Arkham Asylum: Shock Therapy (Lethal Weapon Retheme)

ads086

Whiplash - Injury caused by a severe jerk to the head, typically in a motor-vehicle accident Can cause headaches. You don't need to have hit your head on anything at all. But it's ok, it's just like my comments about the leg pain, everyone who has experienced it has obviously either been making it up or just riding it wrong, because you know, people on here know a lot more about you than you do. Edited by reanimated35

I'm not really interested in anyone's argument on weather they get a headache or it's rough or anything like that, the point is it is BETTER than it was. Is it perfect, probably not but no one is saying that, but it IS better than when it was Lethal Weapon. It's not up for debate, its not a matter of opinion, it's scientific fact, with the physics to back it up that it is now better than it previously was. So I don't understand the sudden complains. People will ALWAYS be more prone to rider discomfort than others, I've come off plenty of rides not feeling right, it doesn't make anyone person right or another wrong, its just different from person to person. As for Audio, really, is it affecting your time in the house so much? I for one never saw it advertised anywhere, but maybe that was just me.

But it's ok, it's just like my comments about the leg pain, everyone who has experienced it has obviously either been making it up or just riding it wrong, because you know, people on here know a lot more about you than you do.

I'm with you on the leg pain as well reanimated. I don't believe they think we are making it up as much as we refuse to conform to their opinions and continue to speak against people that have the little piece of orange writing under their usertag that is the problem. I don't think audio would make any difference to this ride whatsoever.

... the point is it is BETTER than it was. Is it perfect, probably not but no one is saying that, but it IS better than when it was Lethal Weapon. It's not up for debate, its not a matter of opinion, it's scientific fact, with the physics to back it up that it is now better than it previously was.

It WAS better than it was. Sorry but I would take the head banging anyday as at least after a while your ears were fine again. I still have a headache that I have had to go to the doctors about 2 days after the ride. And why is it not up for debate? Because a community leader says it isn't? Where are these physics you speak of? Racing car drivers have a special piece of gear called the HANS device to prevent jolting and severe movement in the neck to prevent whiplash. While the old seats did not hold your head back they did prevent it from moving too far side to side meanwhile now your head can go pretty much anywhere it likes. Edited by Wyncenuros

Nah, see I'll give you the leg pain, even though I think you're being a sook. But I at least know what you're talking about so fair enough. But to say its rough and you got a headache well that's where I do kinda say well it is a coaster which pulls a significant amount of g's, that's probably what the problem is. I did go on Lethal not long before its demise, and even after adopting a 'safe position' I still hated the experience. Since the transformation I've found I could go on the ride, enjoy it, and go again. I've been on the ride about 10 times now and that was in 2 visits. There's no way you'd have got me on Lethal 5 times in a row. Yes it's forceful, no they haven't ironed out all the kinks, and there is a good deal of tightness around the legs at the end, but even so, to me it's now a good honest thrill ride. I'd genuinly rather go on Arkham than a B&M Batman clone, and you can't get me for brand loyalty because when they do something I disagree with I'll speak my mind. Capacity and audio issues not withstanding, I can't praise the new trains highly enough. To me, they've pretty much got a new ride because all of a sudden there's an inverted coaster at MW I'd queue to go on. After such praise I hope you can see why I've such difficulty with 'me and everyone around me had headaches'. Admittedly I haven't been on it post maintenance, so if I go on it and find its gone to crap, I'll be sure to let you know and I'll eat humble pie. If its still good for me, I'll let you know my findings and we'll just have to disagree about this. Doesn't mean anything bad of course, we'll just disagree on something. :)

After such praise I hope you can see why I've such difficulty with 'me and everyone around me had headaches'.

As with a lot of posts I present in these forums when comments or opinions of other people are involved no one likes to believe that the general public also make complaints about these things. My job is about listening to others and acting upon their feedback hence I hear so much of it as I am required to do so to be successful in my work. I have spent 13 years observing people and being objective about my observations without presenting my personal feelings and thoughts in what I observed. If someone crossed the road and entered a shop that is what they did. They did not cross the road to enter the shop. Same with people in front and behind me on a rollercoaster saying their harness was extremely tight on their legs at the end of the ride. I did not see them patting their legs and assume that the harness was tight. Do not get me wrong, after the retheme of Arkham I loved the ride, it was smooth and barely made a sound. I preferred it over Lethal Weapon. However, since the recent maintenance this is no longer the case. I can live with we will have to disagree, if we all agreed the world would be a boring place no? But...

