What if VRTP cut ties with Warner Bros. and was forced to drop the WB brand at Movie World?

TBoy

I have thought of a possible scenario at Movie World. What if Warner Bros and Village Roadshow decided to cut ties with each other and Movie World was forced to be  rebranded to non-WB items? What would it rebrand to, and would it have a generic theme or would they go with Sony Pictures etc.

Im no expert on partnerships with brands and stuff like that but I think the first thing would be switching the name to "Movie World" and getting rid of the name "Warner Brothers Movie World". Also, all the rides, shops and names would need to be changed. They could potentially team up with marvel. Superman escape could become spiderman escape

3 hours ago, TBoy said:

I have thought of a possible scenario at Movie World. What if Warner Bros and Village Roadshow decided to cut ties with each other and Movie World was forced to be  rebranded to non-WB items? What would it rebrand to, and would it have a generic theme or would they go with Sony Pictures etc.

Village already have a deal in place with Paramount for Sea World so they are in a position to bring over those licenses to MW if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

Village already have a deal in place with Paramount for Sea World so they are in a position to bring over those licenses to MW if they wanted to

Yes Paramount and Sony would be a good option. Highly doubt Disney/Fox or Universal would partner for obvious reasons.

If they go with Sony, they could do a deal with Marvel (as SpiderMan/Venom is released by Sony not Disney) and try to include other Marvel properties. The rides could be:

• Spiderman Escape (retheme of Superman)
  • Marvel Rivals Hypercoaster (retheme of DC Rivals)
  • Doctor Doom (retheme of Green Lantern)
  • IronMan SpaceShot (retheme of Batman Spaceshot)
  • Loki's Time Spinner (retheme of Doomsday)
  • Wild West Falls (no retheme, just the logo replaced on the cars)
  • Hotel Transylvania Spooky Coaster (retheme of Scooby)
  • The Avengers: Alien Invasion (retheme of JL Alien Invasion)
  • Sony Studio Showcase (retheme of WB Studio Showcase)
  • Hollywood Stunt Driver (no retheme)
  • Roxy Theater (no retheme, shows changed to Marvel/Sony Pictures Animation)
  • Street Stars Parade (characters changed to Marvel/SPA)
  • New York Film Academy (no retheme)
  • Spider-Man Meet and Greet (retheme of Tom and Jerry)

Not sure about Looney Tunes/WoO).

I'd imagine it'd be quite devastating for VRTP to have to cut ties with Warner Brother.

Imagine having to retheme majority of your rides and areas, they'd have to make so much costumes out of nowhere, all in such a relatively short period of time. Removing the big Joker face on top of DC Rivals, that big lantern logo on Green Lantern, having to order all these new trains (especially for Superman Escape). 

In my opinion, it will never happen. 

If it was to happen, it would be a very long process, and will be a very expensive one. 

And I highly doubt VRTP would theme the entire park around Marvel, or another brand or studio. Since last time they did, it cost them a lot of money.

Edited by Prequel
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TBoy said:

Yes Paramount and Sony would be a good option. Highly doubt Disney/Fox or Universal would partner for obvious reasons.

If they go with Sony, they could do a deal with Marvel (as SpiderMan/Venom is released by Sony not Disney) and try to include other Marvel properties. The rides could be:

• Spiderman Escape (retheme of Superman)
  • Marvel Rivals Hypercoaster (retheme of DC Rivals)
  • Doctor Doom (retheme of Green Lantern)
  • IronMan SpaceShot (retheme of Batman Spaceshot)
  • Loki's Time Spinner (retheme of Doomsday)
  • Wild West Falls (no retheme, just the logo replaced on the cars)
  • Hotel Transylvania Spooky Coaster (retheme of Scooby)
  • The Avengers: Alien Invasion (retheme of JL Alien Invasion)
  • Sony Studio Showcase (retheme of WB Studio Showcase)
  • Hollywood Stunt Driver (no retheme)
  • Roxy Theater (no retheme, shows changed to Marvel/Sony Pictures Animation)
  • Street Stars Parade (characters changed to Marvel/SPA)
  • New York Film Academy (no retheme)
  • Spider-Man Meet and Greet (retheme of Tom and Jerry)

Not sure about Looney Tunes/WoO).

This would not happen.  Sony don't own the theme-park rights to Spiderman, just the film rights.  Marvel still owns the theme-park rights.  Marvel is owned by Disney and Disney is already using Spiderman in their own parks.

Also, Universal already have the Marvel theme-park rights for the comic book versions of the characters - including Spiderman.

You're more likely to see them partner with Paramount and access all of the Paramount IP - including Star Trek, Top Gun, Mission Impossible, Transformers and Paranormal Activity. 

This would be a stronger suite of possible IP to license than Sony which really only has The Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Jumanji, Men in Black and Underworld - all of which are effectively dead with no theatrical releases or only box-office failures for many years.

