Storm Coaster vs. Wild West Falls vs. The Plunge

TBoy

Storm Coaster vs. Wild West Falls vs. The Plunge  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one of the options, and the one with the most votes will win.

• Storm Coaster (Sea World)
    • Wild West Falls (Movie World)
    • The Plunge (Aussie World)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/02/23 at 01:00 PM

I have never been to AW unfortunately so I have no opinion made about The Plunge, but I had to go with WWF as my vote. It just screams classic, reminds me more of Splash Mountain (ridden) or Timber Mountain Log Ride (haven’t ridden, just going off of POVs) at KBF in terms of atmosphere. The variety and story-telling is classic, but charming, even when not all effects are working.

Storm is a graceful and smooth water-coaster, a Mack beauty imo, however it is very short, has mostly repurposed scrap as theming (still looks awesome, but less attention to detail IMO), however I do like the hull of the ship where the drop descends into. It is perfect for what it is aiming to be honestly.

What always bothered me though, was why they put the themed and immersive section AFTER the final drop, and not before as a build-up?? I feel that would have made a huge difference to the experience. However, best drop on a water ride in Australia is that awesome air-time popping drop on Storm, you really feel like you are in a typhoon! Not to mention, the mist is quite effective! 

Proud to have both WWF and Storm in my home country, both are great :)

Edited by Gtmichaels
Grammar

Damn, this one might be the hardest one (for me, at least), cause IMO they’ve all got their individual strengths. WWF is one of the best themed/looking log flumes in the world, and its backwards drop is a pretty neat feature, which I imagine is even more surprising if you don’t expect it. Storm’s pretty decently themed too, but it being a coaster means it’s got much more going for it in regards to the ride itself (also, I like that the exit walkway has an offshoot where you can stand to watch splashdowns, and get yourself absolutely drenched if you wish to). The Plunge doesn’t really have any theming to note, but it plays it’s part greatly and IIRC is the wettest of the three, which I like. Ultimately, though, The Plunge just isn’t as noteworthy as the other 2, and the new boats on WWF are rather painful if you’ve got legs that are any thicker than usual, so IMO Storm’s the best out of the 3 rides in their current state. WWF with old restraints & operational theming is better, though.

Edited by Tricoart

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

Because they’re both by Mack Rides?

Both don’t fully have any direct comparison ride. Both have indoor sections/the whole thing indoors.  I feel like they have similar thrill level and intensity levels too. Even though one is taller. They both have decently themed queue lines too.  And they are Mack but that’s not the main reason. But comparing it with the log rides makes more sense. 

WWF obvious answer here. In its day it’s the best themed ride in the country, it’s rather unfortunate most of the theming doesn’t work these days and the whole ride is ripe for a refresh beyond some boat replacements.

Storm’s flume section is disappointingly short for what it is, and it is more coaster than themed experience imo given the ‘story’ makes little sense. 

Aussie World I have never visited so can’t really comment.

• Like 1

Storm Coaster has always reminded me of an inferior Atlantis over at Sea World Orlando. More so now than ever, as the ride over in Orlando is essentially unrecognisable compared to its original iterations.

It’s suffered a similar fate to Wild West Falls, in which a lot of its effects have either fallen into disrepair or were turned off for one reason or another. A damn shame, as the original version of Atlantis was gorgeous themed water coaster. 

I’ll also never forgive Seaworld here in Australia for gutting The Bermuda Triangle ride and replacing it with Storm Coaster. I only got to ride it twice as a child, as it closed when I was 9, but I have very fond memories of it. Hope to get to Germany one day to ride the Bermuda clone.

• Like 1

A quality "Splash Mountain" type attraction is a sitter for DW.....but I doubt management have the talent to see the obvious and go for it!  Instead, they'll go out, find some other carnival type ride, issue hyperbole media statements and claim, it's a new world beating attraction coming soon to the Ekka...I mean DW!

Before the nervy kids kick in, Splash Mountain is undergoing [or soon to] major reworks and is DECADES old technology now and DW's shown it can spend some real ca$h, when it wants....to get suckered into the "coaster spiral"....when what it REALLY needs, is a world class water flume attraction...that's an all-ages calling card!

Edited by RobMac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RobMac said:

A quality "Splash Mountain" type attraction is a sitter for DW.....but I doubt management have the talent to see the obvious and go for it!  Instead, they'll go out, find some other carnival type ride, issue hyperbole media statements and claim, it's a new world beating attraction coming soon to the Ekka...

1. They never stated the Flyer or any other flat coming was it’s a “world beating attraction.”

2. I didn’t know a $35m themed roller coaster situated in a themed area is what you find in carnival’s now. 

This topic isn’t about Dreamworld and doesn’t even actually have any of their attractions listed in here. Based on most of your posts and the other threads you commented in over night I'm going to assume you’re only here hate on the park even if the thread you’re doing so in has no relevance to what you’re saying. There’s a difference between spreading hate and arguing a point or having an opinion, you’re clearly on one side of that more then the other.

• Like 2

WWF for me, though would be even stronger if the ghost town effects were more reliable. Some great sight gags in there when they work.

IMO Storm Coaster is let down by the fact that its splashdown is indoors. These rides double as entertainment for onlookers and hiding the finale sort of breaks that.

The Plunge is good fun, does it get any love for being Australia's last remaining permanent log flume?

18 hours ago, Gazza said:

I just don't think Australia has a whole lot of meaningful comparisons.

We often only have one of everything so it end up being shoehorned.

Agreed, also you can't really poll these rides against each other because they are 3 different rides type.  The poll doesn't say what poll is about.  Is it the best family ride? Is it the best ride in Australia?  Why are these 3 rides going against each other in the first place?   Rampage against Vortex is more of a fair & interesting poll.

I agree it'd be nice to have more 'on balance' comparisons but as pointed out, we don't have that many.

If you were building a 'all stars' lineup, and you had to choose one of these choices - even being all different - which would you want in your 'dream team' - and when you consider it in that light, it doesn't matter if they're all different, it still prompts you to choose which one you want for the park.

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

the plunge is essentially Australia’s last “classic” log flume.  

1 hour ago, aaronm said:

The Plunge is good fun, does it get any love for being Australia's last remaining permanent log flume?

Honestly Plunge is identical to the travelling option, which i see around QLD often enough so I'm not really fussed about it and doesn't give it any "last" bonus points.

4 hours ago, New display name said:

If you're building an all-star lineup, would you only want 4 rides in the whole park?  SC & WWF would have no problems being together in one park.   If we are saying, there can only have one ride that contains water, where are the battle boats from SW?

I think we're probably over-analysing this fun little poll contest a little too much...

3 hours ago, New display name said:

I rode The Plunge over Christmas while checking out Dingo Racer & The Plunge had no water running down the hills.  Is no water to the hills a permanent thing or was it just down on my visit?

Was cited by TPWW in their AW Vlog, so it does sound like it's permanent.