Dreamworld announces Wave Swinger, Dreamland (DreamWorks retheme) and new coasters

Ashley Jeffery

8 hours ago, New display name said:

Was it mentioned on what will be replacing the Madagascar Live Show?

2E988CDF-240D-48CF-BEC1-0017764ADB1D.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Bloxay said:

I wonder what'll happen to entertainment and character meet and greets as DreamWorks is such a major part of that.

One 20min live show and 4 x 10min meet & greets a day won’t be that difficult to replace.

there will not doubt be a Belinda & Kenny live show of sorts, as well as meet & greets 

• Like 1

I honestly think Greg has done a great job. Ever since stepping into the role, he has done positive things. Just remember how f**ked the park was when he took on the role. He’s had to clean up the mess that past CEO’s have made.. (sounds a bit like the Iger/Chapek situation at Disney now lol). 

The additions IMO, is going to become a big hit with families. The reshuffling of rides is well & truely needed. 

Excited to hear more information when it comes about. 

Excited for the future of the park, albeit somewhat surprised to see no news on a RHLR replacement. I'm still hedging my bets on a Mack PowerSplash within the next five years (the OG model, not a PowerLoop).

With BuzzSaw and ToT gone, I also thnk they're at least one thrill coaster shy of a competitive lineup. It's clear they're putting the focus on the family experience with the announcement, which makes perfect sense, given the newest addition was a major coaster. Hot take (probably not a hot take because Motocoaster is ass): tear down Motocoaster and put a quality ride there – a Vekoma Blitz, an RMC single-rail... hell, I'd take a Sky Rocket (Ice Breaker looks kinda cool). Someone remind me because I haven't been to DW in a long time; what became of the Eureka Mountain and Blue Lagoon area? Is that still real estate for future attractions or no?

Also: would anyone care to be a dear and share the GCB article?

I really like this news - as a family with three small kids of varying ages, there's something here for all of us.

We adults will love the new coaster, and alongside Steel Taipan means DW hopefully has two coasters we actively want to go on, compared to (at the moment) just DC Rivals at MW and (whenever it actually opens) Leviathan at SW. Eldest child will doubtless want to go on it too.

Our middle and youngest kids will love the new kids area (heck, they love the existing kids area), and don't expect to get our youngest off the Big Red Plane anytime soon!

As someone else said, much more impressed by this than WoO.

7 hours ago, Bloxay said:

I wonder what'll happen to entertainment and character meet and greets as DreamWorks is such a major part of that.

King Juliens Theatre will receive a major upgrade and will have the more generic name of ‘The Dreamworld Theatre’, which means they can have multiple different shows daily, plus they will have can have more meet and greets here too. The Dreamworks characters will be no more, but they will have the koalas and ABC characters too.

Whats also exciting is by the end of 2024 DW will almost have as many coasters as MW.

DW will have (6 coasters)

- Steel Taipan

- Gold Coaster

- MDMC

- Kenny‘a Forest Flyer (currently Escape from Madagascar)

- Big Red Boat

- Jungle Rush

While MW will have (7 coasters)

- Rivals

- Superman

- Green Lantern

- Scooby

- Road Runner

- The 2 Wizard of Oz coasters (yes, 3 tracks but 2 attractions)

5 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

Excited for the future of the park, albeit somewhat surprised to see no news on a RHLR replacement. I'm still hedging my bets on a Mack PowerSplash within the next five years (the OG model, not a PowerLoop).

With BuzzSaw and ToT gone, I also thnk they're at least one thrill coaster shy of a competitive lineup.

The announcement being family focused does make sense with their current timeline, with SV in 2019, ST 2021, and now this project taking over 2023/2024. Once this project is completed, i believe then we will see a new thrill coaster being added alongside a waterslide tower at the parks, which i’d say be around 2026-2027. 

As for MDMC, i can only see it getting refurbished, unless Jungle Rush opening decreases it’s popularity as it is still a popular family ride.

10 hours ago, franky said:

Nine News Videos - Interviews with Greg

https://fb.watch/g-3ro6BzFo/
https://fb.watch/g-3xQ1BdXv/

Couple of snippets from the segments in the Jungle Rush thread, but these are the full segments going over everything happening (inc Tiger Island).

Of interest to me, the spend is now $60 million

Ahhh media - never change.

image.png.c94acedb11a751f98ccb678bb43756da.png

9 hours ago, Bloxay said:

Yeah as noted, they've got wiggles characters, ABC Kids characters including BiP, they've got Kenny and Belinda, Goldie... there is not going to be a shortage of character opportunities, and not having the stage themed to a single IP means they can use it for special holiday attractions as well as regular shows and appearances - if anything the loss of the dreamworks characters gives them MORE opportunity, not less.