They'd be more likely to leverage some of the IP from their own VREG (co)productions - like The Matrix, Happy Feet, Sherlock Holmes, Mad Max and Gatsby, than to work with Sony.

20 hours ago, i2145 said:

They could potentially team up with marvel.

Not sure Disney would be happy with that.

12 hours ago, Prequel said:

having to order all these new trains (especially for Superman Escape). 

Nah, all the parts you'd need to change are 'bolt on' pieces to base cars. The trains don't need replacing, just the shells.

The good thing about partnering with Paramount is you are also doing a deal with Channel 10, maybe if a rebrand happens Ten can have exclusive previews of new rides and shows for their news as well as even Wild West Falls being rebranded to Paramount mountain. Also IIRC Village and Ten did a deal for Village movies to be aired on Ten so that adds another factor with going with Paramount.

1 hour ago, TBoy said:

The good thing about partnering with Paramount is you are also doing a deal with Channel 10, maybe if a rebrand happens Ten can have exclusive previews of new rides and shows for their news as well as even Wild West Falls being rebranded to Paramount mountain. Also IIRC Village and Ten did a deal for Village movies to be aired on Ten so that adds another factor with going with Paramount.

No one wants to be aligned with Ten. They are an abomination of a failure in every sense. Everything they touch turns to shit

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

No one wants to be aligned with Ten. They are an abomination of a failure in every sense. Everything they touch turns to shit

The BBL and AFL turned to shit when it moved to Seven/Fox, not Ten. When they were on Ten everyone loved it, and I have seen many people saying "AFL was the best on Ten" The BBL was becoming big on Ten but when it moved in 2018 to 7/Fox it went downhill.

Yes you can say it about the Melbourne Cup and A-League, but the former is on RACING.COM and Sky Racing where people go to mainly watch horse racing, and the A-League ratings was already so shit on ABC that it moved to ABC ME.

Ten/Paramount+ apparently are trying to get Cricket, and have reportedly bid the highest above of 7/Fox/Nine. Just because it might be on Ten doesn't mean the game will suddenly die. News might turn to shit, but not sport on Ten.

If VRTP made a deal with Ten/Paramount to rebrand Movie World (if WB gave up on them) I would like to see the WWF mountain rethemed to Paramount Mountain (unlikely but would be great) and they could have a "test your skills at newsreading" in one of the buildings branded to 10 News First. 

So Ten is great because they have sports coverage? They pay exorbitant $$$ for sports because they brings viewership regardless of what channel it’s on, and what does viewership bring? Ad revenue. 

that’s why Ten is going all out for sports, because they cannot draw a market to any of their original productions, so without sports they’d be dead in the water.

it’s a moot point, but a ten/paramount re-theme of Movie World is horrendous. You don’t theme your park to the worst performing commercial station in the country (by a long shot) 

I dunno, I'd be all about Cricket Rivals HyperCoaster.

To be honest though pretty much every idea in this thread is kind of horrendous in it's own way. The only half thought out idea was to lean into Village Roadshow's catalogue, and aside from that do a few one off agreements. All this stuff about buying theme park rights off of Sony for Spiderman and going with Marvel but not Disney and all the rest was so out of touch with reality that I had a panic attack 😂

• Like 1

If they cut ties i’d say turn the park over to Universal Studios, i’d love to see a universal park down here and this would be an easy opportunity. Im not sure for all of the themes but my current ones in mind would be;

SDSC - Despicable Me

Superman - Studio Tours

Possible storyline could be a normal studio tour is taking place however a fire effect on a set goes wrong and you need to evacuate the building. Trains would be replaced to new gen Intamin trains (like on Velocicoaster)

WWF & Villains Unleashed - Jurassic Park / World

give the whole area an overhaul with a new ride / coaster, maybe knock down the soundstage between both areas to open the space up for a new coaster or make an indoor coaster / experience. 

WoO - Universal Monsters?

The Castle could rethemed to Dracula’s Castle, gives great opportunity for the racing coaster retheme, i think it would work well (obviously toned down a bit as it’s a family area.)

Kids WB Zone - Secret Life Of Pets

The movies are very popular with younger kids and i feel it would give a great opportunity to expand and potentially add in a new dark ride along with some new kids rides replacing some of the outdated ones (such as Speedy Gonzula’s, Tweety’s ect.)

JL - Removed

JL ride systems and ride as a whole doesn’t scream universal, so i could see the ride being replaced with a newer more advanced dark ride. The theming would match GL, Batwing and DCR as that would become its own little area, unsure of the theming for that area so far.

This imo would be the best move if they were to cut ties, it would also be pretty awesome having HHN locally (never been, but it looks incredible.)

Edited by Rivals

This entire thread is kind of moot.

