Fright Nights 2018

alldinoman17

Just wondering how the queues and wait times were last opening weekend compared to previous years? I’m going this Friday and I’m not sure if buying the Maze  Fast Track will be useful or worth it?

19 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

This Friday’s fright night is sold out

Now that it’s sold out I’m thinking that getting the maze Fast track will be a smart idea 😂🤔

1 hour ago, jaginator18 said:

Just wondering how the queues and wait times were last opening weekend compared to previous years? I’m going this Friday and I’m not sure if buying the Maze  Fast Track will be useful or worth it?

Now that it’s sold out I’m thinking that getting the maze Fast track will be a smart idea 😂🤔

Halloween was a 5 minute wait ( if that) 

Jigsaw was a 5 minute wait 

Leatherface was 30 minutes

House of Kain 30 minutes 

In case you weren’t aware, Unlimited Fast Track is no longer an option. It’s either standard fast track, UTT or Platinum UTT. 

33DDF9AB-8294-4EE1-806D-D07A9BB2B6B0.jpeg

Does this answer your question?

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.06.05 pm.png

Review of Fright Night 2018 (and Terror Tour Platinum) here.

I have to agree that the "vip tour/scare experience" was the worst yet, I did it in a group of three. Would be interested in hearing other peoples opinion that have done it previous years.

Edited by Jordan M.
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

Does this answer your question?

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 6.06.05 pm.png

Review of Fright Night 2018 (and Terror Tour Platinum) here.

I have to agree that the "vip tour/scare experience" was the worst yet, I did it in a group of three. Would be interested in hearing other peoples opinion that have done it previous years.

There’s a topic specifically for UTT reviews. 

Tonight’s review (May be some spoilers)

Now this year hasn’t definitely improved in some areas, but then dissatpointed in others.

Beginning:

Unlike previous years, there is no beggining show. Actors are let out, and they run around and then escape to their positions. This was a real disappointment because I’ve found previous characters like the gate keeper really add to the opening of the event.

And unlike previous years, where they’ve just dropped the rope and you run, this time, they slowly move the rope until you get to the maze area. Which made things actually more difficult. This may be because the actors need to get into position, but there is a delay there because they drop the rope, just as the characters run out onto Main Street. So really it’s just bad timing.

Precincts:

I really thought they did a good job with having all new precincts. Main Streets was definitely the best, with the awesome lighting effects really adding to it all, and some great and unique characters.

The live entertainment at the fountain was also good, and they did actually play songs that most people would know. There were also some characters around here.

The Bloodwood precinct just wasn’t big enough and a bad position. It should’ve been towards the back of the park, and should’ve been spread out.

Around DD there were also clowns, which had some of the best and most entertaining scare actors.

But for the Safe Zones, there was too many of them. Around the rides I think is fine to have them, but in areas which would’ve been perfect for scares (AA courtyard and walkways to mazes), they really should have some there. Back when the the mazes were in the Sound Studios, and they had the Zombie alley alongside AA, it always had the best scares.

Mazes: 

House of Kain:

This is the first maze we did, so was one of the first to go through. And within 20 minutes the queue area was overflowing. This was definitely a really good maze, and I hope MW do more non IP in the future. Really interesting sets, characters and effects, especially the room that began to close in on you. But I felt like it was too dark. They had a lot of lightning effects, but you couldn’t appreciate the sets or actually see some of the scare actors, you could hear them, but it wasn’t as scary as it could’ve been in some parts.  7/10

Leatherface:

We had an hour wait for this one, and the queue was overflowing. As said, it is similar to the way Halloween is, being based around the one character with multiple scenes from the franchise. There were some really good scenes, such as when entering the caravan and how tight it was walking through it. But definitely some missed opportunities with the scares. There were a number of Forrest scenes, but no scares, and moments when you though there was going to be a scare, there wasn’t. But the water and air effects were great. 6/10

Jigsaw:

This was only a 20 minute wait and was the maze I got the most jump scares out of. It might have been because of my positioning in the group, but there were some really good ones I didn’t see coming, despite doing the maze last hear. It’s a shame that some hallways were just splatted pain empty corridors, as I find those to have some of the best scares when done right. 7/10

Halloween:

