Sea World Construction (Possible New Atlantis extension/flat ride)

Tricoart

I guess new Atlantis was announced in May 2019, so would have been ordered and in the works a fair bit prior to that right?

https://www.parkz.com.au/photo/19333-Vortex_model/gallery/sort/newest/location/vortex-sea-world/offset/44

IAAPA was November, 6 months after the ride was announced  so it's pretty borderline if it would have been a viable choice at the time IMHO.

Edited by Gazza

Elaboration about the construction

It’s currently still just a large rectangular concrete slab (about the size of the Nickelodeon Store near the entrance, for reference), with no signs of footers, trenches, or anything other than the slab & a small pallet. The size is too wide, straight, and weirdly oriented to be just a path, and too long to just be a toilet block. As for the orientation, it doesn’t really seem like it’s made to face towards anything currently at New Atlantis, nor extend from the assumed continuation at the current pathway. It seems, if anything, like it’s oriented towards Jet Rescue, almost exactly facing the bridge nearby. Due to these circumstances, if I had to guess what it is, I don’t think it’s just a toilet block, but I don’t think it’s a ride either. Looks to me like it’s most likely to be a multi-purpose building of some form (probably including a toilet, like the ice cream store near Nickelodeon), connecting New Atlantis and Jet Rescue either through or alongside it. Photos:

IMG_6630.thumb.jpeg.44b391b2a114d97dc678d0170fe96c83.jpeg

IMG_6631.thumb.jpeg.4d46681f824a8936751518b12df872a6.jpeg

IMG_6632.thumb.jpeg.b6adf085f98488643000381d5287ba15.jpeg

About the bridge, though, sometime between my last visit and now, they’ve boarded up the arches underneath, obstructing the view of the site that I mentioned earlier.

On 13/12/2023 at 11:21 PM, Tricoart said:

And a wider angle image I took of the site in September, before the base is said to have been poured, for perspective’s sake.

IMG_6464.thumb.jpeg.9a36ea494e9dd63063eb8b8d4bc61098.jpeg

The best viewing angle of the construction (without going on a ride) is the one where these photos was taken, looking back underneath the bridge, toward Leviathan, on the path to Jet Rescue.

IMG_6633.thumb.jpeg.b048c87f49e68d2e624c5f2c60d33bbe.jpeg

The best angle I’ve found now, again without going on a ride, is just being tall enough to peek something over the barrier at the end of the current New Atlantis path.

Edited by Tricoart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Rivals said:

i really just can’t believe they’re adding a boh facility in prime Atlantis expansion real estate. 

Neither, but I feel that (much like many other things Village have done recently), they respond to things now and don’t think about the future and the impacts it will have

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, New display name said:

Because Leviathan requires year round maintenance

Capture.thumb.JPG.627352bc5ad5f1a08e65733303569542.JPG

I just don't understand the logic of using such a prime/guest accessible area of land within a park that is already short of land. The area (red), directly links to Nickelodeon Land and New Atlantis and would be perfect for another major attraction, or several smaller rides. 

In recent years they've really taken over this whole reclaimed land/Sea Viper site for just BOH stuff, so why couldn't they use the most northern area (blue) so it's tucked away in a corner that won't allow for much more anyways? Surely this shed can't be so critical to the park that it can't be located 100 metres away from Leviathan. 

On 08/01/2024 at 3:48 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Slab is 12m x 38m approx

map_20231228.thumb.png.f20076067c9f1178f65a49317319d9a9.png

And to make matters worse, they haven't alligned the shed with anything. It's be positioned facing north, when everything else around it is on varying angles, why not allign it with something to at least use this land a bit better. It makes this entire area of the park unusable for expansion. They've taken a 1600m2 area (red area) and placed a 450m2 slab in it, leaving 1150m2 of unusable space (unless they want to add more BOH area that's visable to guests).

• Like 2

Playing devils advocate here, it might be the *best* place for it. I'm assuming that bit of a shanty down on the old Sea Viper plot will move into this new shed and be removed, leaving that plot plus what's behind the maintenance shed of Leviathan. Pathway could eventually link up from Jet Rescue to the Atlantis pathway next to the new shed.

It's central to all the big rides where it's being built. Seems like a logistical nightmare having to cart stuff up to the front of the park for maintenance to take place.

They could have demolished some Monorail track to fit it in, but they didn't. Is this a good sign for the Monorail eventually returning?

As for needing the shed at all (in any position in the park). Do I remember correctly that they used to send trains over to MW for maintenance? Would they be building this now due to MW not having that capacity anymore being it's getting essentially 4 new roller coasters?

15 hours ago, themagician said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.627352bc5ad5f1a08e65733303569542.JPG

I just don't understand the logic of using such a prime/guest accessible area of land within a park that is already short of land. The area (red), directly links to Nickelodeon Land and New Atlantis and would be perfect for another major attraction, or several smaller rides. 

In recent years they've really taken over this whole reclaimed land/Sea Viper site for just BOH stuff, so why couldn't they use the most northern area (blue) so it's tucked away in a corner that won't allow for much more anyways? Surely this shed can't be so critical to the park that it can't be located 100 metres away from Leviathan. 

And to make matters worse, they haven't alligned the shed with anything. It's be positioned facing north, when everything else around it is on varying angles, why not allign it with something to at least use this land a bit better. It makes this entire area of the park unusable for expansion. They've taken a 1600m2 area (red area) and placed a 450m2 slab in it, leaving 1150m2 of unusable space (unless they want to add more BOH area that's visable to guests).

While they may need proximity to the wooden coaster (which I doubt considering the Wonderland maintenance facility was a 2 minute drive to Bush Beast and a 12 minute drive to Beastie), my biggest objection is the giant shipping container city that's in between the red and blue areas in the above reply. 

Several of those containers appear to be refrigerated, so I assume its F&B storage. Non refrigerated containers are also there which could literally be anything - but there's zero need for this to be occupying prime on-stage real estate. They already took up a significant part of the carpark for the Helicopter facility - if storage was needed it could easily have done similarly. 

To give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe this new shed will house all of those temporary BOH facilities, opening up that former Sea Viper site for future expansion. And if it’s true that SW are using MW’s maintenance facilities for some of their attraction maintenance, maybe that will free up some space for MW to get on top their stuff (but all of that could be completely wrong and they are continuing to make poor decisions)