Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction

There should only be one cycle; extreme mode.

Surely running different cycles at different times of the day to cater for the few people who don't want to ride extreme would just exclude the majority from being able to ride what they want, whenever they want.

90% of people who willingly strap themselves into a ride that looks like Doomsday want to do multiple full loops. (citation needed)

Perhaps on a quiet day, if the staff are feeling nice they can run it in a less intense cycle for individual cases. but whenever there's a queue it'd just be a waste of capacity to cater to people who don't want to go upside down.

The fear of going upside down is really irrational anyway, I can't remember anyone out of the multitudes of people who told me they didn't want to go upside down while waiting in line for Corkscrew (R.I.P.) or Arkham ever saying they're still scared of inversions after riding. Drops and heights I can understand, but speed and inversions? It's all in your head.

32 minutes ago, AllegroCrab said:

There should only be one cycle; extreme mode.

Surely running different cycles at different times of the day to cater for the few people who don't want to ride extreme would just exclude the majority from being able to ride what they want, whenever they want.

So based off your reasoning, everyone should just cater for what you want? 

58 minutes ago, westical said:

It's the spinning which gets to me, not going upside down. I have zero interest in Pandamonium as a result. Hopefully DD will be less intense. 

Ditto. Personally not a fan of spin and spews. Haven't been on the Pandemonium for the same reason, despite it being the only Big9 I haven't done! Just doesn't look visually appealing to me in the slightest ?

Wipeout is the only one I'll really tolerate, and that's because it's not consistently spinning, unlike some of its brothers and sisters. 

46 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Ditto. Personally not a fan of spin and spews. Haven't been on the Pandemonium for the same reason, despite it being the only Big9 I haven't done! Just doesn't look visually appealing to me in the slightest ?

Pandamonium was a once and done for me. The side wards motion is too much for my liking. Can do Tailspin and Wipeout fine.

This shouldn't be too much of an issue. Guessing it will be like one of those Larson Loops for experience.

See the thing is - pirate ship style rides (i consider doomsday to be a pirate ship style) do a vertical loop - i don't know whether there's any reason for it but i handle a vertical loop a lot better than sideways swinging or spinning. 

I could ride the old Bounty's Revenge all day long without ill effect, but a gravitron, or a zipper - putting it horizontal, or utilising more than one axis is what screws me up. Tail spin without using the wings is great fun, throw in a well timed wing change to get the roll happening and it really hits me hard.

Vertical loops are just a much quicker and steeper version of going up a hill at highway speeds. The same as loops in a roller coaster.

I would not put DD into the same class as Shockwave, Claw, the old Vortex, even reef diver. This doesn't mean it's 'less intense' - it just means that your inner ear handles it differently... i'm sure it will still be an intense and thoroughly entertaining ride - i just see it was one less likely to lose ones lunch on (although that said, bounty's had its fair share of protein spill.)

I personally am not looking forward to sitting in the seats and sitting face to face with some other stranger hoping they don't barf on me.  By the look for the water dummies your almost touching knees.

What would be different is if the block of 4 seats your sitting on rotated 90 degs for a loop or two so your facing sideways and watching the world turn over and not someone screaming in your face.

11 hours ago, Inverted said:

What would be different is if the block of 4 seats your sitting on rotated 90 degs for a loop or two so your facing sideways and watching the world turn over and not someone screaming in your face.

When it was announced that Doomsday would be an Intamin Twin Hammer ride, I was really hoping they would add this rotating seat feature. It would have added something extra/innovative to an otherwise fairly old ride type that is a staple at fairgrounds/shows. It's a ride that most people have ridden. Having that seat rotation would have made it very unique; performing loops whilst facing perpendicular to the movement direction. I don't think this has been done before?

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I was really hoping they would add this rotating seat feature

Basically a Surfrider on steroids.

I'm alright with some spinning rides. Wipeout, Tailspin, Surfrider, shockwave and even reef diver I'm fine with. But the Claw and Pandemonium HS I can't do. Done them both once, and felt really sick after them. Not sure how I'll go with DD, but I'll give it a try.

7 minutes ago, themagician said:

Basically a Surfrider on steroids.

I'm alright with some spinning rides. Wipeout, Tailspin, Surfrider, shockwave and even reef diver I'm fine with. But the Claw and Pandemonium HS I can't do. Done them both once, and felt really sick after them. Not sure how I'll go with DD, but I'll give it a try.

Haha, I've gotten off both the Reef Diver (the Enterprise, back then) and the Redback at Aussie World dry reaching and almost ready to puke. Not a pleasant experience for either!

And not a fan of the Claw, only been on it the one time and I hated it - every time it hit peak swing (that moment when you feel weightless) it would make me shake uncontrollably. I have the same thing happen when hitting the highest point of the ToTII before it starts dropping. I hate the sensation, it's really uncomfortable ??

Must be a getting old thing, as it didn't happen when I was in my teen years ?

My concern is that the Doomsday is gonna be just like the Claw. I'll probably ride DD once to tick it off my bucket list, but that will be about it. Unless I'm wrong and it's nothing like the others lol?

2 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

My concern is that the Doomsday is gonna be just like the Claw.

Just to restress, this is just my opinion, but:

19 hours ago, AlexB said:

I would not put DD into the same class as Shockwave, Claw, the old Vortex, even reef diver. This doesn't mean it's 'less intense' - it just means that your inner ear handles it differently... i'm sure it will still be an intense and thoroughly entertaining ride - i just see it was one less likely to lose ones lunch on (although that said, bounty's had its fair share of protein spill.)

5 hours ago, themagician said:

Yeah I read your comments the first time @AlexB, still not thoroughly convinced though that it won't be unlike the Claw, especially since it swings back and forth in a similar manner before it loops. I guess it could very well be all in my head though, lol. 

I do hope you're right though, and I like your theory. I certainly want to enjoy it, and hopefully have it as a new favourite ride ??

• Richard featured and unfeatured this topic