2015 in Dreamworld - ABC Kids World, V8 Supercars and more

Reanimated35

I remember speaking to one of the ride operators about ToTII's launch speed and they said that under queensland health and saftey laws dreamworld are restricted to a certain amount of negative acceleration (accelerating backwards) to avoid causing whiplash to riders. Whether or not this is true i would put my money on that it is. It is still a forceful ride but it's pretty disappointing that it doesn't go nearly as high as it did despite the car being a metric tonne lighter and carrying one less person. As for Dreamworld becoming a seasonal park. That could be beneficial. On quiet days the park is more than likely running at a loss and they make up the difference on weekends. If they closed the park even just two months of the year that would be a lot of money saved that could be used to improve the park... or line the shareholder's pockets thicker but I'm thinking optimistic damn it XD

If Dreamworld did close for one or two months they could use the time to make minor changes/build new attractions. So when they open they launch with them. (Like CP or AW does) So in the time closed they can make changes that will not be easy to make when open. (Like painting /updating systems/training new staff/building/repairs/maintenance and so on)

^ Highly doubt that being the reasoning for lowering the speed. California is one of the most regulated and sue happy regions in the world and SFMM have no issues running their version at top speed. Nothing more than power saving/cost cutting really.

Perhaps Australia has different, stricter regulations than that of other countries when it comes to amusement park ride operation & safety? Dreamworld may not have a choice in the matter. Or perhaps they are proud of the fact they have a fairly clean record (minus the helicopter & chairlift incidents, in which there were no fatalities, just minor injuries afaik) and want to do absolutely everything they can to keep it that way... including running their thrill rides at well below safety minimums. From what I have seen and read, Dreamworld have always taken ride safety very seriously.

By all means it could be for the reasons you've stated. But there might very well be more legit reasons other than just cost cutting alone.

Edited by OceanGirl

^ Highly doubt that being the reasoning for lowering the speed. California is one of the most regulated and sue happy regions in the world and SFMM have no issues running their version at top speed. Nothing more than power saving/cost cutting really.

this.

TOT was better as it was, not that i remember it going that high up the tower ever when i rode it in forward, but at least it felt genuinely sort of scary with just a lap bar and looking at the sky. Now you barely go up and look at the ground and are secured with an OTSR.. way to ruin a decent ride.. don't know what they were thinking.

SKC on the other hand has a great mountain setting and goes high, and thus works out to be fun in reverse, although I still found it scarier forward and feeling i could touch the superman and that i could fly out of the lap bar.

If dreamworld knew of these restrictions why would they butcher the ride? So this is why I find it hard to believe that they are not simply doing it for cost cutting.

Edited by pazzap

Or perhaps they are proud of the fact they have a fairly clean record

and want to do absolutely everything they can to keep it that way...

including running their thrill rides at well below safety minimums.

I mean no offence OG - but what a crock.

If dreamworld are reducing the speed of their 'thrill' rides in order to ensure safety - I can't wait to see what they do with other attractions:

1. Pandamonium will now only offer the 'gentle' cycle
  2. The Air Race (tailspin) will be removed and replaced with an "Air Gentle Stroll"
  3. The Antique Autos will have their lawnmower engines removed, and replaced with bicycle pedals
  4. GD will be fitted with parachutes (this will reduce capacity to only one ride per hour whilst staff repack the parachute)
  5. Cyclone will continue to be loaded at the same speed, which is considered the 'safest' loading speed in the park. Operations wise, they'll add block brakes on all down hills to keep the train speed to walking pace. Inversions will be cut out, and new straight sections welded in.
  6. Wipeout will become a 'scenic viewing platform'. No inversions will occur in this new 'safer' ride program, and the ride will consist of a slow, level rise to the top of the ride, followed by a slow level descent back to the bottom. Full three point harnesses will still be required.
  7. The claw seats will be replaced with horses. The gondola will spin slowly. The arm will not swing at all. It will become the worlds most expensive merry-go-round.
  8. MDMC - no changes required.

If you have a ride, designed by a manufacturer to do something at a particular speed - and that happens to be a 'world record' speed. You run it at that speed. always... well - unless of course it costs too much money to run it at that speed... and then you dial it down a bit... to save money.

to save money

save money

money

money

money

money

Edited by AlexB

Yeah I'm all for dreamworld closing down for a couple of months, would defenley be a lot easier for the maintenance team to make repairs and to add Upgrade's to a lot of the rides and even to give A couple of the rides/shops a good repaint too while there's no one in the park at all.

Edited by Jakev8

I totally get how closing the park down for a month or two in the offseason would allow the park the convenience of being able to carry out preventative maintenance and upkeep on non-attractions such as shops and food outlets.

