Eureka Mountain Mine Ride Maintenance

Drewboy

But I wasn't commenting on Eureka Mountain specifically and never indicated as such. I was speaking generally, citing some common reasons for ride closure at theme parks anywhere. You suggested that a ride's closure is basically black and white - a ride will operate until it's not safe to do so anymore. There are many more reasons for a closure than that, which is all I was demonstrating with those possible reasons.

I understand where you're coming from, but you need to keep in mind that we are only discussing the Eureka Mountain ride here, and as blunt as it may sound, what happens to the Eureka Mountain ride has very little, if anything at all, to do with other rides and their specific reasons of closure. As you are aware, rides close for different reasons, and the Mine Ride would not be any different. Citing other rides' reasons for shutdown has no involsure with the ride in topic. As yet, no reason has been given for the closure and as yet, no fitting reason has been provided by you, myself or anyone who has commented. Let's leave it to Dreamworld's management to decide and act on this.

Although this isn't my field of expertise, I would be assuming that this is an annual maintainence check. HOWEVER, I do agree that it's quite odd not to have a re-opening date. I have a couple of reasons why. 1. There may have been an end-of-the-day routine shutdown/clean/check of the ride and there has been a problem noticed in the ride. This often causes rides to be closed for an unconfirmed length of time. I'm sure you all know that when the Tower of Terror malfunctions, we can never tell riders exactly when it will be open. The only problem with my theory is that we haven't heard of any break-downs, problems or faults with the ride, plus unless it IS an annual check, the public would be notified somehow. 2. The ride may be getting a refurbishment. This isn't a check, or a maintainence runthrough, simply something as little as repainting, repositioning, anything really. Hope this helps. Not entirely true, Richard. On the one hand, you are correct in saying that we would publicly announce the closure of the ride. On the other, we would not necessarily announce it until the ride WAS closed, because up until the point where executives decide that the ride cannot function anymore, for reasons of either safety or otherwise, there may be a change, a reopening, or a decision made that would allow the refurbishment then reopening of the ride. I must say, though, no-one should be getting worried about the closure of the ride because it ISN'T being closed. I myself am not sure on what is exactly happening, but I know it isn't closure. Thanks guys.
We seem to have a reason already, though, assuming that DW has been telling customers the truth.
Just got of the phone with dreamworld, the mine ride is closed due to the age and unavailability of parts to repair which would also explain the temporary eating area and no work, (no parts meens no work) the lady did say the ride is one of their most popular and providing they can get the parts the ride will reopen but unsure when untill they get the parts to repair the ride.
I understand where you're coming from, but you need to keep in mind that we are only discussing the Eureka Mountain ride here, and as blunt as it may sound, what happens to the Eureka Mountain ride has very little, if anything at all, to do with other rides and their specific reasons of closure. As you are aware, rides close for different reasons, and the Mine Ride would not be any different. Citing other rides' reasons for shutdown has no involsure with the ride in topic. As yet, no reason has been given for the closure and as yet, no fitting reason has been provided by you, myself or anyone who has commented. Let's leave it to Dreamworld's management to decide and act on this.
Though it may not be entirely related to the topic of Eureka Mountain, it seems apparent that Richard is replying to this coment of yours:
Unfrotunately though, ther's no way of just 'knowing' that a ride cannot funtion anymore, thus there being no way of just closing the ride on the spot.
Richard has just pointed out ways of 'knowing' that a ride will close, without making any reference that the reasons he is highlighting are the reasons that EM is closed, but just replying to your post above. Edited by Swanny

As you are aware, rides close for different reasons, and the Mine Ride would not be any different. Citing other rides' reasons for shutdown has no involsure with the ride in topic.
It is absolutely 100% relevant here when you suggest that rides can only close when they're either unsafe or if the park's owners arbitrarily tell the management team that it must close. It's never as black and white as that and to suggest it's like that with Eureka Mountain or any other ride is simply false. No one said that the conversation is 100% restricted to Eureka Mountain Mine Ride. Previous decisions made by Dreamworld and other parks in relation to ride closures are absolutely relevant because in situations like this where the reasons for the ride's indefinite closure aren't entirely publicly known, the best anyone here can go by is what parks have done in the past. If you don't think anything but Eureka Mountain is relevant here then by all means ignore discussions pertaining to other rides, but don't suggest that it's totally irrelevant to the conversation when it's clearly not. It certainly is relevant given that you yourself have mentioned other rides and more general situations as Swanny pointed out. You evidently have a wealth of knowledge about the operational side of Dreamworld, and it is great to get that side of the equation; especially considering we haven't had any ride operators from DW post here in a long while.

