Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

13 hours ago, Gary86 said:

Theme Park Social Network started a rumor that Dreamworld are reopening the paddle steamer this year. I think not!

Snapshot_1.png

Love how the following day he has put the postcard pic up and posting " Classic Dreamworld Australia they need the bring the paddle steamer Back! Argee? (sic)"

So...  Which is it?

That's where you try to enter dreamworld using a VRTP VIP pass. I've seen that happen actually.

49 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Sans actually flipping. Sure the arms move like the Wipeout but it lacks any actual flipping/inverting.

The comment to the video actually remarks that they did not operate the ride to it's full capability.

Given DW's ongoing issues, it was probably to prolong it's life or reduce wear on expensive components. AFAICS, it's still the same ride model.

3 hours ago, Bailz said:

I'm going to have to agree with Alexb on this one, after watching the YouTube video.

VIPs means you get in their one hour earlier and you can do the motorsports experience, including the hotwheels sidewinder

Well I actually visited the park rather than keyboard experted it. And wrode the ride. 

It wasn't the same. It didn't flip and never did. It lacked the motors to actually do the flipping!

There's two models The Waikiki Wave and The Waikiki Wave Super Flip

Edited by djrappa

17 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Well I actually visited the park rather than keyboard experted it. And wrode the ride. 

It wasn't the same. It didn't flip and never did. It lacked the motors to actually do the flipping!

There's two models The Waikiki Wave and The Waikiki Wave Super Flip

I wasn't professing to be an expert by any means, just citing sources and showing what i'd found. Clearly the Wiki is incorrect - I must confess I wasn't aware there were two models - they are remarkably similar too. I've looked at photos from DW and from Kentucky and I cannot see any noticeable difference. Flatrides.com do however list the two models separately.

I must also say, whilst I was aware Wipeout could "lock" the gondola in a certain position and release on cue - which when combined with the motion of the arms could create some kick ass flips - I never realised Wipeout was capable of actually rotating the gondola without motion of the arms themselves.

Thanks for the info Rappa.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

I wasn't professing to be an expert by any means, just citing sources and showing what i'd found. Clearly the Wiki is incorrect - I must confess I wasn't aware there were two models - they are remarkably similar too. I've looked at photos from DW and from Kentucky and I cannot see any noticeable difference. Flatrides.com do however list the two models separately.

I must also say, whilst I was aware Wipeout could "lock" the gondola in a certain position and release on cue - which when combined with the motion of the arms could create some kick ass flips - I never realised Wipeout was capable of actually rotating the gondola without motion of the arms themselves.

Thanks for the info Rappa.

You learn something new every day, even I did. :D

Had a quick convo with a pair of mechanics observing the Wipeout tonight, they reassured me that she has at least another 20 years left in her and joked that their 'grandkid's grandkids' will be riding it well before she ever gets removed. 

Yay!!!! ???❤❤❤

20160408_193533.jpg

Well that didn't take long. Bloody vandals ???

On the other hand, the vibrating room still works, just witnessed it in action for the first time ever lol. Took a few people standing inside at the time by surprise  ??????

Edited by OceanGirl

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I know the Big 9 thrill rides  are open and DreamWorks experience is open but other then those are there any other rides open like the River Rapids, Shockwave or Log Ride etc.

Dreamworks was open yesterday, Shockwave was open, didn't check River Rapids or Log Ride, I believe the Log Ride doesn't operate during Screamworld

41 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I know the Big 9 thrill rides  are open and DreamWorks experience is open but other then those are there any other rides open like the River Rapids, Shockwave or Log Ride etc.

River Rapids was initially open and operating at the beginning of Screamworld, but it closed earlier than the other rides for some reason. By around 8pm they were draining it ? 

Log ride was definitely closed. They had an attendant redirecting traffic near the entrance to the Giant Drop, so that was as far north as one could go. The other off limits point was just outside the Billabong restaurant. 

Sorry I wasn't clear. When I said Wipeout was different because the other model lacks the motors to do the flipping I didn't mean there are motors that flip the gondola. 

What I meant is the motors are of a different spec and the standard model lacks the 'grunt' to 'fling' the gondola around and then arrest that movement. 

Basically by design the ride is an engineers nightmare and the whole thing is just setup to put amazing levels of stress on every component. 

It's a pretty damn impressive piece of engineering that it doesn't just tear itself apart. 

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016