The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

I’ve been on both, Wipeout was always a better experience for me than the Huss top spin. That’s my personal experience. 

Like doomsday was an odd choice for Movie World, Vortex in my mind continues the trend of weird choices for a new attraction.

My visit to the park yesterday was my first experience seeing Vortex and The New Atlantis since construction had gone vertical, and the lack of anything "natural" was immediately apparent. The entryway to New Atlantis and the dolphin lagoons no longer feel welcoming as they once did, as giant concrete forms aren't as charming as a well maintained landscape. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think there is any charm, soul or personality to the New Atlantis. It just feels so very clinical, which feels so weird for a theme park.

Which queue line is themed better??? 

176192750_Screenshot_20200716-210841_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.b344f7931f40df817b42f6c5b82e2e11.jpg

20200716_211103.thumb.jpg.d645ad03d84b9fe77a69a65e8cd47796.jpg?

Personaly I prefer the theming of DW's Wipeout over VORTEX. I loved walking through the wave to get onto Wipeout. I'm aware it is a little hard to judge based of an image. But than again VORTEX was meant to open in 2019.

Edited by TomiJ
And no I'm not sucking one parks dick and shitting on the other.

I build a good ride, nicely present it and say I’m doing so. 

I don’t build a nicely presented ride, and release it with completely false representations of immersive theming and state that this theming will be world class. 

It is possible to not theme something whilst also not under delivering on expectations. 

15 minutes ago, red dragin said:

I’d imagine we would have gotten better (but not exactly the plans) had the world continued on normally.

I don’t, I think is is exactly what we would have got. 
There would have been an initial concept where everyone went ooo aaah we’re building this (which actually would have been world class, whatever that means). 
But then the usual death by committee nature of their construction would kick in, money would be absorbed by endless nonsense that does nothing for the finished product and in the end the project team would have taken a step back with what they’d turned it into and patted themselves on the back for producing such amazing theming. This is what happens when you have construction people in charge of design decisions instead of artistic people. And that’s exactly why Disney and Universal are good at what they do and others aren’t. 

Just now, rappa said:

I don’t, I think is is exactly what we would have got. 

So, how would you theme 'Vortex' with a sensible (non Disney budget)? The first image I get when someone says Vortex, is a tornado like structure, which is not a practical thing to replicate given the shear size (and height restrictions).

Just now, red dragin said:

So, how would you theme 'Vortex' with a sensible (non Disney budget)? The first image I get when someone says Vortex, is a tornado like structure, which is not a practical thing to replicate given the shear size (and height restrictions).

Pick a theme/name that can be done attractively for the budget.

Not a vague one like "Vortex" that is hard to do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gazza said:

Not a vague one like "Vortex" that is hard to do.

Yep, the name doesn't lend itself to any easy theming. At least 'The Whirlpool' lets you use ground level and down. With some walls all around it, you could design the inside to force perspective a large hole. Perhaps this was the original idea but the name wasn't possible (what with the appliance company, internet forum etc).

13 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Yep, the name doesn't lend itself to any easy theming. At least 'The Whirlpool' lets you use ground level and down. With some walls all around it, you could design the inside to force perspective a large hole. Perhaps this was the original idea but the name wasn't possible (what with the appliance company, internet forum etc).

Also Wet N Wilds attraction... you know the same company...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, red dragin said:

With some walls all around it, you could design the inside to force perspective a large hole. Perhaps this was the original idea but the name wasn't possible (what with the appliance company, internet forum etc).

Even some walls and a forced perspective hole isn't that good.

rappas pic of Talocan above I think sums up the benchmark for top spin rides.

Even if you didn't do such huge theming, the way the stonework looks gives it real character, and you could do some other thing like "Wrath of {Atlantean Character}"

If they were determined to do a vortex themed ride, then do it with a spinning ride which more readily lends itself to arranging columns etc around it in a concentric manner, as if they are being sucked towards the ride.

• Like 2

• Gazza locked this topic