We seem to have a reason already, though, assuming that DW has been telling customers the truth. Though it may not be entirely related to the topic of Eureka Mountain, it seems apparent that Richard is replying to this coment of yours: Richard has just pointed out ways of 'knowing' that a ride will close, without making any reference that the reasons he is highlighting are the reasons that EM is closed, but just replying to your post above.
I'm confused enough as it is with the reasoning and publicising of the closure. The topic in hand has gradually been thrown out of proportion, which is why I simply said "Well, we'll leave it to Dreamworld's management." Now I would like to make a query as to why Dreamworld would be giving reasons for closure out to the general public when myself and my workmates have not received word on anything. It's all adding up to one very confusing topic. I say, until more information is available, we let this be.

Why aren't you listening Richard, are you just stupid or just not quite all there at the moment? Ride Op. has clearly told us he has no idea whatsoever why the ride is closed but can definitely tell us will all certainty it is not closing permanently. Now why doesn't that make perfect sense to you?

This is an Internet message board. If you don't want baseless speculation you're probably in the wrong place. So long as no one tries to pass off speculation as fact or falsely implicates anyone by misrepresenting or misquoting them there is no harm done. As for no one here knowing what's going on, you might find that what people are discussing and what they actually know are two very different things, dictated by confidentiality agreements or professional courtesies. People are most welcome to come here and post what they think, that's what this place is for.

Ride Op. has clearly told us he has no idea whatsoever why the ride is closed but can definitely tell us will all certainty it is not closing permanently. Now why doesn't that make perfect sense to you?
Actually, that all makes perfect sense now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i am unsure when it will open but the reason it is taking so long is the ordering of parts to get every part newsflash the eureka mine ride and the stingray will be open before the end of the year
Man i hope so as it's one of my fav rides.
weird... I was at Dreamworld the other day, and the whole ride is borded up completly. They have taken away the queue lines and now there are some picnic benches in there.
It's been like that for months.

newsflash the eureka mine ride and the stingray will be open before the end of the year
If they are re-doing the track then they had better hurry up and work in fast forward, because there hasn't been any work done on it yet that we can see. Considering the fact that re-doing the track would supposedly be a job that would take quite a while, it would be quite fascinating if they can finish it in about 2 months (I'm aware that there are 3 months left in the year, but I don't expect that DW would actually start doing anything for a month, considering that Eureka has been lifeless for numerous months). If they are laying out new track, is it a different ride layout or is the track just being replaced with newer track?

^ Showing my age here but I remember riding Eureka for the 1st time not long after it first opened. Arguably, Gold Rush Country was Dreamworld's most curious and anticipated new area ever built. The Mine Ride's 'Carts' originally sat just two people with one in front of the other. I remember It scared the absolute sh*t out of my Mum and for good reason too! The ride was at it's wildest back then and made far more dips and winding turns in and out of the mountain than last time it was ridden. The Cart's guide wheels held losely beneath the rails allowng them to tip as they wound in and out of the mountain, adding to the feeling of danger. Perhaps this was a design that was considered unsafe and maybe why the whole ride was rebuilt a short time later? Over the years, the track has been completely redesigned and elements of it (like the nasty S-Bend that used to finish the ride) were replaced with boring straight track runs.. Eureka Mountain Mine Ride remains as one of DW's last TRUE themed ride experiences. It simply must stay. Dreamworld, you said they would have to follow the original track layout but the last track standing for this ride is anything but original!! They don't have to build it the same way and if they do one day reopen Eureka I hope it will be bigger and better than before..

Edited by MickeyD

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, First time post. I think I can give you some more information on Eureka Mine Rides Status - not sure if it was mentioned earlier (didn't want to go through all the posts!). I was in Dreamworld in August this year, and I asked one of the employees walking past, what was the reason that the ride had been closed for so long. This is what she told me: - Dreamworld has been advised the material used to cover the "mountain" in some rare cases can be flammable. Now, as all of the rides wiring etc, is under said material, it is too expensive and difficult to repair. They have sent off samples of the material to some place, and are looking at options like respraying some sort of chemical over the top of the flammable material to ensure that it is not a safety concern to guests. From the sound of things the ride will not be coming back anytime soon. Unless they can find a solution to this flammable material - it would be just too much of a public liability nightmare if something ever happened. Hope they get something fixed soon though - that ride adds a lot of ambience in that area.