Dreamworld no longer a Theme Park

Mort

The whole DreamWorks area is probably the sharpest looking section of the park and is as good as anything on the Gold Coast. Pandamonium in each respective mode is a solid thrill ride or a solid family ride. It's perfectly themed for what it is and is exactly the level of theming that Dreamworld should strive for; rides and areas should be given an ambient theme and pleasant surrounds and left at that. If the theme involves a storyline, screwing inanimate objects to a wall or any kind of AV then Dreamworld won't pull it off -- they never have before -- and is exactly why discussions like this one take place.

That said, Pandamonium does send a mixed message -- it's in an area designed for children, themed to a film designed for young children -- and I think whether or not it's a good thrill ride worthy of the "Big Thrill" tag is irrelevant, its positioning is wrong and I don't think it's had nearly the impact of say Wipeout or The Claw.

While I don't go in for the spin n spews, I have to admit, panda has been done really well and I'm with you Flea, it's great to see an addition like that. Not everyone who goes to the park wants the most thrilling thing they've ever been on. They need to cater to a wider demographic and I think they've done well there.

And while Tailspin isn't the coaster we were all hoping for, it's a good addition in the space they had to work with and given that it's a choose your own adventure ride it should be a hit. I just hope they theme it well and don't give up on it.

Look to be fair they removed a ride and replaced it almost instantly and for that good on them.

A new coaster would never have replaced reef diver and we would have been left with a vacant area to winge about.

So good move I say.

That said, Pandamonium does send a mixed message -- it's in an area designed for children, themed to a film designed for young children -- and I think whether or not it's a good thrill ride worthy of the "Big Thrill" tag is irrelevant, its positioning is wrong and I don't think it's had nearly the impact of say Wipeout or The Claw.

I was recently thinking this exact same thing. In my mind, Pandamonium was almost a waste. As Richard mentioned , The Claw had a huge impact when it first opened. Certainly not matched by Panda. Very weird choice plonking it in a kids' area. Whereas Tailspin is totally appropriate for its location, and I really like the concept theming. BUT going forward DW needs to step away from Ocean Parade and flat/spin 'n spew rides. They're done

Edited by GoGoBoy

Look to be fair they removed a ride and replaced it almost instantly and for that good on them.

A new coaster would never have replaced reef diver and we would have been left with a vacant area to winge about.

So good move I say.

To clarify on that, I wasn't meaning for RD to be replaced with a coaster, I was just meaning overall for the park to get a new coaster over a spin-n-spew.

Those of you saying Panda doesn't fit in, what would you have put there instead?

You'd rather keep an unpopular fair ride and retheme it than replace it with one that's already proven to be more popular?

Dreamworld can't win here. I've been overly critical of them in the past, but I'm starting to see some good in them recently. They just can't win on here, we hate them when they don't try and we hate them when they do. Their target market isn't the enthusiast market, it's to have happy people from all walks of life go and spend money to enjoy themselves in the park. They realise that they don't need Disney style theming to pull that off and that's what keeps their investors happy.

^I totally agree. So far this year we are really starting to see Dreamworld head in a new direction. Yes they may not have fixed/replaced what a lot of people really want to be (Eg. Mine Ride), but it isn't like they are shutting down any time soon. People need to be patient, it will happen. Yes it has been a number of year since it closed and it would be great if they did something about it, but it isn't like a big coaster that just sits there. The exterior may be becoming worn, but at least it fits into the area. Dreamworld did a fantastic job with the Dreamwork's area and I personally think Pandemonium is a great addition to the area. Now they have upgraded Ocean Parade and that looks great. We're getting a new thrill ride which looks like it will be a hit, they have cleaned up Shockwave and they have brought life back to one of the parks best rides. There is still plenty they need/can do, but people need to be thankful and be congratulating Dreamworld for the new direction they are heading in, instead of complaining everyday about the same thing.

I think it works well there as well, and I think it is more accessible for kids because it isn't a high thrill ride.

I find my kids will go on things like Wipeout and Panda but not high rides like Claw, GL, Superman etc......

A lot of the knocks on Dreamworld seem to be based around the mine ride closing.

