DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

21 minutes ago, AlexB said:

it does look like they've been poured in place... that many that close would suggest a launch... mid course launch perhaps?

Ooh that would be great - suspenseful lift hill with a powerful launch half-way through to give back any lost speed and give a bit of oomph to the ride when it's starting to die off.

Edited by Santa07

Yeah maybe a launch like bsg or hulk would be good, a lightning rod launch imo would be better though. It looks extremely forceful, but would need to be smooth, as we all now how awful it is with the head banging on hwsw. And, if going with the flash theming, a launched hill would suit, and so would an indoor section with themed buildings, perhaps before an issue arises, and then suiting up and doing his thing to save people through an outdoor section 

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

it does look like they've been poured in place... that many that close would suggest a launch... mid course launch perhaps?

I was referring to the ones in the back that are really bunched together! 

Just because the supports are close together doesn't mean its gonna be a launch ride, look at Flash at Lewa Adventure their support are also really close together. My question is why are the supports so big and round compared to Flash and other Mack coasters? 

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-06.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-19.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-51.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-34-44.png

Edited by Ryande16

33 minutes ago, Ryande16 said:

I was referring to the ones in the back that are really bunched together! 

Just because the supports are close together doesn't mean its gonna be a launch ride, look at Flash at Lewa Adventure their support are also really close together. My question is why are the supports so big and round compared to Flash and other Mack coasters? 

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-06.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-19.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-33-51.png

Screenshot_2016-09-30-21-34-44.png

I think it may be because the soil that the ride is being built on isn't all that superb. In saying this, the ride still is shaping up to be a massive coaster. And just remember, albeit the mack containers that were on site, we still have no confirmation that it is going to be made by mack. They could have possibly been a series of replacement parts from mack for sdsc, and if anyone hasn't noticed, all roller coasters at the park are made by different manufacturers. This could still be a b&m ?

11 minutes ago, Aw hype said:

I think it may be because the soil that the ride is being built on isn't all that superb. In saying this, the ride still is shaping up to be a massive coaster. And just remember, albeit the mack containers that were on site, we still have no confirmation that it is going to be made by mack. They could have possibly been a series of replacement parts from mack for sdsc, and if anyone hasn't noticed, all roller coasters at the park are made by different manufacturers. This could still be a b&m ?

Yeah thats what i was thinking, or its for some saftey regulation. Good point i wonder what was actually in the crates. Hahaha or an intamin ☺☺

4 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Those concrete caps in the back of that photo have been kicking around the site for a while. They have no just been poured and are only about 1m high if that. 

Look more like a pour sample or something?

How many are there?

What do you mean by poor sample?

They always make core samples of concrete when they pour something. Sometimes they crush them under pressure to make sure the concrete is strong enough for the force it needs to withstand. I know they do this on large buildings not sure about roller coasters but they keep core samples so they can use them if there is ever an investigation and they can make sure it meets the standards.

52 minutes ago, Aw hype said:

...just remember, albeit the mack containers that were on site, we still have no confirmation that it is going to be made by mack. They could have possibly been a series of replacement parts from mack for sdsc, and if anyone hasn't noticed, all roller coasters at the park are made by different manufacturers. This could still be a b&m ?

I think this was a pretty good confirmation it is a Mack coaster:

On 16/09/2016 at 6:25 AM, mattcrombie said:

Safe to say its a Mack Coaster. Got this tweet from Michael Mack, a member of the executive board of Mack Rides.

FullSizeRender.jpg

From what I could see when I was there, was they aren't concrete footers at the back, and some were stacked on top of each other, or laying on the ground. They just seemed to be plastic pipe that is being used for the concrete to be poured inside of. Some that were closer to the road had concrete inside them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themagician said:

From what I could see when I was there, was they aren't concrete footers at the back, and some were stacked on top of each other, or laying on the ground. They just seemed to be plastic pipe that is being used for the concrete to be poured inside of. Some that were closer to the road had concrete inside them.

Crap, didnt even realise.

That makes two of us @djrappa.  I'm sure it's been done before but in twenty years in the building industry I have never seen plastic pipes used as formwork.  Metal formwork is the norm so it can be reused on the next job.  From the photos I thought the formwork was made out of concrete pipe.  I putting this down to the formwork required for the capping isn't readerly available in Australia and after this project won't be needed again so they have gone with a throwaway option.   

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked and unlocked this topic
  • joz locked this topic