Wet n Wild SurfRider taken off website

Natti_amusements

5 minutes ago, REGIE said:

will it be a new credit when it’s at movieworld?

Not too sure. Project Zero at Gumbuya is considered a new credit but that may be because the ride was fully refurbished with a new colour and theme. Also that it was relocated 1,000 km not 900m. Maybe up to RCDB?

• Like 1

Typically I don’t consider relocations as “new” credits, but each to their own. I won’t count Project Zero as new, but that’s just my preference. At the end of the day a credit count only really matters to the person counting.

As for the claims that SR will somehow ruin SE’s skyline, it’s less than half the height so I doubt this will be the case.

Edited by aaronm

1 hour ago, jhunt2 said:

when you yourself admit that it would only look cluttered if the colour scheme doesn't fit with SE

That's a mischaracterisation and a half. But if we're all aboard the speculative train, how is your argument any different? Colour scheme would be one mitigating factor, but not the only one. How about having a cattle farm queue line in the middle of SE? You think that's enhancive to aesthetics?

1 hour ago, jhunt2 said:

The entrance to AA was through this area for years, and that's now gone

The difference is that AA had an enclosed queue building and higher throughput per hour.

18 minutes ago, joz said:

Do you really think plonking out the front is giving it a cohesive theme?

18 minutes ago, joz said:

Do you knock down the toilet block/photo center or stars or none of these or all of these?

Do you really think plonking it out in the middle of SE is giving it a cohesive theme? See, two can play that game.

Probably neither, but I don't profess to be an engineering expert. Why is it infeasible to knock out the wall between the cafe and the toilet block and extend the path? Then you've got an area cordoned off just for the ride. I'm sure you agree the "carpark coaster" meme is trite and lazy; DC Rivals technically has the problem, but if it's a good ride, who even cares? At least you've got space on that strip of land to theme a queue properly, and you're moving traffic away from SE.

22 minutes ago, joz said:

You could make a compelling point that it's more stuff at the front of the park which will do nothing to spread the crowds out

See above.

29 minutes ago, joz said:

of course you got called out

Called out on whose behalf? Yours? We don't have to agree, but I never claimed I had the authority to judge a clear-cut better choice, nor do I have to. On a tight footprint, any spot would be a compromise. Honestly, if the ride was fated to the scrapyard, would that be so upsetting? It's more than fifteen years old. But if they're going to exhume every last bit of life out of it, at least do it in a way that makes sense.

• Love it! 1

1 minute ago, aaronm said:

Typically I don’t consider relocations as “new” credits, but each to their own. I won’t count Project Zero as new, but that’s just my preference. At the end of the day a credit count only really matters to the person counting.

Yeah it’s a tricky one. I call Big Dipper ll and goldcoaster / c / hwsw, two different credits due to them both being in such different settings 

but idk about SR I guess I will wait and see in the theme/color

As with all change it might take time to get used to SR being in SE but I think it’s a positive at the end of the day. (And hopefully will push DW even more to try and stay Australia’s biggest theme park not just in land holding but rides

5 minutes ago, TBoy said:

Project Zero at Gumbuya is considered a new credit

According to who?

What is definitionally a "new" credit is a point of contention among enthusiasts. I would say that neither Project Zero nor Surfrider 2.0 would constitute "new" credits, but others may disagree. I'd say the same about Nemesis at Alton Towers (which I've been on). If I ever get to go on after its re-tracking, is it a new credit? I still don't think so. An RMC/GCI conversion is a different animal, because you have a completely different track type, modified layout and new trains.

5 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

The difference is that AA had an enclosed queue building and higher throughput per hour.

Yes... and hence, more people walked through the SE/AA entrance plaza to reach that ride than there will be once it becomes the SE/SR entrance plaza. It's not going to create more foot traffic just because its throughput is slower. People still only have to walk to the entrance of the queue regardless of how long they wait in said queue.

all aboard the speculative train

Pretty much sums up your complaints about the aesthetics so far. We don't know the colour scheme, queue design, theme, station design, general precinct upgrades or anything about this project other than what the ride is and a generally educated guess at which way it will be oriented, and yet you're complaining that it's going to look bad. I'm not the one speculating on whether it will look bad/good. Come opening date I may agree with you. I'm simply saying you're awfully riled up about aesthetics when we don't even have the foggiest idea what changes are about to be made to the area.

I disagree with you on the skyline factor purely because I don't think an Intamin Surfrider has the surface area at height to interfere with a larger-scale coaster. That's it. The rest, I'm simply saying, is to be decided and you certainly shouldn't be so upset about it yet.

20 minutes ago, jhunt2 said:

Pretty much sums up your complaints about the aesthetics so far

Except that it doesn't. We definitively know the ride type, its appearance and height, the location and approximate size of the area, and its surroundings. I don't need a crystal ball to make further conclusions, even in spite of what we don't yet know at this stage. I guess we agree to disagree and leave it at that? I'll be looking down on you from above as I crest over the SE top hat. 😏

23 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

But if we're all aboard the speculative train, how is your argument any different? Colour scheme would be one mitigating factor, but not the only one. How about having a cattle farm queue line in the middle of SE? You think that's enhancive to aesthetics

Than a feild of white gravel? Yes all those things improve the aesthetic. Totally unthemed, as is, would look better than what is there currently.

Wouldn't have been much higher towards the end. One train with 20seats, and a more iconic ride overall.

Do you really think plonking it out in the middle of SE is giving it a cohesive theme? See, two can play that game.

No, I never claimed it would. YOU claimed it would have a cohesive theme if plonked randomly out the front, so you can't play that as well. As it happens, I actually don't think it's that important in this case. Batwing works perfectly fine just being a ride. Surfrider would too. While we're on Batwing, do you think it makes GL's queue longer?

and you're moving traffic away from SE.

It's Interesting I gave you the crowd control argument and suddenly it's a key point, when up until then it's pretty muxh been all about the skyline looking cluttered and aesthetics. FWIW it doesn't solve the issue of the park being front loaded, which could have been a good point if you chose to make it.

But if they're going to exhume every last bit of life out of it, at least do it in a way that makes sense.

What they're doing makes perfect sense. They're adding extra capacity by adding a small ride to a small plot of land which won't do much for attendance. If you personally think it would be better elsewhere because *reasons*, sure. But nothing you've said is really selling the idea.

25 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

I would say that neither Project Zero nor Surfrider 2.0 would constitute "new" credits

Just to end on something i agree with; while I don't do the whole 'credits' thing, I agree with you on this, and Nemesis v RMC conversions. Same also applies if you went all 'Coaster of Thesus', that wouldn't count as a second coaster either - Even if all the original parts were put back together so their were now 2 coasters.

16 hours ago, Gazza said:

You can already walk under several sections of Superman though?

Great points! Didn't consider those areas. 

10 hours ago, Naazon said:

Count what makes you happy. Or don't and just enjoy life without putting a quantitative figure on everything.

I enjoy counting credits when I'm on a trip to get an idea of what's on offer within a park and keep a faux diary of sorts, but I despise talking about them outside of travelling. It makes me feel like a wanker. 

11 hours ago, REGIE said:

For the people who consider SR a coaster credit will it be a new credit when it’s at movieworld? It is a relocated ride that is literally still in the same post code but I see no reason why it would not be a new “credit”

No because if I rode Crazy Coaster at the Melbourne Show, and then the Ekka, its still the one ride.

11 hours ago, TBoy said:

Not too sure. Project Zero at Gumbuya is considered a new credit but that may be because the ride was fully refurbished with a new colour and theme. Also that it was relocated 1,000 km not 900m. Maybe up to RCDB?

Nah, RCDB list relocations at the bottom of the page.

On coastercount if you have already ridden a coaster in one location, it is blacked out in subsequent locations to avoid counting twice.

image.thumb.png.b777207c3634cba9c188ea1bf4df7713.png

image.png.790443cec314eb34ce9e80cb993aa471.png

General consensus seems to be that relocations don't count twice.

So re the crowd control and clutter arguments.

-Ive never felt that MW was that dense in terms of ride anyhow. There's definitely the ability to fit more in. At some parks a themed zone might have 3 or 4 rides, but at MW there are several zones anchored by a single ride.

So if it works elsewhere to have 3 rides close together, why would it be problem here? For example areas like Ocean parade back in the day had a denser collection of rides.

-The area used to have the entrance Arkham, its quieter than what it used to be. The Lethal courtyard was always a ghost town, so its nice that Wizard of Oz will make better use of that.

-In terms of Aesthetics, right now the site is gravel and the back of the JL building, with a few AC units and so forth.
Putting a ride in the middle would actually help hide those AC units etc, and would be a good excuse to do some landscaping and walkways around the ride to replace the gravel.

image.thumb.png.ca832302ec6bee43b888a84da1ce9d69.png

-Surfrider is a pretty simple design. A couple of extra spikes sticking up wont look to cluttered imo.

• Like 1

A more contentious credit is Hulk at Universal, except for the lift hill/launch, they rebuilt the same coaster in the same spot. I was hoping coaster count would throw me a bone and give me a new credit lol. Rode it for the first time since 2010 last September, yikes it was brutal.

I go with whatever coaster count counts, which is no relocations. Coaster counter used to count them, but whatever. At the end of the day it's arbitrary for an individual, but there's mostly consensus in the coaster community.  

On 09/02/2023 at 1:47 PM, aussiecoasternerd said:

I know this has already been covered but I do really hope the replacement trains will be the new gen trains with lap bars. 

Do we even have evidence that new trains are being installed?

The soft OTSR's like what you see on maverick would be a really nice alteration to the existing ones imo but i doubt they'll be put on SR. Those intamin harnesses aren't very kind to taller people

Edited by Baconjack

2 hours ago, Baconjack said:

The soft OTSR's like what you see on maverick would be a really nice alteration to the existing ones imo but i doubt they'll be put on SR. Those intamin harnesses aren't very kind to taller people

I don’t know if there is any hard evidence that there are going to be new trains but the old trains haven’t been on the track since I think early 2021. But I’m not sure.

9 hours ago, downunder said:

A more contentious credit is Hulk at Universal, except for the lift hill/launch, they rebuilt the same coaster in the same spot. I was hoping coaster count would throw me a bone and give me a new credit lol. Rode it for the first time since 2010 last September, yikes it was brutal.

I go with whatever coaster count counts, which is no relocations. Coaster counter used to count them, but whatever. At the end of the day it's arbitrary for an individual, but there's mostly consensus in the coaster community.  

Yeah I just find it kinda interesting how the credits think works and just fun to count. It doesn’t matter too much to me but it’s fun counting. I feel like backwards joker is almost a completely different credit but I don’t count it as one but it’s more different then a relocation 

10 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Intamin did redesign the SurfRider in 2021 w/ new trains that utilize their modern lap bars, so they could hypothetically switch to those new trains if the track gauge is the same on both models, but the newer model's track seems wider to me which'd make a switch impractical. Also, the new trains were designed with greater capacity in mind, which meant more seats per rotational set (10 instead of 6), meaning the redesigned train had to be substantially wider than the older models, and as such there'd need to be a completely redesigned station to allow for said train. So it remains to be seen whether they use the same trains or not, but I doubt they'd pay for new (somewhat prototype, seeing as they haven't been used before) trains & a completely redesigned station just for a ~100pph boost on a ride they probably don't expect much ridership from, even if you assumed that they could do so in the first place.

Edited by Tricoart

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

This will most likely be the only look we’ll get of the area until SE opens back up from maintenance sadly

Nearmap generally does 6 flyovers of Movie World per year. Last year they didn't quite get that many due to the disaster response imagery they were doing elsewhere, but the last Movie World flyover was October, which is pushing 4 months ago, so we might get lucky and get some in progress shots there. 

Looking at past years though, they do most of their flyovers in the second half of the year, with only one flight between January and May... so who knows?

• rappa locked this topic