The Flash: Speed Force coming to Movie World

Guest Moderator

6 hours ago, Ash said:

My god that video of JL is terrible. That ride needs to retired. Bring back the Batman simulator or perhaps something like Spideman 4D from Universal Studio's themed to DC? Wishful thinking 

I believe it's been mostly fixed now since the major refurb. But I just wonder why some of those issues like faulty animatronics and blown speakers couldn't have been fixed by MW's in-house maintenance team. The ride should surely be able to be kept at a certain standard, and not just have it deteriorate until the original manufacturers have to be brought in again many years later

Edited by GoGoBoy

On 15/03/2024 at 5:07 PM, Dean Barnett said:

I could be wrong 

Usually.

(Also, we had concept art, just not THIS art, back in July last year at least) - 

I think the entire series for this attraction has been a bit cobbled together. By all accounts, it was a knee jerk reaction to fill the hole left by Scooby. This is evidenced by the fact it was refurbished and repainted at WNW, reconstructed, but never reopened in that colour scheme before coming down again to switch parks.

Originally planned to be operating already (wasn't it originally slated \ rumoured to be September last year?), they clearly ran into problems with Intamin, also evidenced by the fact that they built it, and then pulled it halfway down before building it back up again a week later.

They've also been working on that entranceway for far too long. My guess is they built what they thought would work and someone has pointed out an issue with the design so it's stalled while they've come up with plans to fix it - perhaps its too close to the launch building for superman?

The fact they've released the entrance art now could be the start of a brilliant teaser campaign (which I find unlikely) or it could just be that they've just gotten the revised art on the entrance and wanted to show it off as soon as they received it - which I find more plausible.

Honestly if the art is representative of what we get, I think it's ok. The Superman S kind of dwarfs it a bit and definitely shows which superhero has the bigger.. ahem.. logo.

I'm keen to see what this looks like once open, but we all know this is just the appetiser before WOZ.

6 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

By all accounts, it was a knee jerk reaction to fill the hole left by Scooby.

I can tell you it wasn't a knee jerk reaction. The relocation had been in planning since August 2022. It had two proposed locations at MW, with Superman being the most viable.

One of the pro's was certainly that it added an attraction to the ride line up in the absence of Scooby. However unfortunately Scooby's fate came around much quicker than both Village and Mack anticipated. I'm not sure if its been mentioned previously but Scooby had been in planning with Mack since 2021, with the hope that it could continue to be supported by the OEM until Wizard of Oz opened. The rest however is history. 

Edited by Levram__

3 hours ago, Levram__ said:

I can tell you it wasn't a knee jerk reaction. The relocation had been in planning since August 2022. It had two proposed locations at MW, with Superman being the most viable.

One of the pro's was certainly that it added an attraction to the ride line up in the absence of Scooby. However unfortunately Scooby's fate came around much quicker than both Village and Mack anticipated. I'm not sure if its been mentioned previously but Scooby had been in planning with Mack since 2021, with the hope that it could continue to be supported by the OEM until Wizard of Oz opened. The rest however is history. 

Hate To be that Guy, but where did you source this information from?

If Flash wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to Scooby's problems, and something that had been planned for any period of time (which seems unlikely given they refurbed and rebuilt it up the road before moving it over), the absolute dogshit attempt of village to theme it is even more of a joke then the 2D comic art would suggest to the untrained eye.

And where else could have they reasonably put it in the park?

All signs point to: Scooby carking it -> oh crap we didn't plan for the refurbishment of it at the end of its natural life cycle  -> we have an extra ride up the road -> bring it down -> put it in superman's helix so we can attach some bullshit marketing slogan to the ride -> fail to open it in a timely fashion during availability crises.

IMO, it would have made more sense to remove doomsday and put it in that plot if space permitted, but i guess 'closest roller coaster ride to a western themed log flume in the southern hemisphere' doesn't have the same ring as ' first ride within a ride' even if the former is more true...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aw hype said:

IMO, it would have made more sense to remove doomsday and put it in that plot if space permitted

Thank god they didn't.  It would have been such a waste.  The SE helix has been an under-utilised dead spot right at the front of the park for almost 2 decades.  This absolutely is the right space for a mediocre flat ride of this size.

Yea, Doomsday sucked and was a bad choice for the park, but that plot of land was well-themed when it opened and it deserves a better ride than a Surf Rider.  If anything, they've missed an opportunity to update SE's story, theme the Flash to Villains and put a lot of that theming at the front of the park, all the way up to Rivals.  But that would have required them to commit to replacing DD with something better, and re-theming the area - which is expensive.

If they kept the theme, there are plenty of reliable, relatively inexpensive classics that could fit there - like a Top Scan (just an example).

But I'd personally like to see a re-theme.  DC is basically dead now as a 'movie' franchise.  Dune and Madmax would be my picks, and they both lend themselves to immersive theming of an outdoor thrill flat, with an indoor simulator (like batman) in the show stage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

Yea, Doomsday sucked and was a bad choice for the park, but that plot of land was well-themed when it opened and it deserves a better ride than a Surf Rider.  