8 hours ago, RobMac said:

Great to see the investment...but DW as clueless as ever, about theming and layout!

How so? The theme and layouts as I understand them sound quite well planned and thought out?

They're:

1. Merging the two kids areas (that are quite a distance apart) into a single unified zone, using both ABC, Wiggles and non-IP themes.
  2. Installing a splash pad adjacent to ocean parade, and extending the 'parade' beyond it to encompass the orphaned KFP Land attractions (themes to be revealed, but "ocean")
  3. Returning RiverTown to the River, potentially restoring the old "gold rush town" style feel by the murrisippi, returning the cars to where they should be, and bringing in a new coaster also themed to the same
  4. Putting a 'fairground' weenie front and centre inside the park to give the entrance some kinetic energy without an elaborately distracting theme - its a main street attraction pure and simple and doesn't need any strong themes to work well.

The only thing in the above that I have even the remotest reservation about is the further bloating of the already enormous Ocean Parade. Since they no longer have wipeout, stingray, reef diver or flowrider, the things that made it "ocean" aren't really there anymore, and they could have taken the opportunity to make that area more cohesive, rather than bloat it further. But given the $50M+ they're already spending across a high majority of the parks footprint... i'm prepared to wait and see a complete job.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

But given the $50M+ they're already spending across a high majority of the parks footprint... i'm prepared to wait and see a complete job.

DW are understating the overall price or overstating the spend on each attraction because the maths doesn’t add up.  $35m for coaster + 15 m for rebranding the kids area leave nothing left for everything else DW has promised.  Tiger Island? Dreamworld Flyer? Vintage Cars?  Gut feeling is $35m for coaster and $15m for everything else.

5 minutes ago, rappa said:

Which is worse? Claiming Sea World’s coaster is the most iconic in the world, or putting the misconception out there that DW is building Indiana Jones from Disneyland California?

I'm sorry i'm not answering your question - but I have a question -

I've seen Village's marketing about 'most iconic', but haven't see anything mention Indiana Jones - what about Dreamworld's announcement are you referring to, so I can respond to your actual question?

Yesterday in the presentation they were saying over $50 million and today in interviews they’re saying over $60 million. Because as you say the new coaster is 35 million, the Dreamland and (I believe) works on Ocean Parade is 15 million. Then there’s the 2000 solar panels, tiger island changes, Dreamworld flyer (which has already been purchased and is being manufactured in Italy right now), plus the vintage cars and other works that happen in the Rivertown area. I can see this being more towards the $70 million price tag. 

2 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'm sorry i'm not answering your question - but I have a question -

I've seen Village's marketing about 'most iconic', but haven't see anything mention Indiana Jones - what about Dreamworld's announcement are you referring to, so I can respond to your actual question?

Every news article has said Indiana Jones style ride. Now we savy people can work out its the more obscure Indy coaster he is talking about. But the media and public instantly go to the Disneyland version, and DW aren’t stupid, they knew exactly that’s what would happen.  

11 minutes ago, New display name said:

Where are they going to put 2000 solar panels?  I have 20 panels on my roof, and it covers half the roof.

I don’t know, but I’d say they could potentially go on the old big brother stage/blue lagoon site. I don’t think they have enough roofs within the park for that many. 

5 minutes ago, rappa said:

There’s a lot of room if you close the entire wildlife section at the rear of the park…

No need to close it down and the hassle of relocating the animals.  With DW's newfound attitude towards tigers, DW will be allowing tigers to roam the park for nature to take its course.

• Love it! 1

8 minutes ago, rappa said:

Every news article has said Indiana Jones style ride. Now we savy people can work out its the more obscure Indy coaster he is talking about. But the media and public instantly go to the Disneyland version, and DW aren’t stupid, they knew exactly that’s what would happen.  

Damn, I haven't seen any (and honestly, haven't been looking at articles behind paywalls, so i've kept with the Dreamworld website).

image.thumb.png.e1417be2c88c6d2636fd80bd06a4b1fb.png

So what i'm picking up is the media have confused their information, and made an assumption about a ride type, that they are very very wrong about. 

And you want to know whether Village directly making a laughable claim is worse than the media getting a very silly game of chinese whispers badly wrong?

Village clearly. In Dreamworld's case, the park didn't do anything to cause confusion relating to Indiana Jones - although as we've often pointed out, the claim of "World Class" is frequently used, and seldom factual, so I will 'pooh-pooh' dreamworld's use of the term also.

8 minutes ago, New display name said:

Where are they going to put 2000 solar panels?  I have 20 panels on my roof, and it covers half the roof.

Ask the mouse

image.png.246227d5c9a060060ab05fd85683ac15.png