Sea World Storm Coaster construction 2013

alex_1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my first ride today. Massive lines (as to be expected), roughly an hour wait all day. They absolutely NEED to do something about the heat levels in the containers between the outside queue and the inside queue. It was only high 20s/low 30s today and we were cooking. With 40 degree temps expected this weekend, people will pass out/collapse. External Theming is amazing. Very impressed with what they achieved. Obviously a few things still missing internally - no fire or heat lamps in operation after splashdown, the windows in the queue container I'm assuming should have some projection or image behind them (or why bother with them) and are currently just black, same goes for the large window you pass before the lift hill, was some odd lighting effect here and there but nothing consistent. The ride was great albeit a little short. Good thrills, speed and the head chopper effect on the initial drop under the queue line is great, especially with the fog effect completely blinding you of what's below. We were front row and got drenched. All in all a great addition to SW, and certainly something id happily ride over and over on a quieter day!

It's been annoying me for a while now, and Slick's video has just reminded me...

• The final splashdown is in a ship
  • an UPTURNED ship (it's upside down)
  • this was a freak storm and it all just happened suddenly
  • but someone was smart enough to install a 'DANGER' sign, after the storm hit, right way up?

It's been annoying me for a while now, and Slick's video has just reminded me...

• [*]The final splashdown is in a ship [*]an UPTURNED ship (it's upside down) [*]this was a freak storm and it all just happened suddenly [*]but someone was smart enough to install a 'DANGER' sign, after the storm hit, right way up?
Im guessing the sign would be a pre existing part of the boiler room? Dunno :S

• but someone was smart enough to install a 'DANGER' sign, after the storm hit, right way up?

YES! That danger sign drives me crazy. The rest of the theming is pretty good though. Just wish they'd get the fire and proper splash dump scene working properly (I say with authority, even though i haven't been there ;)).

Edited by GoGoBoy

Do we have any concrete info on when and if the fire effects will be brought into use?? Other than anectdotal evidence, are we certain that they are going to actually be brought into existence?? It seems strange to me that a major part of the rides theming has not been completed or even tested at this stage. Thoughts??

heating units elements are present. piping is present.

Although I haven't seen an actual 'flame' it's all there - so once school holidays settle down and they can test it in a quieter period, we should see them come online.

I imagine that Storm will probably go down for maintenance pretty much as soon as school holidays are over, and we'll see the finishing touches added to it then.

On another note - not that it matters really - but I would like to see the park update their site to reflect current ride lineups.... eg:

http://themeparks.com.au/~/media/Images/ThemeParks/Sea%20World/Attractions/viking.ashx

Looks like we have a new gate scandal!!!!

Wouldn't the entire ride have to be built upside down though.

I reckon the easiest way to have made it make sense would have been to continued bits of the ships hull inside the building, and stenciled warehouse numbers on the wall, and just made out that the ship had rammed itself into the warehouse and broken up (kinda like how the titanic split in half when it sank)

Edited by Gazza

Wouldn't the entire ride have to be built upside down though.

A simple transition - like you refer to between the warehouse and the ship would be all that is needed... but the story appears to show that we've entered the ships boiler room (hence the fire etc). Because there is no separation between the stations, you arrive back at the point you left so the question is - has the storm passed or are you returning back because the storm was too rough?

Although mechanically difficult, I think they needed something like SE - an unload station that was visually separated from the load station - black curtain or whatever, so when you arrive you are 'evacuated' from the lifeboats, rather than just 'back where you started'. They've done a great job with the theming but it would be nice if it just made a little more sense... I mean - take a look at Jet Rescue - even though the theme is pretty loose, the unload station concludes the story with Trevor Long on screen explaining how you rescued the ?sea lion? from the blowhole.

I realise the station is quite small, and by combining it means they can use the grouper as the unloader... i'm just saying it would have been nice.

Hi guys like heaps of you on I've been a long time lurker but new member. I emailed Sea World yesterday with a stupid email asking why the fire that was seen on the TV ad wasn't in effect on the ride. Got a reply this arvo and thought I would share it with you all. Dear Michael Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the effect of fire has not been commissioned for the Storm Coaster; regrettably it was not known it would not be in effect until after the television ad was made. Sorry to cause you any disappointment. The idea of fire has not been completely ruled at this stage so feel free to contact us again in the future for any updates. Kind regards, Paige Guest Services | Sea World | T: +61 7 5588 2178 | F: +61 7 5588 2423 Village Roadshow Theme Parks | Sea World Drive, Main Beach, QLD 4215. | Thoughts? Kind of disappointing really

Edited by wigginout