I agree that area deserves something better than a Surfrider - or an Intamin twin hammer - but making the best out of a bad situation would be, imo, throwing in the towel with Doomsday and putting the Surfrider there because: a) You need an attraction semi reliably running in your (debatably) most well themed area to justify its build cost. b) It gives people a reason to go down that end of the park (since Scooby has gone down) other than solely as a thoroughfare to WWF, decongesting the front of the park (and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but i think there's a whole 'the further you walk, the longer you stay, the more you spend' thing Disney believe in). 

If the Flash was a long planned installation then yes, the helix is a better place to put it, but given the context of both Scooby and Doomsday's non operation, and as purely a filler, I believe that area of the park would be much better for the 'new' installation.                                                                                                                                 

Edited by Aw hype

35 minutes ago, Aw hype said:

the helix is a better place to put it                                                                              

I don’t think in any situation, putting the flash (a red coaster) within Superman (a red coaster) was a good idea. Superman towers over Flash making it look so insignificant and not exciting. At WnW it towered over anything that was nearby and it made it look impressive, but at MW it isn’t. And with it tangled within Superman’s track I’d say guests are going to get confused with what coaster is what. It doesn’t matter that Superman is nearly 20 years old and there’s entry signage, people still get confused with this sort of thing. The Flash at MW (in my opinion) was not the right decision, but having it within Superman was a terrible idea.

Edited by themagician
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Aw hype said:

Hate To be that Guy, but where did you source this information from?

If Flash wasn't a knee-jerk reaction to Scooby's problems, and something that had been planned for any period of time (which seems unlikely given they refurbed and rebuilt it up the road before moving it over), the absolute dogshit attempt of village to theme it is even more of a joke then the 2D comic art would suggest to the untrained eye.

And where else could have they reasonably put it in the park?

All signs point to: Scooby carking it -> oh crap we didn't plan for the refurbishment of it at the end of its natural life cycle  -> we have an extra ride up the road -> bring it down -> put it in superman's helix so we can attach some bullshit marketing slogan to the ride -> fail to open it in a timely fashion during availability crises.

IMO, it would have made more sense to remove doomsday and put it in that plot if space permitted, but i guess 'closest roller coaster ride to a western themed log flume in the southern hemisphere' doesn't have the same ring as ' first ride within a ride' even if the former is more true...

You're working on an awful lot of assumptions here...

1 hour ago, themagician said:

I don’t think in any situation, putting the flash (a red coaster) within Superman (a red coaster) was a good idea. Superman towers over Flash making it look so insignificant and not exciting. At WnW it towered over anything that was nearby and it made it look impressive, but at MW it isn’t. And with it tangled within Superman’s track I’d say guests are going to get confused with what coaster is what. It doesn’t matter that Superman is nearly 20 years old and there’s entry signage, people still get confused with this sort of thing. The Flash at MW (in my opinion) was not the right decision, but having it within Superman was a terrible idea.

I guess good thing the coaster is both Red & Yellow then.. Have you seen this in person? There is no way it goes unnoticed, especially from within the Superman Escape 'plaza', you would have full view of the attraction & station.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

8 hours ago, ShakeShack said:

I guess good thing the coaster is both Red & Yellow then.. Have you seen this in person? There is no way it goes unnoticed, especially from within the Superman Escape 'plaza', you would have full view of the attraction & station.

Yes I have and I think it gets lost amongst sumperan. Yes the yellow helps, but that doesn’t make it stand out

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Levram__ said:

So let me get this straight:

• Surfrider first made news around February 2007
  • Track was onsite around April 2007
  • Ride was testing around September 2007
  • Ride opened on 23 September 2007
  • Total time lapsed - 7-8 months, or six months from delivery to opening.
  • The relocation had been in planning since August 2022
  • Construction began in April 2023
  • It is now March 2024
  • We're now twice the original build time
  • We're now 18 months from when it was 'planned'
  • The ride still doesn't have a train on track, let alone testing or theming.

How incompetent are these people?

13 hours ago, Aw hype said:

but i guess 'closest roller coaster ride to a western themed log flume in the southern hemisphere' doesn't have the same ring as ' first ride within a ride' even if the former is more true...

Interestingly, their latest posts about Flash haven't mentioned that tagline anymore. Hopefully they've realised how stupid it was and dumped it for good.

12 hours ago, themagician said:

I think a lot of people on socials are getting confused about it given the proximity and the red track. I think it will be harder to confuse in-park, but certainly the marketing has people very confused when a lot of folk recognise it as surfrider - being a retheme of an existing ride, and others confusing it for superman, and assuming the retheme is a retheme of superman...

• Like 2

(From Movie World’s socials)

Behind the scenes update! 👀

️ The Flash: Speed Force board has arrived at #movieworldaus from the ride's manufacturer, @intaminofficial🎢 It is set to be installed in the coming days with commissioning commencing soon!

️ Stay tuned for more The Flash: Speed Force announcements!

IMG_7401.thumb.jpeg.34ff30dcb01c3591c69e2b668589d505.jpeg

Having Intamin involved with the ride vehicle is interesting, could that mean new trains after all? Might be why they replaced the LSM’s, to realign with the new train after deciding to get it after-the-fact? (spitballing)

Edited by Tricoart

23 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Looked like some lifts were happening in the Superman helix this morning... could we have a train on track?

Pity the crews working in the miserable conditions today - but can confirm the train must have gone on yesterday as there was a giant red and yellow surfboard hovering over superman this morning.

• Like 1