WB will not be cutting ties with VRTP, unless VRTP chooses to drop them.  If that ever happened WB would start slashing licensing fees to keep VRTP attached.

Why?  WB is broke.  They just got bought by Discovery and still have $40 Billion in debt. They've had a number of flops and are doing a hard re-boot of the DCEU, returning to more Harry Potter and LOTR movies over the long term.  HBO Max is bleeding money so they're merging it with Discovery+ to help cauterize the wound.  For at least a decade, WB has had grossly incompetent management who made some of the following decisions:

• Removing Henry Cavill as Superman
  • Casting Amber Heard as a lead in Aquaman 2 (they're trying to recut the film to limit her involvement).
  • Attempting to build an entire DCU around The Flash with Ezra Miller as the lead (they're not even sure how they will release that movie now).
  • Making a Batgirl movie as an HBO Max exclusive.
  • Making a purely lesbian-focused batwoman tv show for CW which had no broad appeal to comic fans or CW viewers (typically teenage girls)
  • Rushing a Justice League movie without giving the heroes their own introduction films first.
  • Hiring Joss Whedon to take over Justice League from Zack Snyder
  • Cancelling Harry Potter films because the execs didn't like JK Rowling's trans-exclusive feminism
  • Attempting a Matrix sequel decades after the original film - and releasing it in theatres (expensive) with a simultaneous streaming release on HBO max.
  • Asking the company that cut the trailer to re-edit David Ayer's Suicide Squad.

This is just a snapshot of the bad decisions that have been made.  WB is an absolute dumpster fire of a company and Discovery have got an uphill battle trying to pay down the debt and get them back to profitability. Right now, WB cannot afford to lose a single dollar of revenue, so there is zero chance of VRTP losing the WB branding, if anything they're likely to want VRTP to use non-DC IP and might be willing to discount the prices (like Wizard of Oz) to make that happen.

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

it’s a moot point, but a ten/paramount re-theme of Movie World is horrendous. You don’t theme your park to the worst performing commercial station in the country (by a long shot) 

What I am trying to say is not a full blown Ten retheme, but just maybe a test at newsreading or maybe a Ten themed ride (like SP7 at Wonderland) The rest would be Paramount themed rides.

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

If they cut ties i’d say turn the park over to Universal Studios, i’d love to see a universal park down here

Yes that would be great, get rights off Universal to rename it to "Universal Studios Gold Coast" Universal Studios Singapore's main street looks similar to Movie World so why not make MW look like that?

RE: JL being removed, why not replace it with a Simspons ride clone? The Simpsons is one of the most popular shows on the planet, and Disney have been willing to give other parks use of The Simpsons, like USF/USH.

But in all cases, the most likely option is for MW to remain with WB.

Edited by TBoy

9 minutes ago, TBoy said:

Yes that would be great, get rights off Universal to rename it to "Universal Studios Gold Coast" Universal Studios Singapore's main street looks similar to Movie World so why not make MW look like that?

RE: JL being removed, why not replace it with a Simspons ride clone? The Simpsons is one of the most popular shows on the planet, and Disney have been willing to give other parks use of The Simpsons, like USF/USH.

But in all cases, the most likely option is for MW to remain with WB.

I was meaning have VRTP sell the property to Universal, as much as i love Leviathans theming i just don’t think they could pull of Universal level.

With my Idea, replacing JL with Simpsons would mean BW, GL and DCR would all be Simpsons themed, maybe change the Secret Life Of Pets area to a Simpsons area and have the new dark ride be a Simpsons dark ride, that could work well.

But I do agree, they won’t sell or cut ties with Warner Bros, this is all just hypothetical talk :) 

1 hour ago, TBoy said:

Universal had the licence prior to the fox buyout. Same situation as Marvel. Also, have you seen the size of the building they use vs what we have?

• Like 3

On 10/12/2022 at 7:16 PM, remedax said:

Not gonna lie rethemeing Scooby Doo to a Matrix themed ride starting the ride travelling to Zion avoiding different robots and such.  Basically it ends in that Rave scene in Zion in the laser room and ends with Neo ascending, idk?

why retheme Scooby? i couldn't think of a more perfectly matched ip and ride for the role it plays - the family attraction parents & kids can ride together. plus you aren't going to retheme a ride twice - id say you'd be starting over on a from scratch family ride once the current theme gets tired. you'd be better off razing dc villains & studio showcase and putting up a new ride building there if you wanted to do matrix.

Edited by Baconjack

On 10/12/2022 at 2:10 PM, wikiverse said:

WB will not be cutting ties with VRTP, unless VRTP chooses to drop them.  If that ever happened WB would start slashing licensing fees to keep VRTP attached.

VR and WB haven’t exactly been on friendly terms lately. 

https://deadline.com/2022/05/warner-bros-slapped-by-village-roadshow-suit-matrix-streaming-1234927842/amp/