Dreamworld post Rivertown - Whats next?

Tim Dasco

2 hours ago, themagician said:

It has indeed @rappa but for as long as I’ve been going to the parks, I don’t ever remember getting queue wait times like this, even in the peak of summer. Or is my memory deceiving me?

DC Rivals had a 4.5 hour queue during the Easter holidays last year. It did only have one train operating, but can you remember in any GC parks history, where a ride has got that sort of wait?

TOT used to get 3 hour waits regularly.

• Like 1

Just now, Ashley Jeffery said:

TOT used to get 3 hour waits regularly.

I remember it getting 2 hour waits, which was usually to the entry of the indoor queue, but 3 hours… damn

I know a lot of people thought this was one of the park best rides, so maybe it’s removal really did have a large impact on guest numbers. But realistically, the ride didn’t have much life left in it anyways and I imagine the cost to bring it back to its day one standards would not have been worth it 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tricoart said:

- Merchandise: Dreamworld has substantially more park-oriented designs & variety in items than MW has. However, MW also has the benefit of having tons of franchise merch, so I guess it depends there on which you’d prefer. For me, I’d prefer something about the park.

I still find it bonkers that DC Rivals has no merchandise. Imagine how many shirts they'd sell to thoosies!

Edited by Ogre

3 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I still find it bonkers that DC Rivals has no merchandise. Imagine how many shirts they'd sell to thoosies!

They did have some when it opened and according to their online store, some of it is still available:

https://shop.themeparks.com.au/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage%2Ccollection&options[prefix]=last&q=Rivals*

Maybes it’s still sold in park but only in one store and it’s limited stock 

2 hours ago, themagician said:

I remember it getting 2 hour waits, which was usually to the entry of the indoor queue, but 3 hours… damn

I know a lot of people thought this was one of the park best rides, so maybe it’s removal really did have a large impact on guest numbers. But realistically, the ride didn’t have much life left in it anyways and I imagine the cost to bring it back to its day one standards would not have been worth it 

I loved the To2 so much I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think it's far better than DC Rivals even if it's a 1 trick pony. 

5 hours ago, themagician said:

It has indeed @rappa but for as long as I’ve been going to the parks, I don’t ever remember getting queue wait times like this, even in the peak of summer. Or is my memory deceiving me?

DC Rivals had a 4.5 hour queue during the Easter holidays last year. It did only have one train operating, but can you remember in any GC parks history, where a ride has got that sort of wait?

As pointed out by other people waiting more than 2 hours for tower of terror was normal 10 years ago. Same goes for Superman before Rivals got built

1 hour ago, Baconjack said:

As pointed out by other people waiting more than 2 hours for tower of terror was normal 10 years ago. Same goes for Superman before Rivals got built

I can tell you right now 10 years ago a 2 hour line for Superman Escape during peak time was pretty much un-heard of. Unless the ride was running 1 train for whatever reason. When I was working there the line would maybe max out at 75 mins with a full queue building. However staffing was much better back then (2 loaders, 1 unloader, entry host and a sorter). It also helped having decent supervisors and staff to work with that actually encouraged and rewarded staff to increase efficiency (gift vouchers for the crew that could get the most numbers through a ride in a day, as well as other challenges).

Oh how the times seem to have changed. I still remember I think the record that we got on Superman when I was working was on a fright nights with 2 trains was 32 dispatches in a hour and each train was fully loaded which is 640 a hour. You'd probably be lucky to get 20 - 25 dispatches a hour with 2 trains these days now. The rides are more than capable of the capacity, it's just the staff / management don't seem to have any sense of urgency. Ride reliability would play a -small- party in dispatch times but not much. I'm not even going think about the numbers that Wild West Falls could pump through with a good crew before the ride was butchered. (approx 800 a hour with 13 boats and a sorter). Scooby was similar too.

I really hope that management wake up and realise how bad things are getting and do something about it sooner than later.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Curious to know why? Not saying you’re wrong, just want to hear your explanation for why you think it’s better.

It has to do with a lot of factors 1 being the theming before they added the corny music and the random screens it always made me more pumped to ride it.

I also loved the roaring sound it made it added a lot to the atmosphere of the park.

I loved the speed of the ride When I first went on it for the first time, I didn't expect it to go backwards. The feeling of weightlessness and facing straight down as it came back down the tower was so fun. I loved the adrenaline rush it caused. DC Rivals is a great coaster don't get me wrong, but it has never given me the same adrenaline pump as TO2. 

TO2 is a short 1 trick pony ride but even in the later stages of its life not going as fast etc. it was still a great ride which I never got tired of riding. 

I just don't get the same buzz from other rides. Might just be me 🤣I hope this explained why It's my favorite. I would love to hear what you guys think about what I said hopefully I explained it well. 

• Like 3

I think it comes down to two things. 

Firstly, ToT was a bit if a one of a kind OMFG kind of ride. Where as DC Rivals is a solid coaster, but internationally it’s one of many. Its good, maybe even great, but is it “OMFG WHAT WAS THAT?” good? Still why I 100% rate Superman over Rivals any day. 

Secondly ToT in its hey day was a time when the general masses weren’t as exposed to international attractions both via social media and also through affordable travel. 

Side note on merch… needs more nice polos

• Like 1

5 hours ago, themagician said:

They did have some when it opened and according to their online store, some of it is still available:

https://shop.themeparks.com.au/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage%2Ccollection&options[prefix]=last&q=Rivals*

they’re definitely still sold in the park (i believe in the lantern store), but it’s just not really ‘rivals’. like, you need to be relatively in the know to recognise that that specific design of the joker’s face is the one from the lift hill lights at the top of rivals. some designs that include the coaster itself, or at the very least its name, would be massively welcome additions. and, while i’m at it, give us a coasterdynamix nanocoaster. we’ve got the wooden levi train model, which is great, but a mini rivals nanocoaster would be perfect.

am kind of excited to see what merch jungle rush’ll have, though, may be thinking too grandeose but they could do some nice looking things with that theme if they so pleased.

Edited by Tricoart

On 30/12/2023 at 3:47 PM, themagician said:

That's true, those are technically DC Rivals, but I was meaning more in this style:

IMG_5432.jpg

More of a wish list than anything, but either way:

2024: reopening of the billabong restaurant
2025-2027: new Steamboat ride, considering Rivertown is making a comeback, and maybe a motor coaster re theme.

2028-2030: Re Develop Blue Lagoon. It would be great to have this classic area back would it not be?

2030-2032: New Rollercoaster in the old Thunderbolt area.

wish-list that will never happen but I’m saying it anyway.

remake Eureka Mountain Mine Ride:

remake Wiggles World:  

bring back Buzzsaw, maybe under a new name:

bring back Tower Of Terror:

bring back wipeout:

Bring back the bush ranger show:

26997F66-915E-4014-98E9-B13962D46FA7.jpeg

735F144E-81FA-49FA-87A6-1287B038A3FA.jpeg

7A3FDA93-98A5-4971-913D-1CF381FB7BAA.jpeg

45669B20-FEA8-4935-9024-39287B254281.jpeg

8353C9A7-9A4C-48C2-B5F4-16D0863AF183.jpeg

897C51B1-495D-428A-AE78-81C75F72212C.jpeg

FBCEE450-C776-42E7-B991-71C43C438F99.jpeg

4F741243-2557-4D08-95CE-A46FAEC342D0.jpeg

F386D6EB-7FF0-4953-9B73-EB18537E910B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 3:43 PM, Ogre said:

I have a drink bottle with the tallest \ fastest \ longest slogan, a bottle lanyard and a keyring from early on in it's life. I'm sure there was a shirt too, but....

On 30/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, rappa said:

Side note on merch… needs more nice polos

The park used to do some really good polo shirts and now you're lucky if they have one or two. I live in polos and a good polo should be:

• done in a dri-fit style fabric - viscous blends and wick away, not cotton \ poly - (see the Under Armour tiger woods style shirts, as an example)
  • embroider it. or get it done in dye-sublimation (there are some awesome designs you can do with dye-sub). Don't stick vinyl print on it as it doesn't breathe.
  • be generous with the sizes you stock. I'm an XL fit, but prefer a 2XL to sit a bit loose. Stock a 3 or 4 (or even 5) X size. dad-bods are your biggest polo wearer, and they've got the money to buy a decent quality polo, so offer it in as many sizes as you can without being stupidly overstocked. (if you can buy the size in Big W, you should stock it in your theme park merch).
On 30/12/2023 at 9:00 PM, Tricoart said:

while i’m at it, give us a coasterdynamix nanocoaster. we’ve got the wooden levi train model, which is great, but a mini rivals nanocoaster would be perfect.

I like these models, but I think a nano of rivals would be too much - the footprint is a Z shape, and you've got massive hills, the NIL and some supports - it'd be fiddly and cumbersome. I do think our parks have undervalued the benefit of the Dynamix product range though, and should offer more of their attractions in the lineup.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring back wiggles world? I can understand the other stuff but wiggles world?? Haha

I agreed with the general consensus.  2 New water ride's, new big Rollercoaster (RMC, intamin or vekoma) and maybe a new waterslide or two. Something decently long would be good.

Edited by REGIE

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Gary86 said:

Motorcoaster needs to go. Maybe a jungle themed log ride could replace it. 

Maybe just add TOT3 INSTEAD of removing moto because it is still a nice family coaster, replace the trains repaint it and it would look good and ride nicely on that note I think they need to replace Kenny's Forrest flyers trains to new gen to at least keep it relevant for when movie world opens their SFC

On 09/02/2024 at 3:44 PM, Gary86 said:

Motorcoaster needs to go. Maybe a jungle themed log ride could replace it. 

Motorcoaster may have been a worthwhile ride to install or not...but, it was a perfect example of the appalling theming or complete lack of theming, whichever way you want to look at it, at DW after its glory days of the 80's!/early 90's.  The attraction, was situated in the completely wrong part of the Park.  🙄