The Off Topic Topic

Village Roadshow half year results came out today, no announcements but some points to consider -

• Gold Coast attendance up 2.8% on the prior half year.
  • Wet 'n' Wild Sydney attendance down 23.4%, attributed to poor weather rather than disgruntled customers.
  • Memberships are expected to drive sales, suggesting that aren't going anywhere despite the current campaign suggesting otherwise.
  • Carnivale confirmed for April.
  • More theme park announcements in "...the next few months".

Was bloody hot in the SDSC this arvo around 4pm. The queue area in the castle was air con, but everywhere after that... Yuck! Was like a sauna. Made for an rather uncomfortable roller-coaster ride, I nearly broke out in a sweat just in the few minutes we were in there lol ??

I don't recall it ever being that hot in there previously, even on warmer summer days. But when I commented on it to the exit attendant, their response was "air con? What air con?" lol.

Anyone else dealt with the same issue lately? 

I just took a look at the Village half year report.

Their strategy to deal with the park in Sydney is to "focus on the future" which they go on to say includes further cost cutting (or "expense minimization") and more discounting. 

I wonder if anyone at Village realises that these two things are what the problem is, rather than the solution?

3 hours ago, westical said:

Was fine yesterday.

Only thing I noticed that was broken was that, umm, monster that does a 180 as you go around the bend. They had the light turned off so it wasn't as noticeable that something was there.

Lol. Same issue with the giant spider in the warehouse part. No lights, couldn't see the damn thing!  

41 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

@OceanGirlmaybe the sweating was from all that digging you did with your kids.  

Lmfao! No way! As if I wouldn't just leave them to do it. They are my tiny minion slaves ??

Here's an interesting article that's come to my attention. A local blogger wrote a really nice piece on Perth's old marine park, Atlantis. She also provided a link to the study on what happened to the Dolphins after the park stopped operating and it makes for fascinating reading.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/whales/debate/atlantis.html

Here's the article:

http://www.katierebekah.com.au/adventure/thereturntoatlantis/

So this just happened..

Six Flags Announces "Virtual Reality" roller coasters at 9 US parks:
- Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas
- Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia
- The New Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Ninja at Six Flags St. Louis
- Steamin’ Demon at The Great Escape
- Goliath at La Ronde
- SUPERMAN Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- SUPERMAN The Ride at Six Flags New England
- SUPERMAN Ride of Steel at Six Flags America

(TPR Facebook Page)

This will revamp revolution and revive its ridership, much like twisting did to colossus.

I have a lot of criticism for SFMM over a lot of what they do, but reviving two of their oldest and most classic coasters for a new generation, rather than knocking them down and building something off the shelf is impressive.

Something like that would never work here. The headset would be considered a "loose item" - and I guess this is something I could almost agree with. What happens if the phone slips out/someone takes it off/the band slips off? 

I love the idea, I just don't see how they could make it very secure. It's just a bit of elastic that isn't that hard to fall off. 

3 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Something like that would never work here. The headset would be considered a "loose item" - and I guess this is something I could almost agree with. What happens if the phone slips out/someone takes it off/the band slips off? 

I love the idea, I just don't see how they could make it very secure. It's just a bit of elastic that isn't that hard to fall off. 

I'd suggest that the headband \ screen \ whatever would either have hardwiring, or a safety cable attached that would prevent it becoming an issue should it be dislodged... which would mean it wasn't 'loose'... but yes the loose item policy here is atrocious, and given most loose items WON'T fall off because of inertial or centrifugal forces in most cases, it's overkill.

• rappa locked this topic