Recent Dreamworld marketing / social media

Has anyone checked out DW's social media recently? I assume not because it has no engagement. But it's bad, like really, really bad. It's worth having a look at just for the cringe, especially the recent videos. They're investing in their 'most expensive ever' attraction, but is the marketing going to do it justice?

I get that it's hard to get engagement with organic social media these days, but if you're at least posting quality relevant stuff it can get some reach. VRTP's social media is leagues ahead, like not even in the same universe

Edited by GoGoBoy

They are trying to do what a couple other brands have been doing. Including Mountain Dew (which have done it quite well) where they try jumping on trends and doing videos the average person would do to make themselves relevant and relatable. But but dreamworld haven't quite nailed it. At all. But I think their trying to appeal and not look super corporate 

Another similar marketing campaign I came across.

27F07087-D03D-4251-970E-66CEACBF1F88.jpeg

Edited by REGIE

20 minutes ago, REGIE said:

think their trying to appeal and not look super corporate

Which I think is a good thing because they’re trying to target a family audience and being less corporate and relatable is what (I think) a lot of families like to see. However I think these recent posts in the lead up to their ‘Buy 3, Get 1 Free’ campaign has gone a bit too far the other way and is heading towards being unprofessional. And looking at how the posts have done, which isn’t very well, I’d imagine that impacts the exposure of the fact that this campaign is happening. And at the end of the day, they’re trying to get annual pass sales up to get more people in the get, and experimenting with their marketing style might have not been the best move.

Take their ‘40 Day Giveaway’ campaign as an example. Nearly every day they were posting about it and they were involving their team members and that whole campaign did very well and was well received online and I don’t think any of the content was cringy. Which lead to the giveaway day bringing in some of the biggest crowds the park has seen in a while (partly because you had to be there to win the major prize, however almost everyone was there because it well marketed and people knew about it and wanted to win).

I do hope that marketing take some notes from what Village have been doing with Flash for Rivertown. They’ve so far done a good job with teasing what’s to come and revealing some amazing concept artwork, but when it comes to track install, testing, etc it would be good to see that. But also, because a lot of Jungle Rush will be in doors, don’t give too much away because I’m sure it will be an amazing surprise (like we had for Leviathan). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themagician said:

Which I think is a good thing because they’re trying to target a family audience and being less corporate and relatable is what (I think) a lot of families like to see. However I think these recent posts in the lead up to their ‘Buy 3, Get 1 Free’ campaign has gone a bit too far the other way and is heading towards being unprofessional. And looking at how the posts have done, which isn’t very well, I’d imagine that impacts the exposure of the fact that this campaign is happening. And at the end of the day, they’re trying to get annual pass sales up to get more people in the get, and experimenting with their marketing style might have not been the best move.

Take their ‘40 Day Giveaway’ campaign as an example. Nearly every day they were posting about it and they were involving their team members and that whole campaign did very well and was well received online and I don’t think any of the content was cringy. Which lead to the giveaway day bringing in some of the biggest crowds the park has seen in a while (partly because you had to be there to win the major prize, however almost everyone was there because it well marketed and people knew about it and wanted to win).

I do hope that marketing take some notes from what Village have been doing with Flash for Rivertown. They’ve so far done a good job with teasing what’s to come and revealing some amazing concept artwork, but when it comes to track install, testing, etc it would be good to see that. But also, because a lot of Jungle Rush will be in doors, don’t give too much away because I’m sure it will be an amazing surprise (like we had for Leviathan). 

Dreamworlds marketing recently has been horrible. It would be great to seem they do what Village is doing but with their own kick. I Rember watching their old vids on YT back in the day and they were awful as well. From memory that segment was called Dreamworld insiders I'm pretty sure.  It was the cringiest thing ever and not in a good way 🤣.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, red dragin said:

There was a post about their social media manager going on leave, and two staff waving goodbye with a "wtf do we do now" look on their face. 

I think they're aiming for cringy as a style for the next few weeks or something? 

But it was cringy and just not very good before that too 

It looks shit but it’s what gets the clicks at the end of the day. If you look at the engagement it’s twice or triple fold compared to the other stuff they post so they must be doing something right. Lots of brands do this, to varying degrees of success and quality, but it’s about consistency with the uploads.

Cant fault them (or village either) for trying to get ahead of the algorithm

Edited by Baconjack

6 hours ago, Baconjack said:

It looks shit but it’s what gets the clicks at the end of the day. If you look at the engagement it’s twice or triple fold compared to the other stuff they post so they must be doing something right

When you say that they're getting twice or triple the engagement, do you mean some of the posts have 7-10 comments on Instagram as opposed to zero? And over on Facebook one of them got 33 likes and 4 comments, the highest one got 61 likes and 4 comments, then another one got 10 likes and zero comments. Wow, incredible engagement!! 🙄

4 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

When you say that they're getting twice or triple the engagement, do you mean some of the posts have 7-10 comments on Instagram as opposed to zero? And over on Facebook one of them got 33 likes and 4 comments, the highest one got 61 likes and 4 comments, then another one got 10 likes and zero comments. Wow, incredible engagement!! 🙄

300-400 likes on Insta compared to their usual output which gets double digits, that’s definitely three times the amount ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More people use Insta these days especially young people where reels are more popular as a format.

Posted (edited)

Even today's social offering from Movie World is light years ahead of the horrible stuff DW is doing: a brilliant on-ride POV of Batwing Spaceshot accompanied by a perfect soundtrack, and multiple stories advertising Batman Legacy's last weekend. It's high quality and relevant... everything DW's socials are not.

Update: DW's efforts actually aren't bad today, with a little montage video of various rides and a story featuring the train so far. This isn't reflective of their standard recently though!

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

🤷‍♂️

IMG_3324.jpeg

I get what they’re trying to do… but the execution is just poor and coming across as cringe. 

Also, stick to the one channel. They don’t need to cross-post the same content across every channel they have. People will stumble across a single post of this “funny narrative” they’re trying to do, and they’ll think they’ve lost their minds.

The marketing team is completely different to 2 years ago, obviously not improved.

I don’t really think the posts themselves are the issue, if there’s anything to be changed it’s the frequency of them (and, even then, that’s not truly necessary). Dreamworld does, and has done, posts with the same vibe as those generally done by the Village parks (‘serious’ posts either when there’s something to update or something specific to promote), and they all seem to be met with no more than 50-60 likes on average. It’s their more ‘unserious’ posts (at least recently), which don’t always serve a direct/obvious purpose of promoting or updating, that get them significantly more engagement than their Village-esque posts do. At the end of the day, especially with Dreamworld in comparison to Movie World, the demographic here (both specifically & generally) is nowhere near the one/s this campaign is targeted at. Instead of going into the specificities of the demographic/s I believe they are attempting to target, I’ll just leave it off by saying the cliché “Even though you don’t like or understand something, that doesn’t mean it’s an inherently bad thing.”. And the engagement they’re getting with this campaign shows that.

(Also, to be clear, this is mainly in regards to their Instagram posts, ‘cause I see Facebook as a relic best left untouched)

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

"why are they doing these silly posts, so unprofessional" 

Meanwhile what's been the main point of discussion around here for the last few days 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The expression goes - any publicity is good publicity - but not unfortunately in the enthusiast world.

(I would just point out to the Village fanboys out there - look! people are talking poorly about something Dreamworld did, take note for the next time you all claim its a village pile-on!)

• Like 1