The Off Topic Topic

MWs carpark hasn't been overflowing, except on those really nice days. I'm taking advantage of WnW staying open until 7. The other day I go there at about 4, about the time when some people start to leave, and managed to get on everything in 2 hours. And the Constrictor had a 30min wait. But after id been on it, the queue was very small.

So very sorry to hear about the loss of Jack and several other working dogs on the property.

I hope Brianna makes a full recovery and that Robyn is doing ok.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/fire-kills-outback-spectacular-star-and-injures-dog-trainers-daughter/story-fnj94idh-1227697476624

If you'd like to make a contribution to a fundraiser for Robyn you can do that here

Wild west is usually closed for a big portion of the winter period though isn't it? You won't get a coaster built in 2 1/2 months. Sounds more like usual schedule + additional maintenance. They might have found something during the last down time that needs attention. Ride is getting pretty old now.

Superman is pretty interesting though.

1 hour ago, Levithian said:

There's old, pretty old, and should have been decommissioned. Currently heading towards the decommissioned phase :lol:

The ride turned 17 years old last December so I would hardly think it's anywhere near decommissioning. IMHO it's still thrilling & fun to ride & one of my favorite rides in the park. Dream Worlds log ride has been open for 35 years & although it has seen better days, it's nothing some refreshing & repairs can't fix. The Timber Valley Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm has been thru a total makeover in 2013 & this ride is currently 47 years old.

These rides can last many decades if they are properly maintained.

Edited by DisneyDoll

Where did I say anything about it going anywhere? See the word "should"? Im talking age/condition of the ride, not if you like riding it or think it's popular. Think of what happens to steel when being exposed to 17 years worth of water and corrosion. Next time you ride, when you drop down the reverse section, look back up at the underside of the lift hill. There could be a pretty good reason why we are seeing extended maintenance periods for it lately. It's reached the "pretty old" portion of it's life and rust is like a cancer. There's only so much you can treat before you have to start cutting it out.

33 minutes ago, Levithian said:

Where did I say anything about it going anywhere? See the word "should"? Im talking age/condition of the ride, not if you like riding it or think it's popular. Think of what happens to steel when being exposed to 17 years worth of water and corrosion. Next time you ride, when you drop down the reverse section, look back up at the underside of the lift hill. There could be a pretty good reason why we are seeing extended maintenance periods for it lately. It's reached the "pretty old" portion of it's life and rust is like a cancer. There's only so much you can treat before you have to start cutting it out.

Meaning of the word Decommissioning is a general term for a formal process to remove something from an active status.

So....you didn't mention anything about it being repaired ( rust or otherwise ) just decommissioned & that is why I said what I said.  No argument from me about rust being like a cancer & the need to remove it.

No, I replied jokingly to AlexB with three states of "oldness" as I used it, kind of like you would use in conversation about the ride. Old, pretty old, and should have been decommissioned. Then I said it is currently heading towards the "should have been decommissioned" phase with a laugh :lol:. Meaning, it's old, tired, rusted and reaching the point when you shut the ride for annual maintenance and find problems in all the wrong places.

I have no doubt the ride would have reached a point where it was starting to suffer corrosion and rust problems in structural areas due to water ingress. At some point, someone in maintenance working on it has probably scratched their head thinking something needs major repair. You know, like someone saying it should be decommissioned, not patched up for another year.

Your post above about a ride being shut indefinitely while undergoing a major overhaul before being reopened is no doubt something movieworld will probably have to discuss sometime in the future. Extended maintenance periods could point to as much, the age of the ride starting to have an impact. Maybe they found some problems they need to address/fix during the next maintenance shut down and is responsible for closing for 2 1/2 months. Thinking back, I think wild west maintenance period is usually somewhere around 6-7 weeks?

At no point did I say it was, or I think it should be removed. You drive capital purchases into the ground until the point it's no longer drawing a crowd and it's more expensive to maintain than replace. However, it is getting pretty old now... :lol:

Edited by Levithian

So Superman will be down for a good chunk of the year. Makes me wonder what could happen...

For those who have a bit more knowledge on the refurbishment of rides, is this something to keep an eye on? I have barely any knowledge when it comes to refurbs, so I don't know whether a 77-day refurb is something that is considered normal for a decade-old Intamin Accelerator

Edited by Zanstabar

Well going off what i saw when i rode in march on WWF, the Peppers Ghost needs an update (new glass, HD remaster or refilming and the projector needs more pixels), back half of the mountain after the first drop needs a repaint, the trough needed more colour somehow.

Fuck it, repaint the entire thing, bring back fire, and make the shop/exit bigger.

I'd love to see them do a complete overhaul of WWF and restore some of it's classic effects to their former glory - as well as re-doing the ghost town, and perhaps installing some new effects... but sadly we've seen WWF go down for many refurbs that we expected would be long enough to really give it a good go, and they've always disappointed - with at best a re-dressing of the tired and worn out sections.

I think it's safe to say they will never return fire effects to the mountain - there is just too much at risk, and there are much safer ways of achieving similar effects - just without sparks.

I'd like to think Superman's downtime is to allow for construction, but I don't see that Superman would really impact on anywhere else, unless the doomsday plan goes into effect - but i'd like to think that with the time superman is down - they will paint it in something a little more UV resistant.

I don't know if it's GAMEOVER or GAME OVER.  Some of the pictures they put up have it one way then the next one has it the other way.  To find it the Facebook page is Game Over GC.  I have never ridden a Zip Coaster with a lift hill before.

Edited by skeetafly

• rappa locked this topic