This queue was basically empty all night, because of its entrance being at the back of the park. Only had a 5 minute wait here, and the groups being sent through were half the size than all the other mazes, so there were definitely some good scares. Especially when scare actors work together and jump out at once. But it still felt undercooked and had missed opportunities, much like Leatherface did. 6/10

Overall the event was good, but still didn’t fully reach my expectations. They are on the right track with the mazes and precincts, but the event as a whole wasn’t as good unfortunately. I definitly thought it had improved on the last couple years, but still isn’t right there to what it was not too long ago. It just feels like they are investing money right for the event, to take it even further. Maybe it needs more mazes, scare actors, shows. I don’t know, but just needs more I feel. But not more in the way they did in 2016.

Overall I definitely had an enjoyable night was some great scares, just didn’t quite reach the mark. FN 2018: 7/10

• Like 4

I would have loved to appreciate the sets but the lighting was very dark and you couldn’t really observe the scenes because you were going at a speed where you would get the jumpscare and be gone after. I did House of Kain and it was defiently a fun one. It was the longest, going for 5 miniutes. I didn’t get to see the sets or the stuff going on because most places were dark but it defiently had the most atmosphere. Only other one I did was Halloween because the line was 10 miniutes and the maze went for 1 miniute and that’s it. But defiently some basic scares if your in the right position. Defiently think hok was the best but they need to make people move slower and adjust lighting.

Also, rides shut at around 945 and DC Rivals has problems so it was down for 30 miniutes when the line was at a hour wait.  

3 hours ago, themagician said:

Unlike previous years, there is no beggining show. Actors are let out, and they run around and then escape to their positions. This was a real disappointment because I’ve found previous characters like the gate keeper really add to the opening of the event.

This is very disappointed to hear. Having an opening ceremony sets the mood & feel for the event IMO. If done right, It could be one of the highlights of the night. 

It’s sad to see that 6 years ago, this was the level of production that went into it. 

https://youtu.be/6gSwFrw7Klw

Halloween Horror Nights do it very well. Here are some examples:

https://youtu.be/LozBrdyVQ1E

https://youtu.be/__a_hpUWS74

Funny that House of Kain is widely accepted as the best from all the reviews I have read...  From descriptions and other info I have found it seems like it was a last minute change from another IP maze due to issues getting the licensing...  Some of the scenes sound like something straight from somewhere else just without the recognised characters...  Would also explain the very low level of light in some areas...

23 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Funny that House of Kain is widely accepted as the best from all the reviews I have read...  From descriptions and other info I have found it seems like it was a last minute change from another IP maze due to issues getting the licensing...  Some of the scenes sound like something straight from somewhere else just without the recognised characters...  Would also explain the very low level of light in some areas...

I believe it was always going to be a non ip maze 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weakest Fright Nights to date imo. Also the smallest crowd by a landslide. I fail to understand why you would bother wasting $60 on a fasttrak when our longest wait was barely 15 minutes?

Up to $65 to get in tonight and I am certainly not the only 1 who couldn't see the value. There were meant to be 5 people in my group tonight but that reduced to just 2. Those not going were prepared to pay $45 but the extra $20 was a deal breaker. My partner and I did all 4 mazes in the 1st hour, had dinner, went on a couple of rides. Wondered around,  revisited Kain - and still left before 9.

I'd say the crowd size tonight was down at least 30% on previous years. Clearly far fewer Pass holders are no longer privileged with 1 free Fright Nights entry. I wonder how many People actually paid full price to be there tonight?

House of Kain was excellent. The others were not. Leatherface Maze had many plain black walls throughout, it was almost like they spent too much money on other areas.

The main stage at the front looked fantastic but clearly cost more to set up than was appreciated by most. The Band drew but few passes by. 

The big screens added around were also a nice touch and made the back area feel more lively. As did the fancy lighting rig at the end of Main street.

Fewer Actors this year than ever before. Both within and outside of every maze.

The Peeler was 1 too many upcharges. The Roxy 4d could be better utilised as a 4d splatter attraction that could run continuous screenings every 15/20 minutes and be included as another attraction to compliment the 4 mazes. I dunno.. something extra is definitely needed. 

With no real 'precincts' this year the line up was definitely lacking. A 5th maze maybe but they would definitely have to get more through the turnstiles to justify that, alas. 

