Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point "Closing"

Coasterjoe

@Dean Barnettis the argument than in the event of a non launch the ride system is better if its rollback is higher?

But, Hydraulic launches can have varied rollbacks. It's not a case that all rollbacks on LSMs are low and all rollbacks on Hydraulic "almost make it over"

I've seen ones that go less than this even, as in a few meters up the curve.

Xcelerator

Edited by Gazza

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

@Gazza both of those videos are testing. 

My video is a fully operational ride with a loaded train.

90% of Dragster’s rollbacks are from other factors besides a mechanical fault (wind, cold mornings.) Whereas the video of Red Force is to do with a mechanical error - hence why it slows down quickly and doesn’t go high up the top hat. Accelerators with guests on board still only make it a couple metres off the ground if it was a mechanical and not weather related rollback.

I’d suggest trying to get a grip on common sense concepts, rather then spitting out incorrect statements and trying to back them up with empty, negative points.

Edited by Rivals

10 hours ago, themagician said:

Even Superman Escape at MW has had many rollbacks during its life 

Surprisingly Superman has actually very rarely rolled back. AFAIK it's only had 2 or 3 rollbacks that I'm aware of with guests on board. It's had a few launch abortions though where the brake fins have popped up mid launch however but not many full on rollbacks.

18 hours ago, franky said:

Probably to have the new LSM mounts fabricated.. from what I've read elsewhere (so no warranty on this) they're not working with Intamin to complete this change.

Maybe they’ll go with Velocity Magnets… worked so well for Dollywood 😂😂

I'm glad they're not demolishing the main part of the structure (it would appear), it's such a centrepiece in the park. This is the coaster that got me travelling internationally to go to a park (after I saw it on the news, I had to ride it), so it has some sentimental value.

It's going to be intriguing what they do, it could be as simple as adding LSMs or maybe they'll be more ambitious. Purely pie in the sky, but if they lowered the drop to ground level they could might just scrape past Kingda Ka's drop record (TTD is 420 feet tall with a 400 foot drop; KK is 456 feet tall with a 418 foot drop). I'd love to see something like a towering turn with an extra drop around the back, (maybe a similar concept to Xcelerator) and a switch track as well to add an extra block. Time will tell...