I'm not really interested in anyone's argument on weather they get a headache or it's rough or anything like that, the point is it is BETTER than it was. Is it perfect, probably not but no one is saying that, but it IS better than when it was Lethal Weapon. It's not up for debate, its not a matter of opinion, it's scientific fact, with the physics to back it up that it is now better than it previously was

isn't a "we will have to disagree" statement. It is a "you are full of male cow excrement and are incorrect" statement.

I've mentioned before that I've only been on Arkham once and came off dizzy/light headed so didn't want to ride it again (one hour lineup prevented that anyway). Whether you could call it a "headache" is debatable but I can see how people would come off complaining of discomfort. And Movie World doesn't exactly have a great track record of on-board audio so that's not a major surprise.

I'm not really interested in anyone's argument on weather they get a headache or it's rough or anything like that, the point is it is BETTER than it was. Is it perfect, probably not but no one is saying that, but it IS better than when it was Lethal Weapon. It's not up for debate, its not a matter of opinion, it's scientific fact, with the physics to back it up that it is now better than it previously was. So I don't understand the sudden complains. People will ALWAYS be more prone to rider discomfort than others, I've come off plenty of rides not feeling right, it doesn't make anyone person right or another wrong, its just different from person to person.

Nah, see I'll give you the leg pain, even though I think you're being a sook. But I at least know what you're talking about so fair enough. But to say its rough and you got a headache well that's where I do kinda say well it is a coaster which pulls a significant amount of g's, that's probably what the problem is. I did go on Lethal not long before its demise, and even after adopting a 'safe position' I still hated the experience. Since the transformation I've found I could go on the ride, enjoy it, and go again. I've been on the ride about 10 times now and that was in 2 visits. There's no way you'd have got me on Lethal 5 times in a row. Yes it's forceful, no they haven't ironed out all the kinks, and there is a good deal of tightness around the legs at the end, but even so, to me it's now a good honest thrill ride. I'd genuinly rather go on Arkham than a B&M Batman clone, and you can't get me for brand loyalty because when they do something I disagree with I'll speak my mind. Capacity and audio issues not withstanding, I can't praise the new trains highly enough. To me, they've pretty much got a new ride because all of a sudden there's an inverted coaster at MW I'd queue to go on. After such praise I hope you can see why I've such difficulty with 'me and everyone around me had headaches'. Admittedly I haven't been on it post maintenance, so if I go on it and find its gone to crap, I'll be sure to let you know and I'll eat humble pie. If its still good for me, I'll let you know my findings and we'll just have to disagree about this. Doesn't mean anything bad of course, we'll just disagree on something. :)

As with a lot of posts I present in these forums when comments or opinions of other people are involved no one likes to believe that the general public also make complaints about these things. My job is about listening to others and acting upon their feedback hence I hear so much of it as I am required to do so to be successful in my work. I have spent 13 years observing people and being objective about my observations without presenting my personal feelings and thoughts in what I observed. If someone crossed the road and entered a shop that is what they did. They did not cross the road to enter the shop. Same with people in front and behind me on a rollercoaster saying their harness was extremely tight on their legs at the end of the ride. I did not see them patting their legs and assume that the harness was tight. Do not get me wrong, after the retheme of Arkham I loved the ride, it was smooth and barely made a sound. I preferred it over Lethal Weapon. However, since the recent maintenance this is no longer the case. I can live with we will have to disagree, if we all agreed the world would be a boring place no? But... isn't a "we will have to disagree" statement. It is a "you are full of male cow excrement and are incorrect" statement.

