Arkham Asylum stoppage/evacuation - January 2017

DaptoFunlandGuy

12 hours ago, AlexB said:

As reanimated just beat me to it - they weren't upside down - it would be similar to being in an airplane seat for 90 minutes - although Arkham has more leg room.

I think that's playing it down a bit too much.  I find Arkham one of the least comfortable seats to be in, add on top of that the tight harness, being 20-30 odd meters in the air and in direct sun (granted the structure would provide some partial shade at times) but to compare it to being in a airplane seat for 90 minutes? That's a stretch.

As most people on here are enthusiasts we’re more likely to play issues down like this and may even be happy that you were one of the stuck riders and had to be rescued. However for the average punter that goes to Movie World, being stuck on that thing for 90 minutes in the near middle of a summer’s day, while likely on holidays and then having to be rescued by Fire and Rescue, probably with ropes and other equipment high above the ground, would be an ordeal. It's no wonder it gets in the media.

While the media does go over the top with these reports, I find this forum then goes a bit over the top the other way – not directed at anyone, just a general observation from a relative new comer J

Edited by mission

1 hour ago, mission said:

I think that's playing it down a bit too much.  I find Arkham one of the least comfortable seats to be in, add on top of that the tight harness, being 20-30 odd meters in the air and in direct sun (granted the structure would provide some partial shade at times) but to compare it to being in a airplane seat for 90 minutes? That's a stretch.

As most people on here are enthusiasts we’re more likely to play issues down like this and may even be happy that you were one of the stuck riders and had to be rescued. However for the average punter that goes to Movie World, being stuck on that thing for 90 minutes in the near middle of a summer’s day, while likely on holidays and then having to be rescued by Fire and Rescue, probably with ropes and other equipment high above the ground, would be an ordeal. It's no wonder it gets in the media.

While the media does go over the top with these reports, I find this forum then goes a bit over the top the other way – not directed at anyone, just a general observation from a relative new comer J

I actually find Arkham seats to be quite comfortable - the slight lean-back tilt of the seats has you reclining a little. If the train still had the old restraints, I wouldn't be so forgiving, as it would have been an effort to do much more than look straight ahead.

With the new harnesses however - you'll find the many people who have commented on them (in the arkham retheme thread a while back) noted that whilst they were tight, they generally weren't uncomfortable until the end of the ride - after they've been jostled around through the track. The rubber chest harnesses are very comfortable when first applied, and whilst on an uphill slope, you wouldn't be pressed against them - so any 'tightness' at this stage wouldn't be something most people would even notice.

It is these factors which lead me to compare it to an airline seat, and I don't think that's playing it down.

I'll now take you to task on 'playing it up' - with your reference to being "in direct sun" - this is from page one of this very thread:

5875a462aaa63_http_prod.static9_net.au__

As you can see - the structure provides almost complete shade to every rider, with 'at best' direct sun on an outside arm or leg.

Needless to say, this particular topic of conversation arose because of your erroneous statement that they were upside down, and the comments in reply were simply to point out they weren't upside down, they were seated right way up, in a similar fashion to an airline seat. I didn't go into any further detail over environmental impacts such as heat or sunlight, and didn't downplay anything except for the sensationalist claim made by a foreign media outlet that they were inverted.

Nine Morning News running live crosses to a reporter outside Movieworld with the breaking news that the ride won't be open today, and shares took a hit yesterday but have recovered. 

And an interview with someone who was on the ride that went something like this "well I was, like, a bit scared as i didn't know what, like, was going on, and it was, like, so hot, so they brought up a box of, like, water. And, like, I don't like if I'll ride on it again for like a while, well until, like, they make sure it's like safe". 

Edited by Brad2912

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

And an interview with someone who was on the ride that went something like this "well I was, like, a bit scared as i didn't know what, like, was going on, and it was, like, so hot, so they brought up a box of, like, water. And, like, I don't like if I'll ride on it again for like a while, well until, like, they make sure it's like safe". 

I was going to "like" your post, but after reading that interview transcript, I'm crying on the inside and outside and couldn't possibly bring myself to hit "like" again on something. :P :blink::(

Next time something goes down and the reporters ask everybody on the way out if you were on it somebody should make some bullshit up to the reporters. 

"Yea I was like hanging from my feet and like, the park was worried I was getting dehydrated so like, they had to hook me up and like, rehydrate me through my ass because like, it was the only hole pointing upwards.”  "They like, told me to keep my mouth shut so I wouldn't like, seep"

Edited by YLFATEEKS

We can agree to disagree that the seats on Arhkam are similar to an airline seat. I personally would take an airline seat any day of the week, especially for 90 minutes!

I said they'd be in direct sun with partial shade provided by the structure so I don't know why you selectively quoted me and then proved my point. Either way, it would be hot (direct sun or not) and any direct sun would burn most people pretty quick.  I'd be toasted after 30 minutes.

I didn't make an erroneous statement that they were upside down. I never said they were upside down.