My rough research indicates that since the Mine ride closed in 2006 Dreamworld has done the following:

Opened MDMC

Opened Supercars

Replaced Vortex with AVPX then Zombie Evolution

Relaunched Tower of Terror

Opened Shockwave

Opened Buzzsaw

Replaced Avalanche Pandamonium

Opened Big Red Boat

Rethemed Dreamworks and Panda areas

Revitalised Skadoosh and Wipeout

Replaced Stingray with about to open Tail Spin

Opened Whitewaterworld

Added Little Rippers

Added Wedgie

About to add Triple Vortex

Closed Dora Sea Planes

In comparison the other parks have done the following:

Opened Batwing

Added Bumper cars

Rethemed WB Fun Zone

Replaced Looney Tunes River Ride with about to be opened Driving School

Replaced Batman Adventure with Justice League

Opened Green Lantern

Rethemed Arkham Asylum

Added Jet Rescue

Closed Pirate Ship

Replaced Bermuda Triangle with Storm

Opened Castaway Bay

Closed Sea Viper

Replaced WWM with River Rapids

Opened Kamikaze

Replaced Speed Coaster and Twister with Aqualoops

Replaced Terror Canyon with Constrictor

I may have missed a few things there but I think that shows in the period since the Mine Ride closed Dreamworld/WWW has certainly punched above its weight in terms of adding attractions when compared to the other parks.

I understand the Mine Ride has been sitting for 7 years now which is a long time and is frustrating but it is worth noting LTRR and Bermuda sat idle for 3-4 years each as well.

^I totally agree. So far this year we are really starting to see Dreamworld head in a new direction. Yes they may not have fixed/replaced what a lot of people really want to be (Eg. Mine Ride), but it isn't like they are shutting down any time soon. People need to be patient, it will happen. Yes it has been a number of year since it closed and it would be great if they did something about it, but it isn't like a big coaster that just sits there. The exterior may be becoming worn, but at least it fits into the area. Dreamworld did a fantastic job with the Dreamwork's area and I personally think Pandemonium is a great addition to the area. Now they have upgraded Ocean Parade and that looks great. We're getting a new thrill ride which looks like it will be a hit, they have cleaned up Shockwave and they have brought life back to one of the parks best rides. There is still plenty they need/can do, but people need to be thankful and be congratulating Dreamworld for the new direction they are heading in, instead of complaining everyday about the same thing.

Do people want to replace the mine ride or get it to reopen? I remember being really underwhelmed by that ride. I thought it would be like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and it was.. because it was disappointing and painful.

I think the best suggestion I have read was to replace it with a eurofighter, with the first bit in the dark. Now that they have a relationship with Gerstlauer, maybe they could head in that direction.

BigKev I think you will find that Tailspin is a direct replacement for Reef Diver. Stingray was closed earlier.

Whoops! Can't seem to edit it.

Sorry Kev - I think your list is a little off - it also doesn't take into account the value of the attraction either.

I sense a little bias there...

I think the value of attractions is quite subjective and difficult to measure though but feel free to point out things I've missed, as I said it was just roughly done.

Certainly no bias, I like all the parks, I do think Dreamworld is a better day out in terms of filling a day with kids but I'd much prefer to go to SeaWorld any day.

I completely agree with Richard's other point about the level of theming for attractions such as Dreamworks and Pandamonium - entirely appropriate and acceptable for Dreamworld. They were both really neatly done. And judging by the artist's impression of Tailspin, this will be much the same. If Dreamworld sticks to this standard, I would be more than happy. It's a big step up from Six Flags, while obviously not being anywhere near the level of parks known for their fully immersive theming. As long as they don't revert back to the type of theming job we saw on Motocoaster!

But I do think going forward Dreamworld really needs to look at actually expanding the park area, and not focusing only on Ocean Parade. A similar thing could be said of Movie World.

You know what, I don't think it makes sense to remove Eureka until they've got an idea what to do with the land. I mean think about it, if they get rid of the mountain, they'll then have to redress the side if the cinema, and the thing that would look best is if they turned it into a mountain. Great, except when they do use the land they have to remove part of the facade and redress the whole area from scratch. Seems much better to me to leave the mountain sitting there.

Having said that though, they really should paint it in the meantime so it doesn't look like it's a decaying fibreglass facade. Hell, even better would be if they could have a waterfall come off it. It's not hard to picture it coming out of one of the tunnels on the side. You could also have it partly run into Thunder River. Theme it up, make it look nice and I'd be content to let it sit for another couple of years.