think actually looks better with the stats that what the reality is; I dont think @Brad2912's story is uncommon. I've never been much of a fan of SBF, but I think Golden Horse has them beat at this point. Anything above the smallest kiddie ride and they seem out of their depth. Interesting that it has a fairly hefty bit of downtime planned. Hopefully it can come back being at least a little bit reliable. With how much people will complain about anything, it's strange to me it's taken this long to notice Trident.

2 hours ago, joz said:

A lot is made of Leviathan since its the ride we care about. It does tend to open late, but far more often then not when it's open, it stays open. If you went to SW with the intent to ride Leviathan and it was important to you, there is one day you wouldn't have been able to, and 1 or 2 days where you could easily have been unlucky with timing and missed it, but for the rest you would have had no worries getting a ride.

I had been very interested in what would happen with Vortex when the rest of NA opened, and it seems; not much. It's not really captured much interest with the public. I think it's both the wrong ride for that location, and it's in the wrong park altogether. Vortex's downtime isn't entirely mechanical; I think using it as a replacement for Doomsday at MW or sending it to WnW wouldn't be the worst thing. 140cm is too high a height restriction for a filler ride at SW, the demand just isn't there. Even with a better cycle I can't see it doing that well. It's part of why I don't think Surfrider is the right ride for the park, even though I do concede Surfrider would probably perform better. I think Vortex's plot would be better occupied by a mid size Ferris wheel, be a much better 'look' with dolphin pools nearby than a high impact thrill ride.

Trident I think actually looks better with the stats that what the reality is; I dont think @Brad2912's story is uncommon. I've never been much of a fan of SBF, but I think Golden Horse has them beat at this point. Anything above the smallest kiddie ride and they seem out of their depth. Interesting that it has a fairly hefty bit of downtime planned. Hopefully it can come back being at least a little bit reliable. With how much people will complain about anything, it's strange to me it's taken this long to notice Trident.

Wooden coasters are a completely new breed for the major parks in terms of maintenance and running it. I'm not surprised to see Leviathan have the teething problems it has and it’s rather unfortunate as these problems create negative impacts on the frontline staff that are faced with disappointed guests who’ve come to sea world to ride the coaster all over the airport billboards. No one has maintained these things since the days of Wonderland.

Fully agree on Vortex. It being right next to the dolphins is a tad insensitive, it was always a bad location from day dot, but it runs pretty quiet to their credit. If it was as noisy as Wipeout then it would certainly be a problem. Not only it has the height restriction but it also faces the problem of appearing too intense and scary for Sea World and I believe that’s why it struggles to get much of a line (especially on my visit). It's a good ride (but the cycle doesn't do it justice) that's in the wrong park. Another ride that can go on the "ship off to MW" list, I think it's too intense for WnW also.

SBF is a bit of a lol, i'm shocked village decided to buy from them for trident rather than funtime. Luna Park bought the replacement tango train from them well before Atlantis was planned, and managed to get an overall downgrade that has reliability problems, and when it runs, its unusually rough and unpleasant compared to the original. 

Edited by Baconjack

2 hours ago, joz said:

Stats are fun, but not gospel. Much like the closures on the website, they skew towards making things seem worse than they are to avoid dissapointment for guests. I'd caution against taking it too literally, and punishing them too much because of it. However the headlines are right; Lev has similar reliability to other rides in the park, no one likes Vortex, and Trident sucks.

Is that you @joz? Do I need to call the police, Stats are not fun.  Theme parks are fun.  

31 minutes ago, New display name said:

Theme parks are fun

Theme parks are fun because they generate stats!

44 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

I'm not surprised to see Leviathan have the teething problems it has and it’s rather unfortunate as these problems create negative impacts on the frontline staff that are faced with disappointed guests who’ve come to sea world to ride the coaster all over the airport billboards.

Again, Lev's downtime is mostly in the morning, and once it's open, it tends to stay open for the day. It's had 1 day of downtime since December, and except for 1 or 2 days, has cycled the queue at the end of the day. It's about as reliable as other rides in the park, and if you went to SW with the purpose of riding, then you got to.

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Fully agree on Vortex. It being right next to the dolphins is a tad insensitive

I think it’s not to bad it gets the odd “animal help group” upset but they don’t often realise the bigger picture the dolphins have a decent sized bay to be in I doubt they are looking up at vortex and complaining. I am sure the dolphins well-being was put into consideration when adding vortex. Dolphins are naturally curious and like fun so I think they would kinda like vortex in some ways.  Plus it doesn’t operate enough to be annoying for them.