But how exactly would it make it easier for them to do maintenance on attractions? If the ride is closed - it's closed. Allowing them to space out their ride maintenance across the 8-non-peak months of the year means they need less maintenance staff at once.

If they had to do annual maintenance on every attraction in only the space of 2 months - it would require a far larger (temporary) workforce - and with it would come the problems of retaining those staff until next year, or having to retrain all of them each time, plus the higher wage costs associated with hiring contract, casual or non-permanent labour.

Parks overseas can do it because literally nobody would visit the park in the offseason... you know - snow and all... But Dreamworld is established as a 364-day a year park.

If they're going to change operations like this - they're going to need to buy an 8 foot tall talking moose, and take out insurance against armed holdup.

The minimal losses they would take on a week-day would be worth the hit to retain full-time, seasoned (not seasonal) employees, maintaining a wealth of knowledge, experience and training.

Quiet operational days also give departments opportunities to do on the job training, re-skilling etc.

It's obviously not costing them that much otherwise they'd have taken steps to fix it.

The alternative, rather than closing for two months straight - is to close on say - a tuesday or wednesday mid-week for one or two days. It would still keep their full-timers working full time hours, let them keep some of their casuals on-shift, and a full days closure every week would let them get a big jump-start on lots of maintenance activities they couldn't do mid-week.

It'd also allow a thorough 'one-over' of each attraction each month (not an annual maintenance, just a more thorough inspection than what one would do on an operational morning).

I could see Dreamworld doing that - and potentially even offsetting the days - close DW on tuesday, and close WWW on Wednesday - that way you could also balance your staff around between gates where possible.

I believe Dreamworld traded like that for quite some time in the 80's. I think it's a pretty solid idea, except it'd never happen - could you imagine the amount of negative publicity a park would get if they closed for a few days and the others didn't? The only to way ensure it being a success would be to do what Knott's and Disney did many decades ago and strategically plan closures with the parks so that all the parks were never closed at the same time. It'd be a case of everyone on the gold coast doing it or no one, and given the lead-up to the Commonwealth Games and how ingrained 363-364 day operation is for the local/interstate population (which is where the majority of the money is) I doubt it ever happening in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Slick

I don't think you'd get Ardent and VRTP agreeing to staggered closures like that - they'd effectively be 'agreeing' to share market share.

Disney and Knott's did back in the day based on friendships between Walt and Walter. as they were both "family" owned and operated - whereas neither of our parks are.

That said - if one of them went that way, the other would probably recognise the financial savings of closing on the same day as they wouldn't lose their market share to the competitor if they were both closed - but i doubt they'd stagger it so that neither park was closed at the same time... they'd effectively be sharing a market that is wayyyyy too competitive to just 'give up' to the competition.

I mean no offence OG - but what a crock.

If dreamworld are reducing the speed of their 'thrill' rides in order to ensure safety - I can't wait to see what they do with other attractions:

• Pandamonium will now only offer the 'gentle' cycle
  • The Air Race (tailspin) will be removed and replaced with an "Air Gentle Stroll"
  • The Antique Autos will have their lawnmower engines removed, and replaced with bicycle pedals
  • GD will be fitted with parachutes (this will reduce capacity to only one ride per hour whilst staff repack the parachute)
  • Cyclone will continue to be loaded at the same speed, which is considered the 'safest' loading speed in the park. Operations wise, they'll add block brakes on all down hills to keep the train speed to walking pace. Inversions will be cut out, and new straight sections welded in.
  • Wipeout will become a 'scenic viewing platform'. No inversions will occur in this new 'safer' ride program, and the ride will consist of a slow, level rise to the top of the ride, followed by a slow level descent back to the bottom. Full three point harnesses will still be required.
  • The claw seats will be replaced with horses. The gondola will spin slowly. The arm will not swing at all. It will become the worlds most expensive merry-go-round.
  • MDMC - no changes required.

If you have a ride, designed by a manufacturer to do something at a particular speed - and that happens to be a 'world record' speed. You run it at that speed. always... well - unless of course it costs too much money to run it at that speed... and then you dial it down a bit... to save money.

to save money

save money

money

money

money

money

Geez, extreme examples much. Not all of those are thrill rides, and not even relevant to the discussion at hand. Besides, I was only making a suggestion, not stating fact :/

If they were really concerned about running costs, they could very well just limit open/close times like they already have with some other rides.

All I am saying is that it could be an incorrect assumption being made.

Parks overseas can do it because literally nobody would visit the park in the offseason... you know - snow and all... But Dreamworld is established as a 364-day a year park.