7 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

Probably Because You Were Just Stuck Inside The Building Not a high Up And They Could Easily Be Able To Evacuate You

I'm pretty sure evac from a chain lift with direct access from a stairway is about equal in difficulty to an evac from the pre-ride section of SE. Still requires manual unlocking of harnesses, crews to ensure rider safety, and would probably take an equal amount of time and put riders in an equal, minimal amount of danger. Both are not newsworthy WHATSOEVER.

10 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

I'm pretty sure evac from a chain lift with direct access from a stairway is about equal in difficulty to an evac from the pre-ride section of SE.

Genuine question - How do they get the riders, especially on the far side, on to the stairs that go up beside the lift hill?

I would have thought with Superman, as you're sitting down and have a floor, you can quite easily step out of the train and onto a platform.  Arhkam there is no floor, how do they safely get someone onto the stairs?

6 minutes ago, mission said:

Genuine question - How do they get the riders, especially on the far side, on to the stairs that go up beside the lift hill?

I would have thought with Superman, as you're sitting down and have a floor, you can quite easily step out of the train and onto a platform.  Arhkam there is no floor, how do they safely get someone onto the stairs?

jHvB1yg.png

But seriously, there's a small platform they winch up to the train and creates a "floor" for the riders to stand on. 

11 minutes ago, downunder said:

Headline that wouldn't surpise me: Malicious Murder Machine Foiled By Emergency Services

Dozens of people barely escaped with their lives after being lured into Arkham Asylum where they were unknowingly strapped into a killing machine... torture device intended for mental patients

Seriously, it's getting that ridiculous.   

Well hey - it's kinda true - that would be the sort of grain of truth they'd take and run with...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned because I pretty much rushed through the responses, has the Train been pushed through yet or is it still at the top of the lift?

The Anti-rollbacks would prevent the Train from being pulled back to the station, as is the case with any chain lift Coaster. Arkham's AR's are Clever shaped fins above each car whereas the lifts on WWF and GL have the good old ratchity kind. Hence why Arkham's has the nice electric buzzing sound instead. 

This Coaster is one of the safest Theme Park rides around. The worse case scenario happened yesterday leaving Guests waiting to be rescued from the Lift. I have experienced this drill myself before and as a person that is generally afraid of 'unsecured heights' can I say that I felt very safe the whole time as the Emergency Crew go to every extent to put you at ease. After all, the Fire Dept in Oxenford has been assisting MW with evac drills for 20 years now. I guess with the recent events up the road these kinds of situations are being viewed by the Media and General public now in a whole different light. It's a shame that the Fire Department and MW's quick response, coupled with fact that all effected Passengers were returned safely to the ground after experiencing a ride they won't soon forget.. hmmm...

Anyway...

I have mentioned it already however I really hope it's not a chain breakage because it will be pretty expensive and time consuming if it is. If it does happen to be such a thing let's hope that MW have the good wisdom to aquire a 2nd train for this popular ride during the down time. It sure as shit would help with capacity and as a member of the ride's original crew, you can take that to the bank?

Edited by MickeyD

14 hours ago, elemist said:

He should have been touting some of the comments that were made here - about how this was a safety stop...He could have also educated the media a bit in the facts that these are events that occur as part of standard operations...

He did mention that briefly in an answer to one of the media's questions:

Given what happened at Dreamworld last year and that the fact that all rides in Queensland have been audited, is it a concern that, less than a couple of months after the audits of all rides in Queensland, this has happened?

Uh, look this is a typical safety, uh, stop for us. It's not a...there's no injuries. There's no accidents. Uh, our tra, our team are very much trained to do these evacuations and we are doing that evacuation as per our new protocol.

Also @elemist, similar to @AlexB's case, I believe he did have a PR/media staff member with him. You can hear in the background someone announce "Last questions, guys" at 01:43 in 7 News Gold Coast's live stream of his media statement/questions session.

10 hours ago, Prequel said:
12 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:
On 11/01/2017 at 5:19 PM, bladex said:

i got stuck in SE how come i didn't get a media coverage?!

Probably Because You Were Just Stuck Inside The Building Not a high Up And They Could Easily Be Able To Evacuate You

The people on Arkham were stuck on a chain lift.

As you can see @Prequel, @Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ was referring to Superman Escape not Arkham Asylum.

6 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Nine Morning News running live crosses to a reporter outside Movieworld with the breaking news that the ride won't be open today, and shares took a hit yesterday but have recovered.

Shares didn't really take a 'hit' despite the intense media coverage - the share price did go down but it was by an insignificant 3%. That decrease could have been caused by anything including the normal day-to-day stock trading. There's a good chance the decrease is a coincidence. And like Nine Morning News said, they 'recovered'...nearly - there was an increase today by 2%.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

4 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Shares didn't really take a 'hit' despite the intense media coverage - the share price did go down but it was by an insignificant 3%. That decrease could have been caused by anything including the normal day-to-day stock trading. There's a good chance the decrease is a coincidence.

A 3% drop in shares in one day is quite significant and it is highly unlikely it was just a coincidence.