Movie World speculation and dreaming - 2015 edition

Brad2912

I believe Peter Brock cars could be going to movie world I remember a few years ago movie world wanted to take some land that was car park area and turn it into a motor sports themed section I can't find the info but someone else might remember that tho the council turned them down  and Peter brock cars would fit into that idea inside the current movie world set up

Found it from 2010

OTORSPORT-themed extension to Movie World, featuring five themed restaurants, a games arcade, plus dragster and go-kart themed rides is in the planning stages with the Gold Coast City Council asking for more details. In committee today, councillors rejected Warner Bros. Movie World's initial application because it was 'scant on detail'. But the committee also recommended that the full Council urge the developer to lodge more detailed plans, chairman Cr Ted Shepherd said. Have your say on the feedback form below ''And we would give an undertaking that the application would be considered quickly. We are aware of their desire to have the attraction opened as soon as possible,'' said Cr Shepherd. Under the proposal, Movie World would expand its operations to take in a new village square, five themed restaurants, a games arcade, dragster and go-kart themed rides and a ticket booth in a self-contained precinct between the existing park and the M1. From www.goldcoast.com.au

A mini review on MW, having not been there for around 2 years.

I visited on Sunday afternoon for about 4.5 hours, with husband, and daughters aged 6 and 3.  

First up was Batwing, but it was a no-go, as Miss 6 was wearing flats and came in at 122cm.  Will try again next month wearing sneakers.  Instead we all went to Justice League.  Miss 3 is a Batman fanatic, so it was her favourite part of the day.  It was pretty new on our last visit, and I admit I think I judged it a little harshly at the time.  This time the lasers buzzed when you made a hit (not sure if this was new, or I just had a faulty one last time?) which made it a bit more engaging.  I also liked the screen at the end which has the pics of your car, and everyone's score (again, not there last time).  I definitely enjoyed it as a family experience, the last time I went on it by myself, as the kids weren't old enough for it.

Next we saw the Rio feature.  My oldest daughter is slightly obsessed with this franchise, it was the theme of her last birthday party.  I thought she'd be stoked with it, but all I got was 'meh, same footage as the movie'.  The non-existant preshow (I'm not going to count the power-point presentation) was a let down, I thought the room might at least have a Carnivale theme or something.   I don't know if it was the best movie choice for this kind of experience, there was lots of wind blowing on the neck, and some minor seat motion, but I don't think it added much.  

We spent most of the time in the kids area.  Both children were tall enough for the Rocket coaster, so Miss 3 got her first coaster experience, which is always exciting.  Neither were interested  in the Speedy Taxi's or Train Ride (the term 'baby rides' was thrown around).  Sylvester Bounce was popular with both kids, though the line was longer than usual, so they only had one ride.

It was our first look at the Driving School.  I did my best to try not to judge it on the classic that was Looney Tunes ride.  I thought the driving area was themed to a passable level.  I agree with people that had commented on the roof - I think it would have looked better with a painted blue sky with clouds rather than the solid black.  The cars were easy to operate, Miss 6 was capable of driving herself,  I passengered with Miss 3, who could do the foot acceleration and only needed minor help steering.  The adult seat at the back fit me fine, but I'm a fairly small build.  The kids thought it was fairly fun, but didn't rave.  My biggest gripe with the ride was the waiting area.  That shoebox with the pool fencing was a special kind of hell on earth.  If there are fences like that, little kids will climb them, and shake them, and bang on them continuously for forty minutes.  Very badly designed.  Note: not my kids doing the banging and climbing.

Finished of the day with my husband taking Miss 3 to see the super hero parade (she liked it), and I took Miss 6 on Scooby for the first time.  It's probably been at least 10 years since I went on that ride, so I can't really remember what had changed.  The theming in the waiting area still looks good, I didn't mind the video of the interviews with the cast, though the volume was too low to take much from it.  I didn't forewarn my daughter about the backwards drop part, as the element of surprise with that was always my favourite bit, but the dad in front of us warned his son too loudly, so not as effective as I'd hoped.  Still a really great ride experience, the end part of the ride with the few lasers could do with a bit of love, as I remember that being more visual, but still overall a well themed fun attraction.  Miss 3 is still sore about not being tall enough for it, but give her 12 months and I think she'll get there.  (Both girls are big Scooby fans, and watch the cartoons weekly, so I believe the theme is still relevant/popular).  

Lots of discussion going on about number of kids/family attractions, and from that perspective, it was a solid half-a-day park for us - the last 12 months we've been going to Dreamworld, and have been able to get a longer day out of it.  I don't think there was as many repeat attractions at MW - at every visit to DW there were a number of rides the kids wanted to do multiple times (particularly older daughter), where as they were happy to do the MW ones just once.

Justice League has a screen with pics of the riders and scores?? When was that installed? I don't remember it being there when I visited a few months back. But it was something that was always needed.

I'd like to know this as well, as I don't recall seeing any scoreboard at the end when we rode on it a week or so ago. Instead we were having to compare scores out loud whilst exiting the cart, which was a bit of a pain. 

I'm sure it was the scores on the ride photo screen at the end, the numbers were in tiny print.  TBH I didn't look at it properly, as we'd talked the scores, but I was sure they were in the pic.  Could be wrong, maybe it was the photo number?  

I'll double check next visit.

Edited by liz.wis

Before we loose the Mad Max idea, heres what i think could/should be done if it does go Max.

Capture.thumb.JPG.38d76deeab3d03cdd895b4

Yellow- Demolition Derby, held inside the Thunderdome.

Red- Indoor version of Backlot Stunt Coaster themed to a chase, or an enclosed Wild Mouse like Eureka going round the Citadel

Blue-Relocate Batwing here and theme it to a Guzzoline pump.

Brown- "Bronze" statue/water feature of Max and the Intercepter.

Green- Green Screen Mad Max photos.

And if it fits within the realm of possibility, the building above Red and below Green, put in some small terrible capacity simulator thing like at Ferrari World.

Throw in some metal and unnecessary cat walks, torn apart sun shelters, impaled cars, and Immortan Joe's logo, and you've got yourself a decent area.

I personally don't agree with any of that. The only idea I sort of agree with is using the show stage (red) for a western show (fit the theme of the area). And maybe make use of the second of the building (green) which as far as I'm aware isn't being used. They aren't going to relocate the batwing and I'm not a fan of simulator rides, so I don't think that would be an addition. The park currently has a good variation in roller coasters, with a mild mouse (Scooby-doo) being included. For a park of MWs size, I definitely don't think they need another wild mouse, right next to a mild mouse. I like the idea of the mad max theme. But I feel that should be on the land to the right of the WWF. I think a flat ride would be suitable in the first space of WWF amongst those small buildings (couldn't suggest any ideas though, just a thought). 

The green building is west burgers and the one below it is toilets. 

I think your scale is all out with what fits in that space there. 

Movie World doesn't need another 'land' it needs an entire 15-20mil spent on a new MAJOR attraction. 

Looks like they have no intention of touching it again and it's now a staff only area. (Officially)

Yep, more like a rubbish/storage area. 

I admit I'm sad to see Chinatown Alley go. I still remember when it was the busy grand entrance for the "all new" Lethal Weapon and how excited my best friend and I used to feel walking down there toward the ride. And the super long queue we had to wait in at the end of it, esp. During the holidays. 

Ahh. Good times ???