DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

17 hours ago, Richard said:

For what it's worth, Superman Escape is desperately overdue for a third train as well to allow it to mostly operate with two, as is Arkham Asylum for a second.

I know its not on topic but I'm just interested, I'm guessing SE can't support 3 trains on the track due to it's block system.

But could the ride have three trains, say if it's not busy one in operation and 2 on the transfer tracks, or is the holding bay not big enough and it always need to have 2 in operation with one in the holding bay?

It would be good because you could keep 2 trains in operation while one train get's rebuilt and I've long championed a second train for AA! 

Hyper from what I've seen generally have more cars. So with this coaster I'm hoping for at least 6 cars with 3 trains, maybe even 4, because as Richard pointed out off peak is nearly gone now. That way the ride can always have 3 in operation with the 4th going through its rebuild. 

I'm not sure whether the brake run on SE is a 'slow down' or whether it is capable of a complete stop. If it is, 3 train operation would be possible as you have:

• Load block
  • Launch Block
  • Brake Block
  • Unload block

You always need at least one more block than you have trains - so the brake is the big question. In theory the entire dark-ride section could be treated that way also, as the kickers could stop the train. Whether that would allow the ride to flow, or whether you'd just end up stacking all the time (especially with MW level operation) would be the issue.

So, it would probably take some reprogramming at the very least, but you COULD in theory. Whether you WOULD though? Probably not.

2 hours ago, Original said:

It would be good because you could keep 2 trains in operation while one train get's rebuilt

That's precisely what I was suggesting... that they need three trains so that there's always two available. Currently the ride cannot physically run a second train much of the year because of maintenance schedules, even though it really should.

Actually running three trains on the ride with the necessary adjustments to the blocking would presumably be possible, but it's hard to see a capacity increase. You'd need to see some serious changes to the queue/station and load procedures to get dispatch times anywhere near where they'd need to be for smooth three train operation.

I'd expect to see the same with the new coaster... a ride designed to operate with two trains but three on hand.

@YLFATEEKS 5.5 cars per train sounds like a nice, safe bet... right in the middle.

15 hours ago, Intimidator305. said:

Do we have any ideas of what would make a good precint, while keeping theme with a massive new coaster? Could be a cool sci-fi or action/thriller thing. What kind of Movie does Movie World not have a ride themed to? We've got western, superhero, spooky, kids... A gap

Out of all the franchise movies I listed in the 'Poll: What do you think Movie World's coaster will be' topic, apart from DC Comics, the only other franchises that I could see making a new themed area would be Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them, Tomb RaiderAnnabelle.

Tomb Raider being the least likeliest (as while it is a strong franchise, it doesn't have much substance) while Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them being the most likeliest. I feel MW missed an opportunity to capitalise on the Harry Potter series -  they did have the 1st theme park attraction of the franchise but after seeing what Universal is doing overseas, I wonder if they wished in hindsight that they did make a whole themed area of the franchise. Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them provides a 2nd chance and coincidentally, the movie comes out in mid-November (which was the expected hypercoaster announcement date after the mid-August announcement didn't eventuate). I'm not sure if licensing of Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them allows MW to do a whole themed area for the franchises anymore though.

With Annabelle, I was thinking of a permanent horror themed area based around horror movie franchises - particularly if Fright Nights proves to be too much of a success in the future (they are closing Bumper Cars nearly all year for it after all - might as well build a permanent maze to save time and costs in construction/demolition & to reduce the duration of Bumper Cars' annual closing).

I don't see an extra DC Comics themed area happening unless it is based around 1 whole character/group such as The Flash & Justice League.

@Jamberoo Fan

Tomb Raider has zero scope for a themed area, sure there is a new movie but it will always been a cheap Indiana Jones comparison. 

Annabelle? Permanent scare mazes? Why would they dilute their success for FNs and the revenue they raise? 

Fantastic Beasts - fairly certain universal owns sole theme park rights to the HP world & licences now, Hense the removal of the HP store. 

This coaster won't be anything but a DC themed coaster, it's a given and will simply be an extension of the current DC 'area' at the front of the park, likely with some form or shop/photo outlet at the exit point. Will be interesting to see what they do with the locker setup, whether it will be all in lockers like SE or boxes like GL

15 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Tomb Raider has zero scope for a themed area, sure there is a new movie but it will always been a cheap Indiana Jones comparison. 

That's what I meant by "doesn't have much substance".

15 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Fantastic Beasts - fairly certain universal owns sole theme park rights to the HP world & licences now, Hense the removal of the HP store. 

I forgot that the Harry Potter store was removed due to licensing so yeah, assuming Universal hasn't shared or sold theme park rights with/to MW, probably little chance of a Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them themed area.

17 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Annabelle? Permanent scare mazes? Why would they dilute their success for FNs and the revenue they raise? 

I was only imagining 1 maze & it could be an upcharge and it would save them the time to close Bumper Cars & build/demolish the maze each year and redirect those resources to other projects. A permanent upcharge maze could become free during FN thus allowing unlimited entry into the maze. FN is selling out very regularly so it could allow those who miss out (particularly people who rarely visit MW) to visit them. If FN demands exceeds supply, then a small themed area won't hurt. The whole FN experience wouldn't be removed - it's just allowing a small teaser. MW operates in the day after all - FN is a night experience.

But yeah, after reading your post, it looks very likely to be a DC Comics-themed area. If it's a new separate area, it's probably based around 1 character/group of DC Comics like I said in my last post.

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

This coaster won't be anything but a DC themed coaster, it's a given and will simply be an extension of the current DC 'area' at the front of the park, likely with some form or shop/photo outlet at the exit point. Will be interesting to see what they do with the locker setup, whether it will be all in lockers like SE or boxes like GL

Please Movieworld.....DO NOT build pay-per-use external lockers for this new coaster. It's a horrible idea, it makes guests upset, and you loose the immediate purchase at the gift shop. Make a cupboard for loose articles in the station, with a sliding door, to allow for the safe enclosure of multiple trains worth of belongings.

i can honestly say i can't think of many overseas that do.

Those that do, or those that have strict no loose items policies that i've been on have offered free short term locker storage, with a couple of exceptions at SFMM.

Most that come to mind load\unload from the same station, or permit you to take your bags on board.

My memory is bad from when I visited US as to which coasters had a separate load, unload platform (not many from what I remember). I do recall at USH that they had free lockers for The Mummy. Most rides at Disneyland had front pockets on the seat infront which I LOVED! Obviously this coaster can't have front pockets, but if it were to have separate unload, load platforms, I can't see them putting free lockers in, without changing Superman's lockers to free aswell. 

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic