Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Overhaul

Spotty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope someone from VRTP has visited Prater and tried out Insider. The absolute gold standard of how to theme an indoor mouse, no unnecessary weird mirrors, broken screens, mistimed audio or other gimmicks, just a very well thought-out series of lights, plenty of fog, and a banging soundtrack. It really shouldn’t be too hard to get right.

On 22/1/2024 at 10:00 PM, aaronm said:

I hope someone from VRTP has visited Prater and tried out Insider. The absolute gold standard of how to theme an indoor mouse, no unnecessary weird mirrors, broken screens, mistimed audio or other gimmicks, just a very well thought-out series of lights, plenty of fog, and a banging soundtrack. It really shouldn’t be too hard to get right.

Thing is... the Mirrors actually work well, as it causes the lights to bounce off it and fill the room up more. Scooby opened with just a simple green and red laser set up, smoke machines and mirrors and it worked incredibly well.

19 minutes ago, aaronm said:

The broken mirror turntable makes zero sense in the context of the ride. Rides shouldn’t rely on people having seen a low-budget sequel to be coherent.

I was taking about the original mirrors... not the train wreck that next gen was. There was only ONE good thing that came out of next gen, and that was the upgrade to the laser show but other than that... yeah no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

There was only ONE good thing that came out of next gen, and that was the upgrade to the laser show but other than that... yeah no.

And to be fair that was really version 2.5 after Next Gen was terrible, there was a change in GM and some effort was made to make it a bit better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rappa said:

And to be fair that was really version 2.5 after Next Gen was terrible, there was a change in GM and some effort was made to make it a bit better. 

Ah yes... Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, Next, Next Gen.

As trashy as it was for a while, I kinda did like "Shed: The ride" as something a little bit different lol

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

"Shed: The ride"

HAHAHAHAHA what a name. Yea it was kinda cool. My favourite part would be all the excited guest who didn't know the ride had been gutted. Lols theit reactions afterwards were great. Especially when it was someone who had been on the ride many times to then talk it up to their friends and afterwards left completely disappointed and confused. 

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

Ah yes... Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster, Next, Next Gen.

As trashy as it was for a while, I kinda did like "Shed: The ride" as something a little bit different lol

Not quite as catchy but "SDSC - slightly reduced theming to the dark part of the ride." is my favourite way to refer to this (as VRTP marketing did on FB).

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if this is real but they're now saying there's no expected opening date on google review replies 

"Regrettably we can confirm that the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster has been closed for some time now. The current track had reached its end of life and is now getting a multimillion-dollar upgrade. This process will require some time, and as such, no new opening date regarding the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Next Generation has been announced. Our maintenance team is working hard alongside the manufacturers to ensure all refurb is carried out for a new spectacular Scooby Doo experience. "

Edited by Dean Barnett

The website continues to list it as being a 2025 debut, but they've never had a specific date or even season (at least, not since they initially said it would return in 2024).

What is interesting is that this comment makes clear the actual track is end of life, whereas previously, only 'upgrades' were mentioned to include new magnetic brakes, "partial" track replacement, and car and lift components replaced. 

This multi-million-dollar refurbishment/upgrade includes:

• Upgrades to the track for a smoother ride experience. This upgrade includes: braking system upgraded to magnetic brakes, partial track replacement, car and vertical lift components replaced with modern designs.
• New ride operating system, providing a more reliable operation
• New ride vehicles, fitted with state-of-the-art harnesses for a more comfortable ride experience
• Tester seat at the attraction entrance
• Theming improvements for guest experience

This sounds less like upgrades and refurbs, and more like an entire outright replacement.