If they're going to change operations like this - they're going to need to buy an 8 foot tall talking moose, and take out insurance against armed holdup.

as i was reading this halfway through i was just thinking of NLV and than you said it at the end i pissed myself laughing! :lol:

Edited by bladex

Spoke to a Dreamworld worker on Sunday about Zombie Evilution if the maze would operate next week" She stated that Zombie Evilution will reopen 2.4.15 (tomorrow) back as laser tag until 9th which then they turn the arena into the scare maze for Screamworld. maze will only be on 10th April (Screamworld) and the following day it will be back as laser tag.. just letting everyone know if anyone didn't know

Edited by The_Ninja_59

Geez, extreme examples much. Not all of those are thrill rides, and not even relevant to the discussion at hand. Besides, I was only making a suggestion, not stating fact :/

If they were really concerned about running costs, they could very well just limit open/close times like they already have with some other rides.

All I am saying is that it could be an incorrect assumption being made.

Of course they were extreme examples.... because the idea that Dreamworld would be reducing the speed of a ride for reasons of safety - when other rides of the exact same type around the world continue to operate at the higher designed speed (including in far more litigious jurisdictions) is an extreme idea.

The cost cutting makes perfect sense.

And i'm sure limiting openclose times in things like rapids, autos, etc would fly with most guests - they're not exactly flagship attractions, and most people wouldn't care if it were open on one day or the other. (ok they'd care but few would have a cry about missing a ride in a lawnmower).

I'm sure in it's current position the Antique Autos don't get a lot of love at all... which is why DW have been reducing it's operating hours, including not running them midweek. Same for the train - it doesn't really serve it's purpose as a 'transport method' (thanks Noxegon) which is hence why they get away with operating it in the sporadic nature that they do.

But...

Can you imagine the uproar if the "Big 47" didn't open until later, or closed earlier than the rest of the park? I mean - Wonderland used to delay Goldrush opening until an hour after the park opened, which was designed to stagger maintenance shifts to ensure Bush Beast was ready to open on time... but short of opening it an hour later than the rest of the park (wouldn't that please everyone?) can you imagine if they closed it earlier than the park did? (And do you really think if they did that, they'd speed it back up? Or continue to run it slowly to save even more?)

You can run low-popularity attractions on a shared-operations schedule. One ride-op, two rides, and they alternate every hour (it won't make you popular on these forums, but you can do it).

This saves costs - but it's wage costs saved, not operations costs. On average, the rides would probably still run as many times as they would if they both had staff - they'd just run less frequently per hour throughout the whole day, rather than more frequently for an hour and then nothing.

But you can't do that with your "Big 98". That's what you market yourself on. To have those closed will earn you a poor reputation.

So - you run them in such a way as to reduce the operation and maintenance cost.

Run them slower to save power, wear and tear. Use more 'economical' cycle programs for rides with variable programs like Wipeout. Reduce the actual cycle time from say 3 minutes to 90 seconds.

Who would notice? Who carries a radar gun on ToT with them? Who starts their stopwatch when the ride starts? very few... and even fewer would have the 'previous data' to compare it to to confirm if there actually was a difference in time.

I appreciate you're looking for other plausible explanations but you're wasting your time. Dreamworld are not running a ride slower for safety. They're doing it because it costs less money, both in power and in maintenance, and most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Dreamworld now other mobile charging stations. Located in the outside eatery at Food Central, near the ATM & just inside the Market place entrance next to the Kodak shop.

Cost is $2 for a 30 minute charge, plus longer charging is available. They are secure, with easy user instructions on the machine. Keys cannot be removed when not in use: lost keys will require a security check before re-opened by a supervisor

While the most useless vending machine Dreamworld added would have to be the hot chip machine they once had located all of 50 metres from multiple food outlets, a mobile phone charging station sounds like a great way for them to get in on a decade-old concept that battery and charging technology will likely soon make obsolete.

A ride attendant is sueing dreamworld for $290k for hurting her wrist while securing the harnesses on the tower of terror.

http://m.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/crime-court/former-ride-attendant-sues-dreamworld-for-290k-claiming-wrist-injury-occurred-securing-harnesses-on-tower-of-terror/story-fnje8bkv-1227288364449

post-29669-0-44327100-1427932514_thumb.j

Edited by Jakev8

I don't think she should get anything for future earnings, because there is no way that someone who couldn't check harnesses without injuring themselves would have gone anywhere in life. If it's a proven workplace injury, and assuming that Workcover paid for her operations, I think the most extra Dreamworld should have to do is clean a gutter for her to crawl up into, and they really only should do that for the good PR.