Sky Voyager Discussion

T-bone

Just got off for the first time. (Haven’t been on Soarin before, that’s next Friday for me!) 

Pretty cool ride I reckon. Although I got literally the worst seat (Top row and Far Left carriage and seat), it was definately something new and the use of smell pods is pretty wild for an Australian theme park. 

Couldn’t bare to sit through the terrible preshow again though to go back around and get a better seat. It will definitely be a once a day ride in the future. 

Makes me excited to see how well Disney does it after seeing the ride though. 

PS. Would have preferred a new mine ride though, but Blue Fire will suffice if it gets built and ever opens.

55 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Just got off for the first time. (Haven’t been on Soarin before, that’s next Friday for me!) 

Pretty cool ride I reckon. Although I got literally the worst seat (Top row and Far Left carriage and seat), it was definately something new and the use of smell pods is pretty wild for an Australian theme park. 

Couldn’t bare to sit through the terrible preshow again though to go back around and get a better seat. It will definitely be a once a day ride in the future. 

Makes me excited to see how well Disney does it after seeing the ride though. 

PS. Would have preferred a new mine ride though, but Blue Fire will suffice if it gets built and ever opens.

Just did it again with no preshow and sitting bottom row dead centre and I thought it was actually pretty incredible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, themagician said:

Did you ask to skip the preshow?

I was chatting to the team member at the entrance and mentioned how bad the preshow was, and then she said that because it was quiet they are just putting people straight through to the Skydiver safety video rather than waiting through the first 5minute one. 
So I think dreamworld understand that if they don’t need the 5 minute preshow for crowd flow on quiet days, then they shouldn’t use it. 

The preshow could and should actually add to the experience and be fun and entertaining.

If it was good enough people would be more than happy to see it again and again. 

To make it betterfor repeat riders though, ideally there should be several preshows (all fun to watch, and relevant to the ride), that way you never know which one you're going to see. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Whether you watch the pre-show or not, your wait time remains the same if they are dispatching/loading properly. The length of the pre-show correlates to the ride time. If you skip the pre-show you are either waiting longer outside, or after the safety video. 

Unless (like me this morning) you're on the first ride of the day, in which case you skip the preshow and just go straight on the ride!

1 hour ago, aussienetman said:

Hey guys,  anyone know how accessible this is for folks who can transfer out of a wheelchair?

The lower floor is on ground level and completely wheelchair accessible. I am sure they have a procedure to accommodate guests with disabilities. The lower floor is frankly the better experience anyway with Gondola 2 in the middle offering the best 10 seats.

I got to experience Sky Voyager for myself yesterday.

This is truly a ground breaking attraction and one that our Aussie Theme Parks should be very proud, if not least envious of! 

SV is 100% the Industry game-changer that DW needs right now and possibly the sleeper hit for Gold Coast Theme Parks this Summer and beyond. Please take my advice when I say It is best experienced from Gondola 2 (middle) on the ground floor. Enjoy!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, T-bone said:

The thing with the pre show, is if they are loading properly and running the attraction to its full capacity, i’d Prefer to sit through the pre show than to be standing outside in the bullpen with nothing to do. Could it be better? Absolutely it could be, but I think DW need to be given a patt on the back for attempting to do a fully inclusive experience with a pre show experience, as let’s face it, none of the parks have included a pre show on any of their new attractions in recent years.

Definitely and not all that hard to fix. Just needs a new video (or ideally a few new videos) to be made. The structure and the technology to show it is already in place! 

Arkham Asylum is the only ride I've seen in Australia at the moment that has a good pre show. It's funny (which keeps people interested), and it also provides relevant safety information. 

Bermuda Triangle was the only other ride that used to have a really good pre show. It wasn't only a video but involved actors as well. 

Edited by pushbutton

True, but rides that are massive in size, in terms of people eaters usually have groupers or a greeter, someone at the entrance to check heights... The staff member on the preshow can take this job on having a dual role rather than just standing at the entrance. At its busiest, Scooby has a greater and grouper. 

And isn't this how Batman was run? Take a group through where you can check heights, play the preshow and then they would group them into their simulators before they would go into the Batcave. So staffing levels never actually increased?

5 hours ago, themagician said:

Looney Tunes River Ride and Batman Adventure The Ride all has preshows for their entire life too.

Even Wild West Falls had a preshow at one point. Definitely a shame more rides don’t have preshows on the coast because they definitely add to the experience when done well

Especially at Movie World. Pre shows help to make you feel like you're in a movie related experience. But yes, it applies to elsewhere too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

Give me a good themed queue over a cramped box with 30 strangers any-day.

What like the Q for Superman Escape? Without so much as your precious mobile phone - fair reason why I cannot stand a wait much less than 15 minutes for that one!

Edited by MickeyD

5 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think there is confusion as to what a true preshow is.

A preshow is when you get locked in a room, and a video plays or you watch an animatronic or a live actor.

Eg like at the start of LTRR or Batman.

A preshow is not really when you just shuffle past a video on loop.

Reminds me of Lethal Weapon's Pre-Show. It was being 'locked in a room' and watching a car chase scene from one of the movies, then being address as stunt drivers and let into the short queue.

Then they allowed you to walk through the video room that had the chase scene on loop if you wanted to watch it. The downside was the walkway to the station became a long queue.

Also, Gremlins... was the cinema part of the 'ride', or a great pre-show?