Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Overhaul

Spotty

Possibly controversial question here. Do you think that Scooby's throughput will be better/worse/same after the revamp?

We've seen improvements made to WWW that seemingly make throughput worse, due to changing safety standards. With new ride vehicles/ride system planned, I'm expecting it will be more reliable but will that come with a trade off of reduced capacity?

All speculation of course...

7 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

It's funny, I had to Google 'scooby doo spooky coaster entry' to realise what was wrong with this picture because upon first seeing this picture I was like "wtf have they done to the scooby building". Turns out having a couple trees framing your big ugly white sound stage building does wonders for selling an illusion because honestly this looks like shit.

omg so true, bring back the trees!!

I'm generally not so keen on them using screens again, even if they do it well. I think practical things are just cooler for this ride (but the $4mil suggests either very light practical theming or screens, or both at same time which is most likely) I also think the lighting is a thing that they overlook a little, the queue and station has such excellent lighting. But still, no screens in the source material and I don't think anyone would be disappointed if it ended up being a 1:1 of the ride in the movie >:3

excited! (⁠「⁠`⁠・⁠ω⁠・⁠)⁠「

Edited by sammypanda

59 minutes ago, New display name said:

So you add another emergency exit.

Or you widen an existing exit will give you extra people count.

All of which would require a large amount of capex, which they won't go for when they can have guests sitting in the sun for free...

The space still makes money, unless private events are threatened, they won't touch it.

1 hour ago, ShakeShack said:

All of which would require a large amount of capex, which they won't go for when they can have guests sitting in the sun for free...

The space still makes money, unless private events are threatened, they won't touch it.

"its an event space now" argument is bullshit. Both sides are used for event spaces, which is why the queue polls are removable.

Punching a hole through a wall isn't large capex, its a bit of framing, some doors and electrical work + sign off. Adding the extra emergency exit would allow them to increase capacity for the said private events.

3 minutes ago, Naazon said:

"its an event space now" argument is bullshit. Both sides are used for event spaces, which is why the queue polls are removable.

Punching a hole through a wall isn't large capex, its a bit of framing, some doors and electrical work + sign off. Adding the extra emergency exit would allow them to increase capacity for the said private events.

When did I use it as an argument? I was saying, until they get told they can only sell that space to 300 instead of 500 people, they aren't going to do shit about it.

It's not as simple as that though, if it was, surely you would assume they have already done it?

21 hours ago, New display name said:

Chanel 7 news are saying the upgrade will cost 4m.   4m doesn't sound like much money when you have 18 cars to replace. 

When they did Arkham's train, the running gear stayed, and the new chassis went in underneath.

Perhaps Scooby is the same? *shrug*

15 hours ago, Ogre said:

Didn't help that some cars were being sent around the circuit empty. They weren't wrapped up in tape as the borked cars usually are, so it seemed like a recent issue. 

The cars likely weren't borked - they were likely either dispatching empty to prevent a cascade stop, or if the staff member was riding solo afterwards, perhaps they were doing something (filming perhaps?) and they didn't want any guests in front of them getting in the shot?

7 hours ago, franky said:

Hows this for some 'engaging' click bait

image.thumb.png.59d1ce00d64bf8526dc5ffc96457e507.png

Australian news corps rlly be trying to squeeze all the views they can get from completely misguided articles about Village.

On another note, what are the chances SDSC gets restored to its former glory by either re-storing or replacing an animation or two from the original??? An animatronic would rlly add to the rides story and experience.

On 25/01/2023 at 9:27 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The disco room is about the best it has ever been, excepting the original green laser fit out. This constantly changing cycle giving you something new to look at every so often is better than anything else they've tried there (though I REALLY wish they could bring back the old school lasers and mirrors as that shit just looked awesome.

Several years ago I rode Prater's Insider and remember thinking "oh this is what Scooby could have been like with more than two lasers". It's basically another Mack in a box but with a much more liberal use of lighting and lasers, for a far more effective result. Here's a video, though it's definitely more impressive in person.

Hard to tell what’s happening in the video but that’s kinda the point of these rides. I really love the queue line. Scooby has a great loading station and path to said station but before that there’s just a HOT black box you spend 30 minutes in. There’s a TV and a statue and that’s it. I hope the queue gets the same warped walls and floor as the rest of it has.  As for the lasers these ones look way better then what scoob has

4 hours ago, aaronm said:

Several years ago I rode Prater's Insider and remember thinking "oh this is what Scooby could have been like with more than two lasers". It's basically another Mack in a box but with a much more liberal use of lighting and lasers, for a far more effective result. Here's a video, though it's definitely more impressive in person.

So there is definitely LESS lighting in that ride than Scooby. The big difference here is the use of atmosphere. Scooby haze no smoke or haze in the high zone so the lighting effects are totally limited to what 'crap' is in the air for the light beams to hit or what they actually light up. It has been that way ever since the fire regulations crack down/the next gen rebuild. It's not that the smoke is broken or anything, it's that it's not there period.

Hopefully they can get that sorted out in this period and bring back atmospheric haze in the 'disco room'. Putting a haze machine in there would instantly make the exact lighting that's in there now look 10 times better.

On 26/01/2023 at 2:07 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The cars likely weren't borked - they were likely either dispatching empty to prevent a cascade stop, or if the staff member was riding solo afterwards, perhaps they were doing something (filming perhaps?) and they didn't want any guests in front of them getting in the shot?

It was two empty cars, followed by a car with the solo staff member and a normal car with 4 guests. I didn't think of it at the time but yeah, they were likely linked in some way.

The staff member was one of the ride ops, and I couldn't see any camera equipment. It looked like an off the cuff moment.

3 hours ago, rappa said:

So there is definitely LESS lighting in that ride than Scooby. The big difference here is the use of atmosphere. Scooby haze no smoke or haze in the high zone so the lighting effects are totally limited to what 'crap' is in the air for the light beams to hit or what they actually light up. It has been that way ever since the fire regulations crack down/the next gen rebuild. It's not that the smoke is broken or anything, it's that it's not there period.

Hopefully they can get that sorted out in this period and bring back atmospheric haze in the 'disco room'. Putting a haze machine in there would instantly make the exact lighting that's in there now look 10 times better.

Just let teens in every 3rd vehicle with thier stupid vapes. Would add haze.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rappa said:

So there is definitely LESS lighting in that ride than Scooby. The big difference here is the use of atmosphere.

That’s interesting to learn, I do remember much more haze a decade ago, music was much louder too. Hopefully the redo sees MXPX blasting in our ears once more.

• Like 1

One of my favourite things is when someone makes something up and then you get outrage at made up thing. There are lots of reasons why. There could be disabled guests and they want empty cars in the system to make it easier to identify which car has those guests. It might be to prevent a cascade stop. It might be that those cars had their harness reset, and while the ride is fine to continue operating, those cars need to be cycled a few times. It could be a guest half heartedly reported something, and it was being checked out to be sure to be sure.

There are a million reasons why, its likley none of the ones I mentioned are why, but I'd suggest putting the outrage back in your pocket.

Edited by joz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ogre said:

Would be pretty bad to do during park hours!

Staff actually were allowed to ride during the day (presumably) on their breaks.

Whilst generally I don’t like seeing staff fast tracked while paying guests wait I don’t have an issue with it on the last day of operations.

For what it’s worth this was short operational delay at one point as a guests bag fell between the tracks at unload. There was further downtime in the afternoon and a full evac. 

Edited by Park Addict 93