Ok - Wyncenurous - if you read both Rappa's and Joz's statements one after another, you'll see that they're essentially saying the same thing. Where Rappa says 'it's not up for debate' what he's saying is that the ride is vastly improved, so you can't say that it's worse than lethal weapon - it's an improvement. He didn't say you can't debate leg pain or headaches - he's saying it's not up for debate that it's better than it was - read his post again. I'll be honest - I've ridden Lethal, front, back and middle 10 times in a row, and another 5 times throughout the same day. I did not experience headaches - I kept my head forward, and braced for the g-forces, rather than being a rag-doll with my head lolling against the headrest. It seems to me that most people who get headaches or headbanging are the types who don't brace. I'm not saying you do or don't... i'm just saying most people i knew who came off lethal with bad headaches weren't bracing themselves against the forces. Trust me though when I say that although the signage and operators say 'head back'... it's not the best advice (but if your neck muscles aren't capable of resisting the g-forces - you're going to have trouble). I HAVE experienced the leg pain. It's quite a pressure, and in some instances, i've been 'posititioned' wrong, and experienced pain a little higher up if you know what i mean. Wedged as I am, in every case I have to wait until I get to the station, but it isn't unbearable. it isn't long-lasting. As soon as I hop out of the seat, take a step or two (in the case of re-rides - changing seats) - and i'm fine for another ride again. I'm not going to call someone a sook. I recognise that people are different. Wyncenurous - you are self confessed as preferring the shows and entertainment over the coasters - but to be fair - it is rare that you are on here to praise ANYTHING that the parks have done. Your comments are usually one sided, and generally very critical. Whether true or not, i'm not calling you a liar but you seem to receive unsolicited comments from members of the general public that are in full agreeance with your point of view. My family members are quite social whilst queueing - and it is rare that any member of the 'general-non-enthusiast-public' is as critical as the people you seem to meet. My point is - you, and everyone you meet, are extremely critical and opinionated of the parks. You always seem to be attacking them. So when the parks have actually done something good - improved an attraction that had numerous complaints and problems to a level where those complaints and problems are eliminated, or at the very least reduced, and you still attack them - you should expect to have those who think otherwise to come to the parks defence. It has nothing to do with being a community leader - or having an 'orange tag' underneath their avatar. I agree with them too, and so do many others on here. Nobody is saying your opinion doesn't matter, and nobody is saying that you must be lying - the comments above are simply saying that the ride is an improvement on it's former self, and it is, for all purposes, an incredible improvement on what we had.

Wyncenurous - you are self confessed as preferring the shows and entertainment over the coasters - but to be fair - it is rare that you are on here to praise ANYTHING that the parks have done. Your comments are usually one sided, and generally very critical. Whether true or not, i'm not calling you a liar but you seem to receive unsolicited comments from members of the general public that are in full agreeance with your point of view.

Below are the comments I have made in regards to the LW to Arkham retheme: Yes LW needed updating. Yes Arkham was a great choice. Yes they have done a wonderful job of the retheme. Yes the ride was a lot better than LW was in regards to guest enjoyment. I enjoy walking through the queue line and looking at the newly themed front of the building. I don't care that there is no audio as I do not see how that would improve the experience. These are all similar to comments I have made in that past in regards to this ride alone. Why is it that people focus on me presenting 2 negative facts (pain from the ride and a return of some of the issues it had as LW) and ignore the positive posts I make? Because it is more fun for people to disagree with me in an attempt to bignote themselves, which is something that runs rampant in these forums. Did have a whole lot more typed about this but yay internet crash. We will be heading to MW in a few weeks with a large group of family and friends which will include: young kids, young teens, 20 somethings, 40+ yo's. Will post their reviews of the day. Edited by Wyncenuros

well I have actually seen multiple reports that it is as bad.

I think no matter what you build, people will always find something to complain. I remember when SE first opened I heard people complain the pre-show (earthquake) part was boring and wish it was just the ride. You can't please everyone and now we live in a world with the Internet peoples opinions get heard a lot more. If a park could build a ride that EVERYONE was happy with and loved I think it would have to be a first for a theme park globally!

