Sea Viper - New Ride

bren

To be clear, I wasn't trying to have a go at you specifically (And indeed you said, it was other people asking you about your count in the first place)...But these days, to me it seems like a number of enthusiasts seem to have gotten into this habit of just going around and dipping into parks to 'get the credits' , which to me seems very far removed from the reasons why you'd normally go to theme parks in the first place. Of course, its their choice to do this, but it's still lame :P I mean, when you see people paying kids to go on kiddy coasters it's seems stupid, and clearly only to boost their count up (They don't go paying them to go on the non-coaster kids rides do they?)

Not everyone. I don't do that, and relocations for me are NOT new credits.
I know...But I've lost count of the number of times I've see topics on forums like "Is Hydro at Oakwood a roller coaster?" and the like.
prefer to save the word "coaster" for rides that are actually good.
I prefer coaster in all cases because it's proper English :)
FWIW, for those who don't know me: http://www.bannister.org/coasters/order.htm
I can vouch for the quality of this site...if you want to know what basically any park anywhere is like, Richard has a report from it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear, I wasn't trying to have a go at you specifically (And indeed you said, it was other people asking you about your count in the first place)...But these days, to me it seems like a number of enthusiasts seem to have gotten into this habit of just going around and dipping into parks to 'get the credits' , which to me seems very far removed from the reasons why you'd normally go to theme parks in the first place. Of course, its their choice to do this, but it's still lame :P
Agreed. I know quite a lot of them, and to be fair I'm occasionally guilty myself. However, look at it another way; imagine if you live within an easy flight of hundreds of small parks (which I do). Do you always want to go back to the large parks you've been to already, or is it worth trying somewhere new? Even with all the ridiculous number of parks and coasters I've done I've still got a bucket load of parks in Europe that I've not visited yet. It's true that most only have family coasters, but there are often other rides worth the effort. I don't know if there are any Wiegand Bobkarts in Australia for example, but I really love those and there are a whole load of them in otherwise irrelevant small parks in Germany.

Obviously nobody replied because they haven't seen anything or haven't been....Don't pester I mean, if people notice tiny little things like a drain at MW being smelly and post about it then they are definitely going to post about more major stuff like a new train, provided it's actually there. You could use your VIP pass and go to SW and have a look....

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...
Something interesting I have noticed on the My fun web site. Corkscrew Rollercoaster is now closed to make way for an exciting new attraction. Last week the Attractions Maintenance said closed until end of November.
OMG they must have read this thread!!!!!!!!!!!! Proof:
What? They couldn't put a more interesting message? Corkscrew Rollercoaster will be closed 19 October - 30 November for an exciting upgrade and transformation into Sea Viper...New for summer 2009!
Edited by Gazza

Maybe I'm missing something in the translation from Australian to English (!) but is it possible that in their retheming they discovered some catastrophic problem with the ride structure that rendered it an uneconomical repair? Just a thought...
Nah, given it was closed over the busy Xmas period last year, I'd assume they discovered a catastrophic problem then and the only way to make it an economical permanent repair was to re-theme it. After spending so much money it'd have to be a pretty major problem to abandon the ride now. Gazza, shame how they missed the important bit that mentioned how it was an upgrade to corkscrew rather then a new attraction. Edited by joz

Nah, given it was closed over the busy Xmas period last year, I'd assume they discovered a catastrophic problem then and the only way to make it an economical permanent repair was to re-theme it. After spending so much money it'd have to be a pretty major problem to abandon the ride now. Gazza, shame how they missed the important bit that mentioned how it was an upgrade to corkscrew rather then a new attraction.
I still think they are just doing a major REFURBISHMENT and nothing else. Edited by skeetafly

I like the logo on the 'coming soon' sign outside the ride area. Here's hoping it will have proper signage and presentation when it opens unlike other recent Village additions such as Jet Rescue. For me the presentation and signage (and theming if any) really sets the mood. It also separates a true theme park from a fun park or carnival

Edited by GoGoBoy

Adding a new train is an upgrade, and there are a bunch of other things happening 'Under the hood' which I doubt many people will notice, so there most definitely is an upgrade going on. Whether this effects the ride experience significantly (or even a little bit) remains to be seen, though with the words "Exciting new attraction" on the website, one would hope so for Sea World's sake. I'd hate to be the poor bugger in the park who has to explain to confused guests that the "Exciting new attraction" has in fact been there for 27 years now.

Edited by joz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys I was here on Sunday just gone, rode Jet Rescue a couple of times, and noticed the train sitting out the back of the station. Didn't get a very good photo of it, but here's what I did get: post-224-1259619950_thumb.jpg Seems you'll be sitting a little higher up than before. The bottom of the train appears to be a "boat" - it has the elastic tied between loops running along the edge. You can see they've kept the orange colour too. If they've got the train on the tracks, but they still haven't changed the logo on the roof of the building yet. Shouldn't be too long now til it's re-opened though I would think.