Which abandoned Aussie coaster do you wish you could ride once/again?

Ranger

Which abandoned Aussie coaster do you wish you could ride once/again?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which abandoned Aussie coaster do you wish you could ride once/again?

• Bush Beast @ Wonderland
    • Demon @ Wonderland
    • Beastie @ Wonderland
    • Wooden Big Dipper @ Luna Park Sydney
    • Orphan Rocker @ Scenic World
    • Thunderbolt @ Dreamworld
    • Eureka Mine Ride @ Dreamworld
    • Tower Of Terror I/II @ Dreamworld
    • Sea Viper @ Sea World

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/09/22 at 04:12 PM

Yeah, for me it's got to be ToT, by far. When I was younger, I'd gone on every ride at DW bar Buzzsaw, GD, and ToT, mostly because they were too intimidating for me at the time. And, when I really got interested in the industry, enough to really want to ride it, RR happened so I cancelled my pass and didn't go for a few years, and it closed before I got the chance.

Edited by Tricoart

Another vote for Tower of Terror. I never rode it back in the day and deeply regret it now. Followed closely by the Bush Beast at Wonderland Sydney (or really just Wonderland in general) as I never had a chance to visit the park while it was operational and wish I could’ve experienced what it was like. 

13 minutes ago, pin142 said:

I am surprised that the Bush Beast is doing as well as it is given it isn't the best when it comes to wooden coasters. LPS Big Dipper I'd imagine to be more exciting than Bush Beast.

Think it’s nostalgia for those who grew up with their wonderpass and BB was a highlight. 

even though Leviathan will undoubtedly be a better woodie than BB, it won’t replace the nostalgia attached to it. For many growing up in Sydney, BB was the first “big coaster” we went on, and marked a milestone of having levelled up from the Beastie 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Love it! 1

I'm not surprised Thunderbolt is fairing so poorly. It was the first non-kiddie coaster I ever rode, think I rode it for the first time in the mid 90's around the time when Village Fair was re-themed into Ocean Parade. Despite having an annual pass for most of the years from the mid 90's through the early 2000's I can count on one hand the amount of times I rode Thunderbolt in total. The loops were impressive and a little bit fun but the rest of the ride was completely underwhelming and at worse painful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pin142 said:

I am surprised that the Bush Beast is doing as well as it is given it isn't the best when it comes to wooden coasters. LPS Big Dipper I'd imagine to be more exciting than Bush Beast.

Beastie was my first ever coaster, so holds a lot of special memories.

Before CV19 my last trip was to Canada where I visited Canada's Wonderland and got to ride the original roller coasters that the Bush Beast and Beastie were cloned from, brought back some seriously good memories from my childhood!

1 hour ago, DJKostya said:

Before CV19 my last trip was to Canada where I visited Canada's Wonderland and got to ride the original roller coasters that the Bush Beast and Beastie were cloned from, brought back some seriously good memories from my childhood!

Interesting! Maybe I'll get over there one day and ride them, and make up for me chickening out as a kid!

52 minutes ago, franky said:

Interesting! Maybe I'll get over there one day and ride them, and make up for me chickening out as a kid!

There's a number of parks that were previously in the Taft Broadcasting \ Kings Entertainment stable that have or had similar attractions to our Wonderland. 

As far as Bush Beast goes, BB was a mirrored layout, with all the turns in the opposite direction down under. Canada's Wonderland (Wilde Beast), California's Great America (The Grizzly) and Kings Dominion (Grizzly) were all identical layouts other than the mirroring - these were all modelled off of the original Coney Island Wildcat. CGA's The Grizzly was retracked by GCI not too long ago and is apparently a lot smoother. 

Fun Fact: Some blueprints \ plans that Bush Beast was built from were actually labelled "Grizzly" while some other earlier site layout plans and documents were labelled "Wildcat", so the inspiration is quite clear!

I recently did a deep dive on California's Great America after the recent announcement of its pending closure, so here's a couple examples from CGA:

Still Operating: a Bayern Kurve (Wizards Fury) and Wave Swinger (Dragon's Flight), Intamin Rapids (Snowy River), and an Intamin giant drop (Space Probe), along with the usual staples such as dodgem cars etc.

Defunct attractions: a looping starship (Bounty's Revenge), and a 3-armed version of our Zodiac called SkyWheel (featured in Beverly Hills Cop 3). 

• Love it! 1

I miss tower, sure in its last years it could barely crack halfway up the tower but there is really nothing like it here anymore. Sure you have your steel taipans and supermans but they aren’t comparable imo.

Riding it in its opening year when it ran at max power must have been incredible.

I’ll add Gold Coaster while it was in Sydney to the list too. The setting alone improves the ride so much, it’s unfortunate that I never got to experience it when it was there. It feels like that ride was built specially for Sydney - at Dreamworld it doesn’t feel like it belongs there even as WWW has been built around it.

Edited by Baconjack

12 hours ago, Baconjack said:

I’ll add Gold Coaster while it was in Sydney to the list too. The setting alone improves the ride so much, it’s unfortunate that I never got to experience it when it was there. It feels like that ride was built specially for Sydney - at Dreamworld it doesn’t feel like it belongs there even as WWW has been built around it.

I remember my first and only visit to Luna Park was in the month (or so) up to Big Dipper (Gold Coaster) closing, I believe at that time it was unknown whether it would be going to a new home or not so I rode it probably fifteen times that day. As you say it felt like it was a part of the landscape of the park, the first drop being so close against the buildings and retaining walls on the right hand side of the coaster was such an excellent experience. I feel like if Dreamworld put more effort in and didn't just dump it in the carpark Gold Coaster could have benefitted greatly from being amongst the trees further back in the park.