Traveling fairs!

Tim Dasco

The Beast has been a very successful ride in Australia and does well at pretty much every show that it goes to. As far as the speed claim goes, most matterhorn style rides run at a similar speed (depending on how full it is) which is approx 14rpm forwards and 12rpm backwards. There are a few new rides coming to the Country and travelling soon, and a few old favourites coming out of retirement too that are currently being fully refurbished. 🌈🌈

On 25/8/2022 at 7:14 PM, Troy81 said:

I heard a rumour that 'The Beast' paid for itself in 12 months.  Surely there is a market to bring in a few more big ticket rides portable rides.

Hilarious. Where did that come from?

On 27/8/2022 at 12:29 PM, Luke said:

We are getting a Fabbri Booster Maxx next year sometime.

https://www.fabbrigroup.com/thrill-rides/booster/booster-maxxx/

It was reported in ParkWorld magazine (Spring 2022 - Part 2).

No description available.

Was fun creating the logo and theme for that one! 

Perth Royal Show posted this on Facebook, seems like a new traveling star flyer type ride. If you look at the shirts on the staff seems to be owned by Slingshot company. Good to see the Slingshot finally come back to Perth good 15+ years since its last trip. Was meant to come in 2020 but covid stoped it. So good to see it finally come back. 

⭐Get Excited for Sideshow Alley!⭐

Shoot 30 meters into the air on the all NEW Sling Shot, or fly higher than the birds on the Aviator. 🎢Experience excitement like never before on our brand new rides, plus enjoy all of your old favourites when you visit Sideshow Alley at the Show this year.

We know you're all waiting to feast your eyes on our 2022 attractions! Don't worry, the wait is almost over - our show rides and show bags will be available to browse on the official Perth Royal Show website very soon, so keep your eyes peeled for announcements here on our socials! 

302098690_5895377627139112_5601009344205184335_n.thumb.jpg.5efbb66aa7ca4f01d29f67c2e9de798e.jpg

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Aviator was at Sydney Royal this year I believe. It and Slingshot belong to the Bell's family if I remember correctly. The restraint system on Aviator is a lot more comfortable than the one Sea World had a few years ago.

Durkins….

15 hours ago, Troy81 said:

It was a remark from one of the ride attendents at the Ekka, Huss.  Thought he may be more reliable then the Dippin Dots guy.

Great find Luke and interesting info Spotty.  Are you able to divulged what other rides will be coming to Australia?

Definitely not the case, especially coming from an attendant. 

There are a few machines coming over as well as Rainbow coming back. 

• Love it! 1

3 minutes ago, joz said:

I've never been on a Rainbow. I've been curious to know what all the hype is about for a very long time. Will absolutely give it ago if one comes out. No chance it will live up to the hype but man, curious as all hell

100%.

Heard about it for years, it was only ever at the Sydney Show (right?) so difficult to get a chance to try it.

The other day I realised I've never been on a Zipper either!

If I had to describe Rainbow to someone familiar with other carnival attractions i'd say a supersized music trip.

But man, the feeling, the airtime - I don't think i've ever had a ride - in park or otherwise that is remotely similar. But its not batshit stupid intense either so still fun for those who don't seek the extremes of things like Extreme Speed Machine or XXXL.

If I had to describe Zipper, i'd probably lock them in a clothes dryer without a helmet.

43 minutes ago, New display name said:

Definitely at the Ekka in 90's

Yep, definitely was, I rode it once when I was a kid in the 90's, can't be more specific than that because I was more into showbag hype than ride hype back then but then again I do remember riding it, so I guess it left an impression at the very least!

37 minutes ago, joz said:

@Cactus_Matt Showbag question; have they got shit or is it just that I have I gotten older or is it both? Went through the pavillion at the Ekka as and had a hard time imagining kid me wanting any of them?

Just had a look at the website and seems like there's a lot more shitty ones than there used to be, not a lot of thought or care put into them just "hey here's 10 of the same chocolate bars, that'll do as a showbag right?" Some of them seem the same as when I was a kid though, like the 'Jumbo Mega Fizz Showbag' looks almost identical to something I got multiple years or even that $3.00 Bertie Beetle bag (Bertie apparently immune to inflation) looks mostly the same.

I think a part of it might be just getting older though as you said, nowadays I'm like, "I don't need that much chocolate or lollies, I'd rather a nice burger and a pint for the $40 bucks I'd spend on the showbags I'd want as a kid." To me a lot of the fun of getting showbags was walking around with so much swag, feeling like a champ with all the goodies I had and then bringing them home and spreading it all out on the floor and admiring the haul.

• Like 1

Bertie Beetle was the 'pressed peanut sweepings' of chocolates. It was invented to use the left over honeycomb byproducts from manufacturing the violet crumble. 
The bag has cost $2 for decades according to the wiki, and only cost $3 in 2006, and 2022.

I think showbags today are a mix of "we grew out of that crap" and "it's gotten more crap". 

You used to get a load of food or cans of drink and stuff in most bags and a lot of that has been replaced with vouchers to redeem a discount on things. Big brands would have awesome backpacks instead of shitty plastic bags, and in many cases those bags became the replacement schoolbag when the existing one gave up the goat.

I remember bags used to have a gimmick item though - there were the 'inflatable baseball bat' years, and the 'fuzzy emu marionette' and the 'magnetic spinning wheel on a giant paperclip thing' - each year there was always a unique, cool, must-have item.

I went a few years ago and bought a bunch of bags from franchises my kid was into, and there were some real quality items in there, some of which are still played with today several years on - but there is also a lot of crap.