It seems pretty clear that they have a tight budget to work with. I only hope that Chris and co can get more dollar's for next year's event. MW Fright Nights promises to be bigger and better every year. At least that's what everyone wants it to be. 

I hope this didn't sound too critical!! Ugh haha it was still a fun night but we all know they can do better.😁

6/10

20181019_185914.jpg

20181019_194948.jpg

20181019_194954.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joz said:

More expensive to get in means shorter queues so better experience but the park still makes it's money. Not sure how that's a bad thing?

Absolutely @joz it was more that it didn't quite feel worth the $65 price tag. Not when that is only just the beginning of spending for the night. 

There were obvious cost cuts - mainly fewer entertainers throughout. Have you been yourself yet this year @joz? I am sure you would know where I am coming from 

6 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

Absolutely @joz it was more that it didn't quite feel worth the $65 price tag. Not when that is only just the beginning of spending for the night. 

There were obvious cost cuts - mainly fewer entertainers throughout. Have you been yourself yet this year @joz? I am sure you would know where I am coming from 

I didn't notice a drop in the amount of entertainers this year? Maybe i'm just crazy

Leatherface Maze for example. Mostly sound fx throughout and a lot of empty passageways.

Granted, I go every year and you just can't help but compare the event to previous years I guess.. 

There are no more scheduled 'shows. 

There were some great spots (Kain, lighting, stage at front)..  even the service in the Park was probably better than I've seen in a long time.

The event just needs to step it up a notch now they charge a premium price for it. Doing away with the opening isnt that.

• Like 1

Well, just back from FNs and have to say totally disappointed. I’ve felt it’s progressively dropped in quality the last 2 years, but there was a lot of talk from MW that this year would be a return to more scares, even think “best ever” was bandied about. 

Well, it was definitely the most flat FNs I can ever recall. 

I felt sorry for people that spent $60 for their tickets, and even more sorry for any duped into buying Fast Track Mazes. 

House of Kain was decent without being spectacular, and when that’s the highlight of the maze offering you are in trouble. 7/10

Leatherface was pretty bereft of anything interesting other than noise 4/10

Jigsaw, missed this one last year, had a few decent set pieces and at least some actors in there 6/10

Halloween was ok, as it was last 6/10. 

Roving entertainment was poor barring a couple around DC Villains which were actively interacting.

no shows, no band playing (massive storm an hour or so prior to opening but cleared to be blue skies by opening) - guess they cancelled the band, or I missed it every time I walked past. 

Maze queues were minimal. HoK was 5-10mins, Leatherface was about 15-20mins, Jigsaw was 5mins, Halloween was 5mins. 

DCR was a constant 60min wait all night, but as always worth it, especially at night. 

If it wasn’t for my free entry with membership, I don’t think I’d pay to go next year tbh...

hopefully they do something different...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Well, just back from FNs and have to say totally disappointed. I’ve felt it’s progressively dropped in quality the last 2 years, but there was a lot of talk from MW that this year would be a return to more scares, even think “best ever” was bandied about. 

Well, it was definitely the most flat FNs I can ever recall. 

I felt sorry for people that spent $60 for their tickets, and even more sorry for any duped into buying Fast Track Mazes. 

House of Kain was decent without being spectacular, and when that’s the highlight of the maze offering you are in trouble. 7/10

Leatherface was pretty bereft of anything interesting other than noise 4/10

Jigsaw, missed this one last year, had a few decent set pieces and at least some actors in there 6/10

Halloween was ok, as it was last 6/10. 

Roving entertainment was poor barring a couple around DC Villains which were actively interacting.

no shows, no band playing (massive storm an hour or so prior to opening but cleared to be blue skies by opening) - guess they cancelled the band, or I missed it every time I walked past. 

Maze queues were minimal. HoK was 5-10mins, Leatherface was about 15-20mins, Jigsaw was 5mins, Halloween was 5mins. 

DCR was a constant 60min wait all night, but as always worth it, especially at night. 

If it wasn’t for my free entry with membership, I don’t think I’d pay to go next year tbh...

hopefully they do something different...

You are way off. This year is amazing. Honestly, 10/10 in my books!  

Edited by FoolishMortal999