The Off Topic Topic

^Yes. So many people complain about them and think they relate to the American SeaWorlds. The park isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so people just support them or at least stop complaining. As far as I'm aware there isn't anyone else going out and resulting whales from shark nets. Yes some of the creatures do perform tricks, but most of these behaviours are ones that most of them would do in the wild. I fully support the park, and think everything they do and stand for is an essential part to southeast Queensland

Yes some of the creatures do perform tricks, but most of these behaviours are ones that most of them would do in the wild.

​Would any of the animals at SW survive very long if they were thrown back into the open ocean and left to fend for themselves?

I think tricks give these captive animals a purpose in life, something to do to earn their feed. Whether they are natural behaviours or not, I don't see why it matters as long as it isn't hurting the animals.

They probably enjoy the training and performing in shows otherwise they wouldn't do tricks in the first place.

^Precisely. Many think that the animals aren't fed well enough if they don't perform. Simple fact is that each animal's diet is carefully monitored, and those animals having an 'off' day will still receive the same quantity of food (and this is why sometimes you'll see 2 dolphins doing aerial stunts, and sometimes more - it depends who is 'in the mood').

The animals who don't perform aren't "punished" but they do receive negative reinforcement - which is usually the trainer ignoring them beyond necessary interactions - ie: they receive their food, but not the usual back scratch \ eye contact \ praise \ playtime. There is no punishment, only the restriction of positive behaviour.

Not really needing it's own topic I guess, but supposedly Seaworld had issues with people being stuck on the Skyway today. Haven't seen an article yet but it's supposedly coming up on the news soon.

Edit - so they were stuck for around 30mins. Had maybe 20 seconds of coverage. Supposedly smoke and heat coming from the ride. Believed to be an electrical fault.

Edited by reanimated35

Could well be the final nail in the coffin for the Skyway. They've been running it like it was about to break for a long time now. Down to three gondolas per group and operating at ridiculously slow speeds.

It would be great to see this ride replaced with a modern version that extends over the castle to the far back of the park to balance out foot traffic and make the most of the beautiful dolphin pools that have been off limits for many years now. I'm sure Doppelmayr could do a great job here. 

Did you know that one of the windows on Main Street at Movie World which says 'Sanderson - Maker of fine buildings'

If anyone wants to see what else they can find out about who they are, the names as they appear on the windows in Main Street:

S Ross publisher

menzies & Menzies contractors

barry Meyer talent agent

alan horn importers 

kevin tsujihara productions

dan romanelli agency

s reisenbach business manager 

graham mchugh

Wilburn mason literary agent

mr r Kirkby and me j kirby

nicholas winslow

steve peet cruise lines

n and j Griffith bail bonds

leslie arnett

m take publisher

john moore

r and g Burke talent agency

steven Courtney mechanical engineer

pearsons and Stevenson design

spedding precious metals

sanderson and Simmons builders of fine buildings

peter doggett shipping lines

wayne Edgar clock maker

wendys world importer of fun and happiness

dale magician

mark german

dorothy Barkley dance studio

geoffrey child

flanagan and sons importers

anthony frampton art dealer

anthony read taxidermist

k spiller pumps

thompson and morasaki partners

dianes photographic supplies

grahame o'connell stunt co

e wards farm equipment

jeff Hughes years of service 1974-2015 purveyor of everything

Could well be the final nail in the coffin for the Skyway. They've been running it like it was about to break for a long time now. Down to three gondolas per group and operating at ridiculously slow speeds.

It would be great to see this ride replaced with a modern version that extends over the castle to the far back of the park to balance out foot traffic and make the most of the beautiful dolphin pools that have been off limits for many years now. I'm sure Doppelmayr could do a great job here. 

​This sounds like a great idea.

What they need is a continuous load system - but they will need room for the wheelhouse AND storage for all the gondolas when it is not operating. Ocean Park's skyway was truly an effort in efficiency... But where to put it?

Looking at an overhead, unless they put the rear stationhouse somewhere around the old Viper site (which would then rule out anything large on that site in the future) - i can't see where it could fit?!?!

I'll tell you what, this afternoon was a great one to visit Movieworld. Miserable cold rainy weather all day, but we decided to take the kids after school anyway, figured what the hell, there's indoor rides lol. The park was dead, car park was fairly empty! 

The parade was on when we arrived, so we went straight to Scooby Doo. Quite literally walked right onto it (they were sending empty trains around!) and chuffed at our luck lol. The ride attendant said that it had been like that on and off all day - they only had 1500 through the gates today. Also walked straight onto Justice League. Hubby rode Superman Escape 3 times in a row. Kids also walked onto a lot of the kiddy rides. Not bad for only an hour and a half of park time lol. Winning! 

Comes to show that if you are happy to withstand a bit of bad weather on an off peak, winter weekday afternoon, you will be rewarded with what almost feels like having a theme park all to yourself ???

Edited by OceanGirl

Could well be the final nail in the coffin for the Skyway. They've been running it like it was about to break for a long time now.

The monorail is another attraction which has been a victim of this operating style for some time now. Very slow, one train operation. It wouldn't be so bad if it was a timetabled service, but it's not, and even on some days it's a struggle to even get a seat on the thing. I haven't seen it go a speed faster than walking speed for a long time now, nor have I seen more than one train on the track for a while. Is it knocking on deaths door as well, or is it just a case of poor operation practices?

Has anyone had any experience getting back lost property at Movie World?  I went into the Scooby queue with sunglasses on my head, they told me to put them between my feet for the ride, and somewhere along the way they either slipped somewhere unreachable, or fell out of the car.  On another note, apologies to anyone at Movie World today waiting in line for Scooby while they searched my car for my sunnies.  ;)   I've left my details with guest services, who said they'd call, hopefully today, once the ride was checked at the end of the day.  If I haven't heard, I'll try follow up tomorrow.

Also, saw HSD2 for the first time today - how long have they had the air guitar/dance cam?  I thought that was fantastic, probably enjoyed it more than the show itself.  

I found an image of the supposed lineup for Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 25 and I have to say, it's pretty interesting. Seeing as how there aren't any major horror film releases this year, it makes me wonder what we'll have this year at our own Fright Nights. 

Screen_Shot_2015-06-06_at_1.48.21_AM.thu

Edited by Zanstabar

Not sure if anyone has seen this before but wow!! Dont think that these would meet Australian safety standards but they would be a great addition to some of our smaller parks like Jamberoo and Adventure World!!. They would be a perfect addition for any park that currently has a toboggan run.

pipeline.ogv

Edited by Jobe

• rappa locked this topic