Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Overhaul

Spotty

8 hours ago, aaronm said:

I still remember seeing someone try to bring a full size rollaboard suitcase onto SDSC one time. Staff politely wheeled it through to the unload station.

Entry host didn't do their job then lol. Only thing that's meant to go through the unload station is mobility aids etc. Anything too big to sit in the car shouldn't be let past the entry host at all.

19 hours ago, Spotty said:

Entry host didn't do their job then lol. Only thing that's meant to go through the unload station is mobility aids etc. Anything too big to sit in the car shouldn't be let past the entry host at all.

I don't get it - what about their post made you lol?

Anyway, I've joined SDSC's queue in the past with no staff at the entry point.

12 minutes ago, Whombex said:

I don't get it - what about their post made you lol?

Anyway, I've joined SDSC's queue in the past with no staff at the entry point.

That's really strange that there was no entry host at the entrance. They are meant to have one at all times unless they were behind the bench where the CCTV monitor was. Very odd.

4 hours ago, Spotty said:

That's really strange that there was no entry host at the entrance. They are meant to have one at all times unless they were behind the bench where the CCTV monitor was. Very odd.

Outside of peak periods where crowd management is required, I reckon in the last few years it is 50/50 whether there is a entry host or you just walk on in 

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Outside of peak periods where crowd management is required, I reckon in the last few years it is 50/50 whether there is a entry host or you just walk on in 

Not my experience, always an entry host but yeah may have been behind the CCTV bench.

They also are at entrance to manage the FT (and formerly VQ) verification.

16 minutes ago, New display name said:

I believe only sections of the track will be replaced.

yep. just some sections after the load station and before the unload station.

24 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

Given the whole ride track has to be pulled out and then rebuilt inside an existing building that kinda explains the long time frame

Much easier to build something new out in the open

They got it in there with an existing building, didn't they?

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They got it in there with an existing building, didn't they?

I may be misremembering, but I believe the two were built concurrently with the final wall of the building (on the elevator side) not being completed until after the ride was substantially complete, with the elevator structure being the last part to be clad.

You can see some of the photos from the construction here:

http://www.roller-coaster.com.au/timeline.php?cid=6

images.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me when the works commences and if the track replacement is extensive , the first thing we see is the removal of the elevator, to give them access to the ride.  If the track work isn't extensive then they already have ways to access the ride without removing the elevator.

Edited by New display name

Honestly removing the elevator seems quite extreme, even if the work is extensive?

Unless the elevator itself needs to be replaced, it occurs to me that'd be one of the few things you wouldn't want to move... surely removing a wall with a few sheets and rails elsewhere would be preferred than unbolting an entire lift structure?

Even without much information about it, if it does turn out to not be a major overhaul with animatronics back n such and really going hard as a last hurrah to put together something that feels like walking into the ride from the movie. Then it's as good as gone; it's kinda their last chance to hold onto the glory/reputation the ride and scooby had so long ago in the public consciousness (especially as people who grew up on Scooby and this ride are now becoming parents). I don't have any reason to think they'll meet this standard though, probably too busy thinking about the next hotel to build /sar 🙄

from what i’ve heard (quote me if i’m wrong) most of if not all of the track in the disco room section of the ride, including the lift, will be replaced. lower stress sections such as the dark ride portion should remain as is. Work hasn’t started in the ride at all so my guess would be the ride is going to open in the later half of 2025.

34 minutes ago, Gobbledok said:

The buildings roof was raised during construction to make it over twice as tall as it was originally

So its correct there would have been open walls as new walls had to be put in after raising the roof

I don't remember that.  Have you got photos?

I remember the elevator and the higher roof added for the turntable but I don't remember seeing the shed double in height.

image.thumb.png.069a56be32aa0c7670978d7ec5906151.png

It would have been a massive job to double the height of the shed because you don’t build a structure 10m tall and engineer the footings and steel work to take the load of a 20m structure.   Every part of the shed, from footings to roof would require major work.  Also, you remove the roof purlins, and the walls will fall over, therefore you would have major temporary bracing to stop the building collapsing.    The effort involved in upgrading the shed to take the extra loads, sounds more costly than replacing the existing shed with a new shed.I remember the elevator and the higher roof added for the turntable but I don't remember seeing the shed double in height.

23 minutes ago, New display name said:

It would have been a massive job to double the height of the shed because you don’t build a structure 10m tall and engineer the footings and steel work to take the load of a 20m structure. 

Don't forget they had to complete re-engineer the walls to take the load of the hydraulic lifting systems that open the roof in the event of a fire too...