I just have to say I agree with joz and DJRappa. I have ridden Arkham since soft openings and would hazard a guess probably had the most rides of these forums. I rode approx 10 times this morning and had no headache/dizziness/anything. Yes slight leg discomfort which can depend on how much it tightens during the ride and how tight you pull it down to begin with.

I think no matter what you build, people will always find something to complain. I remember when SE first opened I heard people complain the pre-show (earthquake) part was boring and wish it was just the ride. You can't please everyone and now we live in a world with the Internet peoples opinions get heard a lot more. If a park could build a ride that EVERYONE was happy with and loved I think it would have to be a first for a theme park globally!

I love the earthquake section. I would say more than anything that occurs after the launch. The launch itself though can't be beaten in my opinion.

I rode approx 10 times this morning and had no headache/dizziness/anything. Yes slight leg discomfort which can depend on how much it tightens during the ride and how tight you pull it down to begin with.

Or how hard they push it down on you when they check the harness. And before anyone complains about the negativity towards the parkz from me in this comment... I understand that it is completely for safety and is a necessity for the ride to be sent... But how many of you have had your wrist dislocated because a staff member decided to push the harness in on you on superman before you were ready and without any warning? Edited by Wyncenuros

But how many of you have had your wrist dislocated because a staff member decided to push the harness in on you on superman before you were ready and without any warning?

No, I don't put my hands in a position where they could be pinched or trapped underneath awkwardly (Since the harness cant reverse unless the attendant does it) I sort of sit down and have my hands out at say 11 oclock 1 oclock. I get my harness down before the attendant has a chance anyway, even seated in the front. A lot of people seem to struggle against the resistance, but I regularly do lat pulldowns etc so it feels no different to that. Edited by Gazza

I love the earthquake section. I would say more than anything that occurs after the launch. The launch itself though can't be beaten in my opinion.

Have you tried any other accelerator coasters (not including Formula Rossa as it has slower acceleration). You should try out xcellerator at Knotts Berry Farm. Lap restraints and slightly faster acceleration. when you compare the amount of complaints for this to any other coaster, there is a massive difference in them. From someone who has never had a chance to ride the roller coasters on the Gold Coast (due to being injured when I visited), I just look at all these complaints and it seems that a large number of people are coming of this ride with issues that last longer then the old seats. Also with people saying "you weren't in the right position" well you shouldn't have to sit in a certain way just to avoid pain, that's just poor design. It should be that you can sit naturally (maybe not in a way that is normal to you but a comfortable relaxed position that a person would sit in if they didn't know you need to sit in a certain way) on the seats and have no discomfort at the end.

No, I don't put my hands in a position where they could be pinched or trapped underneath awkwardly (Since the harness cant reverse unless the attendant does it) I sort of sit down and have my hands out at say 11 oclock 1 oclock. I get my harness down before the attendant has a chance anyway, even seated in the front. A lot of people seem to struggle against the resistance, but I regularly do lat pulldowns etc so it feels no different to that.

We were in the front seats and I was assisting my wife with her harness as attendants don't press hers as tight as she likes. I sat down after helping her and the attendant pushed my harness down before I had chance to sit comfortably let alone pull down my own harness.

Have you tried any other accelerator coasters (not including Formula Rossa as it has slower acceleration). You should try out xcellerator at Knotts Berry Farm. Lap restraints and slightly faster acceleration.

Unfortunately going overseas to theme parks is not something that my wife and I can afford to do at this point in our lives.

I don't get why everyone is saying the harness is too tight on the legs, like as if its something they've never felt before....Wipeout has been running since 1993 and that thing has the tightest harness out of anything!

Yes but you rely heavily on the WipeOut harness at many points of the ride. It should be tight, however I have never found it to be uncomfortable or to have pain in my legs afterwards.

