The Off Topic Topic

My list. This is just off the top of my head and only based on things I've personally experienced at the Gold Coast theme parks:

12 The fire machine and Beat Box shows at dreamworld. (I'd put them much higher on this list if they were permanent).

11 Thunder river rapids

10 Kevil Hill Zombie Evilution (as it is right now)

9 Sea World chairlifts

8  Sea World monorail

7 Imagine dolphin show at Sea World

6 Calypso Beach (Lazy River) at Wet & Wild

5 Movie World studio tours

4 Wild West Falls

3 SDSC (with all its themeing)

2 The original Hollywood Stunt driver (I never saw the Police Academy show)

1 Bermuda Triangle

A lot of work going on to the south of the studios (opposite side to Top Golf Construction)

formwork going down for a slab directly next to the studios, a new driveway/entrance, and another slab has been laid on the opposite side of the road (WnW side). I'm guessing it may be related to the Aquaman sets & filming, but it's certainly quite 'permanent'. Whilst many external sets were build around the studios for Thor 3, none required new slabs being laid 

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

^ @djrappa yea I always wondered what panavision was, so one day I googled it. Apparently it's a Camera equipment rental
John Barry sales: all film crew consumables shop onsite at village roadshow studios. 

http://www.movieworldstudios.com.au/support

This is their website 

http://asia.panavision.com

Edited by TomiJ

13 hours ago, djrappa said:

Yeah that blue slab as been there a while. 

The main set was as you say in the red section

side note: why is panavision in the middle of an Outback Show paddock lol

Yep - here's how the outback show paddock looked last September during Thor filming:

20170301114256.thumb.png.e36e3b81ad05256e2368f024582c85c7.png

13 hours ago, TomiJ said:

^ @djrappa yea I always wondered what panavision was, so one day I googled it. Apparently it's a Camera equipment rental
John Barry sales: all film crew consumables shop onsite at village roadshow studios. 

http://www.movieworldstudios.com.au/support

This is their website 

http://asia.panavision.com

Thanks Mr Obvious! lol. I think what DjRappa means, is why is the marker dropped in the middle of the paddock, instead of on building 25 (A) next to South Wardrobe, where they actually belong:

http://www.movieworldstudios.com.au/media/plans/VRS-Site-Location-Plan-2016.pdf

THE Gold Coast will star in a new movie magic tourist attraction set to premiere at this year’s Gold Coast Film Festival (GCFF).

The Gold Coast Movie Locations Tour will take guests on a three-hour scenic drive to locations featured in more than 20 movies made on the Coast including Kong: Skull Island, The Shallows, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, San Andreas and Muriel’s Wedding.

2c05a0e348330513037b3172b943e79e?width=650Scenes for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson new movie San Andreas being shot at The Pines Shopping Centre Elanora today and tomorrow. Pic by David Clark

The tour will mark the launch of a new film tourism industry on the Gold Coast and see the city join major movie hubs such as Los Angeles, New York and London as must-visit destinations for film buffs.

One of several new events on the program for the 15th annual GCFF, the tour will run daily at 9am and 1pm from April 22-24 and make four major stops including the Emmy-award winning makeup-effects studio JMB FX at Labrador.

ebcac7244fe4a63ea9a60ea4dc787d68?width=650King Kong is currently filming on South Stradbroke Isalnd close to Juminpin and the scene being filmed has a plane crashed onto the beach Pic by David Clark

Guests will be able to tour the JMB FX workshop, which has worked on films including Ghost Ship, The Ruins, The House of Wax, San Andreas, Scooby Doo, Street Fighter and most recently Thor: Ragnarok, Kong: Skull Island, The Shallows and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

7e595bc4834d88df4c9165d07c90a996?width=650Aerial images of the new Thor 3 Ragnarok sets currently under construction at Movie World on the Gold Coast Photo: David Clark

The tour will also stop at The Spit, where Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales stars including Johnny Depp, Brenton Thwaites, Kaya Scodelario and Kevin McNally spent several days filming scenes on the beach and in a specially-built castaway cabin set and Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Fool’s Gold, Triangle, Pacific Rim, Mako Mermaids and Ghost Ship also spent time filming.

917e8ff137e317d3e9b76ba5cd42c6a9?width=650The Coombabah site of the new King Kong movie film set being filmed on the Gold Coast. Picture by Scott Fletcher

The other stops are Bond University, which hosted Fear of Darkness, Scooby Doo and The Marine and saw Abedian School of Architecture building feature prominently as a backdrop in Dwayne Johnson’s epic action flick San Andreas, and Coombabah Lakeland Tracks, which hosted Oscar winner Brie Larson, Tom Hiddleston and Samuel L. Jackson during filming for Kong: Skull Island, which opens in Australia on March 9.

41fe08a0dcac43fc8ab92ebbf925a895?width=650Pirates Of The Caribbean set at The Spit.

While work on Hollywood blockbuster Aquaman, starring Jason Momoa and Amber Heard, will prevent the tour from accessing Village Roadshow Studios, guests will be treated to an exclusive virtual behind-the-scenes tour of the Oxenford filmmaking facility.

ee351d26903607c370a7636e4aae0442?width=650Scenes for Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson new movie San Andreas being shot at The Pines Shopping Centre Elanora today and tomorrow. Pic by David Clark

Interviews with film crew and Queensland filmmakers will also be screened as part of the tour, with guests to be treated to untold celebrity tales and interesting set stories in-between stops.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said he was pleased to see the launch of the film tourism industry on the Gold Coast and hoped it would continue to flourish in coming years.

Whilst I think the idea has merit, given none of the sets are standing, you are really just visiting the Spit (free), Coombabah (free). 

The tour of the visual effects is arguably the highlight. If a backlot tour of VRS was possible I think it would be a great experience 

^ Tours like that are alright. I've done a few overseas and when there's at least something that was in the background that you can recognise, it's pretty cool. If the tour guide can get hold of some good stories, or is at least highly knowledgable about the specific locations, then that should make up for a lack of visible sets. Plus it's good promotion for the film industry here.

As an aside, someone needs to sort out the captions on those photos. They've pulled them straight out of articles written months ago without changing anything. 

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:

I don't get this tour @Brad2912  it's a whole tour of saying this was filmed here but nothing remains to see.

Yep... pretty much. It'd be like doing a historical tour of Wonderland... "and where this loading dock sits used to be the queue house for the Bush Beast, and over on your left you could almost imagine the Space Probe towering above that factory..."

I did one of these at the ranch in Hawaii except they generally keep most of the sets or props as its run on private property. Another thing they did for where the sets are no longer there or don't exist was they had big screenshots from the movie so you can visualise where everything was. Highly recommend the quad bike tour in Hawaii and I'm sure this tour will be a hit for tourists as its a good way to see some natural sites.

They would never be allowed to put a screen up at the spit.  I can understand if you take people to a shop that was used in the film.  I would put my money on nobody could pick the spit in any film that was filmed there.

I would pay to see the wharf set below for The Chronicles of Narnia that was filmed at the spit but I would not pay to see grass, rocks and water.

filming-spit-3.jpg.86cc6e6e1f13b6bb9a5dbe5ed09506c6.jpg

Edited by YLFATEEKS

hmmm....after googling Prime Play, White Water West came up. Perhaps Whitewater absorbed the primeplay company, or acts as their distributor of sorts. It also looks like Prime Play was responsible for the big play area, cargo net bridges, ect. Rather than the aerial obstacle course.

EDIT: annnnnd I found it. Ropes Courses Inc. manufactured the Sky Climb @ Seaworld.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Luke

• rappa locked this topic