DC Rivals HyperCoaster train stuck mid-course

PoolGuy

Generally in these types of setups the anemometer at the top of the lift hill is linked with the ride PLC and as such acts as an interlock which will prevent a dispatch if recorded winds exceed the design spec of the ride (which is based upon an empty train anyway).  In fact, in most cases I've seen the PLC starts a one-shot 30-min timer if the wind speed goes above threshold and will prevent dispatch for the duration, with the timer resetting every time a new wind event is recorded.

I'd be surprised if Rivals is any different, ergo it wouldn't even be possible for them to send a train if the wind was too strong.

• Like 2

In my experience there's usually a "use caution" wind speed range then a "danger" wind speed limit that activates a interlock that disables the lift hill. 

Regardless the train didn't get stuck by its own doing - there were wind speed warnings for the whole day - and now they've got another weekend with a majority of major rides closed.. again

3 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

In my experience there's usually a "use caution" wind speed range then a "danger" wind speed limit that activates a interlock that disables the lift hill. 

Isn't your idea of a anemometer the same as DW's watch the scum line to see if the water level is dropping.

1 hour ago, Dean Barnett said:

They knew it was suss - unless it broke down earlier, there's no reason to run an empty train.  

Like I said, it became stuck during morning checks. Would you rather the park just puts people on the ride first thing in the morning and hope that there's nothing mechanically wrong with the ride?

5 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Empty trains have less mass. Less mass is less potential energy. The wind takes away potential energy from the trains. 

I understand this concept quite well, I'm an engineer. All the operating procedures, wind limits, etc, would all be specified for the worst possible case plus safety factor. This will only have happened because there was some freak, momentary combination of factors. Which is why I suggested cold wheels and tracks were a likely factor too; my understanding is that there's a difference in running time on the order of multiple seconds, between the first cycles of the day and the last cycles of the day.

1 hour ago, webslave said:

Generally in these types of setups the anemometer at the top of the lift hill is linked with the ride PLC and as such acts as an interlock which will prevent a dispatch if recorded winds exceed the design spec of the ride (which is based upon an empty train anyway).  In fact, in most cases I've seen the PLC starts a one-shot 30-min timer if the wind speed goes above threshold and will prevent dispatch for the duration, with the timer resetting every time a new wind event is recorded.

I'd be surprised if Rivals is any different, ergo it wouldn't even be possible for them to send a train if the wind was too strong.

I'd also be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

I dare say then that your experience may be right up there with "according to statistics I overheard in a dream last night".

"Use Caution" is of no function unless the use of caution is a defined set of actions and/or criteria.  How exactly do you think you would "cautiously" dispatch a roller coaster train with regard to wind influence?  What additional precautions do you think would or should be taken?  When engineering mechanical plant like this we tend not to use ambiguous and nebulous instructions such as "use caution" which put the onus back onto operators, particularly when there's no guidance for said operations on what that means.

I think you need to keep in-mind that the ride is specified at empty because it's entirely foreseeable that there may be occasions where you would at the very least be dispatching a train with only one or two (potentially light) guests, not to mention that entirely routine practice of cycling the ride empty.

Given the new safety guidelines/procedures introduced after TRR, I do wonder if this is actually considered a fairly major “incident” and Movie World aren’t allowed to do anything with the ride until it’s been inspected and checked off by a 3rd party? Or perhaps they need additional approval and are required to take extra steps in rectifying the problem in a way that’s different from parks in other areas? Even with the poor maintenance and other issues the park has faced recently, it seems ridiculous that MW would let one of their landmark attractions just sit there and not do anything about it. There has to be more to the story than we realize.  

Also, I just noticed that even the Looney Tunes Splash Zone has had it’s reopening date pushed back a few days (from the 9th to the 12th) What a terrible time to visit Move World. 

I’m at the park today. Rivals still in same spot. 

superman also hasn’t opened yet, so queues on everything else are already large. 

also, multiple effects on Scooby aren’t working and WWF is getting operated with every second boat empty for some reason 

Edited by Brendo88

According to the parks website, Batwing has reopened. School Holidays are starting in a week from today, if Rivals is still in the same spot nearly 2 weeks later im doubtful it will be open in time. Hopefully they can get it open for Fright Nights at least, even though there is other experiences and entertainment, having your signature ride closed (and superman most likely down) with already not many rides open during the event with a ticket costing $79-$99 isn’t a good look. 

Edited by Rivals

On 11/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, Noll_57 said:

What a terrible time to visit Move World. 

And yet the crowds still come out in force, feeling sorry for floor staff at the moment dealing with disgruntled GP that don’t understand why so many rides are down. 

MW needs one or two more reliable capacity monsters in the park to soften the blow when some of these more unreliable rides go down. Something tried and true that has high capacity and low maintenance issues. The issue is less about DC rivals and more about the number of major attractions that are down both planned and unexpected at a given time. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coasterjoe said:

MW needs one or two more reliable capacity monsters in the park to soften the blow when some of these more unreliable rides go down. Something tried and true that has high capacity and low maintenance issues. The issue is less about DC rivals and more about the number of major attractions that are down both planned and unexpected at a given time. 

#BringBackLooneyTunesRiverRide

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Park Addict 93 said:

You were saying? Credit to Ash on Insta.

D6B263CD-67E7-4BA7-9F15-ABB39B71C797.png

57BB088D-655D-44A7-8414-B945941240E3.png

I’ve never seen a pull through happen before or know how they work (clearing myself incase this is a stupid question) but, will they pull the train through all the way until the breaks, or do they just release it at a safe high point to where it’ll be able to complete? 

Edited by Rivals

• joz locked this topic