Ok to address a few points in no particular order. Yes Alex has it right, I'm not saying you can't debate that you don't like it, I'm saying it's not a debate that it is BETTER than the lethal train. I agree completely that no ride should be about 'well you didn't ride correctly' in order to enjoy it, having to brace is not acceptable. But Alex proves my point, he didn't get headaches from Lethal. I regardless of holding my head out or bracing against the restraint got headaches. Same will go for Arkham. Those that complain of headaches etc should not be riding. This ride is not for you, the forces are too high and violent and no train will fix that. Have you ridden batman the ride? It's very smooth but extremely violent and I'd dare say would be too much for you also. And leg pain, don't know what to say. Many many people like myself have no problem. As would have been the case with the test riders in R&D for the train. You can't build a ride for everyone, and better some leg pressure than falling out! Some people like the ride, some don't and that isn't going to change. I wonder if that fact requires further discussion? The orange tag under my name has no bearing here. This is my opinion as s site member.

I'm saying it's not a debate that it is BETTER than the lethal train. But Alex proves my point, he didn't get headaches from Lethal. I regardless of holding my head out or bracing against the restraint got headaches. Same will go for Arkham. Those that complain of headaches etc should not be riding. This ride is not for you, the forces are too high and violent and no train will fix that. Have you ridden batman the ride? It's very smooth but extremely violent and I'd dare say would be too much for you also. And leg pain, don't know what to say. Many many people like myself have no problem. As would have been the case with the test riders in R&D for the train.

Debate: a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints. Obviously there is a debate on it being better than Lethal Weapon as in its current situation I don't believe it is. I have an opposing viewpoint to you as you think it is... explain how there is no debate. I rode it as Lethal Weapon, while I had sore ears afterwards it was fine within a minute or so.. I rode it twice after it reopened as Arkham and had no issues other than tightness on the legs. I rode it after the 2 days maintenance when I noticed a difference and I received a headache which is still present 3 days later. Yes I rode Batman and Batman 2 and never had an issue with either. FYI: I know that some rides I cannot do and so I don't ride them. Anything with a continuous spinning motion such as the Reef Diver, Avalanche, hell sometimes even a Merry Go Round, makes me dizzy to the point I vomit and lose consciousness. ("Every time Catherine revved up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour or so..." for those National Lampooners out there.) I don't go on many, if any, of the rides at the Ekka as I know that majority of those push my body to its limits. I have cracked 3 ribs on the aqua8racer at WnW. It was a one time issue that resulted in my injury as was the Superman harness error. I recovered from both and had no further issues on either attraction. Who is to say that I might go on Arkham again and not have a single issue? In this instance that I have mentioned I was injured. Do I hold MW responsible? No. I chose to go on the ride and was injured as a result. It would be like saying guns kill people and spoons make people fat... People around me commented and I posted here, simple as that. I will ride it again once I am feeling up to it as "Why do we fall down? To learn how to pick ourselves up again." Oh, and the orange tag thing is not aimed at you directly, more a general observation based on experiences.

I'm not talking about your one experience the other day... you yourself just admitted the new train is better "I rode it twice after it reopened as Arkham and had no issues other than tightness on the legs." Now I understand for whatever reason you had a bad ride the other day after it had been closed. But it's more than likely that was some kind of one off for who knows what reason. I was talking about Batman the Ride the B&M coaster, not the movie world simulator. To be honest if you have a headache 3 days later from a coaster (assuming you can pinpoint that as the cause) I would be more concerned about a serious medial issue than the coaster, that doesn't sound good at all. I would also avoid riding until I had that sorted out with my doctor for sure.

I did not "admit the new train is better". I stated as you quoted "I rode it twice after it reopened as Arkham and had no issues other than tightness on the legs." I never said it was better so please do not put words in my mouth or twist what I have said to support your thoughts. As I said, no issues pre riding, issues coming into the station. Whether the coaster was the cause or the trigger I cannot say. Saw the doctor Saturday morning. Going back for an xray on Monday to rule out neck injury as I also have a sore jaw that comes and goes. He stated both of these symptoms could point to whiplash. Being that I only have ridden it 3 times I guess it is difficult to really determine. Yes the lack of headbanging is lovely. Yes it does give a new feel to the ride. It doesn't really have the upper body freedom that they were on about. I will reserve any further judgement on the seating until such time I have had family and friends ride and give their feedback after they have attended in the coming months. Apologies, I misunderstood your reference to Batman the ride. As I stated previously though, travelling overseas to attend theme parks is not something that is financially an option for us.