The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

3 hours ago, franky said:

What is it about Trident that makes in a lemon? I know it's had weather issues but I haven't kept up to speed on anything else.

I don't think most versions of this attraction utilise the dual seat belts, and I assume this is an Australian \ Queensland \ Post-TRRR Risk assessment reduction strategy. 

The operations are about as @Guest 239 has indicated, which is to say woefully slow, no fault of the ops themselves. 

They appear to have individual control of the seatbelts by row, as they were having some troubles with one row when I was in queue and were able to lock and unlock a specific row, so if this be the case, let guests do up their own belts, and if one isn't done right, just unlock and redo that particular row. 
Stage guests and group them prior to loading, have them ready to load when the previous cycle lands, and let them in a short time after the last group is unlocked. 

The ride itself is fun and enjoyable, and the slower speed is more accessible to riders than a faster version. They just need to work on how they can improve capacity through operational efficiencies.

I honestly think the only reason they went with SBF for Trident is SBF offering Village Trident at a discounted cost when they purchased Cosmic Boom, and as it was a cheaper option they decided to opt out of the 60m Funtime star flyer to save some money. 

If operations continue being this bad while the ride is always down for wind or technical issues, i don’t think the ride has a very bright future at the park. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Rivals said:

If operations continue being this bad while the ride is always down for wind or technical issues, i don’t think the ride has a very bright future at the park. 

It’s a shame as a Star Flyer is pretty much perfect for the park, but choosing an inferior model will hurt in the long run.

49 minutes ago, aaronm said:

It’s a shame as a Star Flyer is pretty much perfect for the park, but choosing an inferior model will hurt in the long run.

It’s not the long run and it’s already hurting..

2 hours ago, New display name said:

If they are staved of entertainment, why do the parks close so early

Because they have no competition people will pay it they open short or long. It’s easier to operate shorter times and there’s no competition they need to compete with or try to have longer operating hours then.  See below quote ⬇️

2 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Australia is starved for entertainment options and operators can and do get away with lots of things

This is the same reason the parks don’t operate longer hours.. if there was more entertainment options around they would need to open longer 

Edited by REGIE

Go with a cheaper manufacturer.. have lots of issues. Or pay a little bit more... and have a ride that more than likely wouldn't have as many issues. Hmmm... I know what I would have picked.

Such a shame as the StarFlyer was a perfect fit, even the travelling model they had as a temp attraction is a better ride than this one.

• Like 2

are Huss Topspin’s normally as unreliable as Vortex? It seems like besides Batwing, Village make really poor decisions when choosing flat rides… Doomsday is down more then it’s not, Vortex seems to have an issue every second day, Trident can’t even operate in high winds even though it’s right next to a beach while also having horrendous operations… it’s a shame

Edited by Rivals
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, New display name said:

If they are staved of entertainment, why do the parks close so early?

Hmmm.... let me see....

15 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

operators can and do get away with lots of things they shouldn't simply because there is no competitor?

Yep, already covered that!

11 hours ago, Spotty said:

even the travelling model they had as a temp attraction is a better ride than this one.

The restraints on the travelling model were horrible. Trident's seatbelts are an operational nightmare, but they're far more comfortable.

2 hours ago, REGIE said:

The biggest shame imo is that Luna park Sydney ditched their looping star ship for a pendulum that is all around Australia 

I'd love to see a park bring another Intamin Looping Starship to Australia. Seeing TPWW visit Sunway Lagoon made me all sorts of nostalgic... 

13 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I'd love to see a park bring another Intamin Looping Starship to Australia. Seeing TPWW visit Sunway Lagoon made me all sorts of nostalgic... 

Hahaha Shawn didn’t rate it very well unfortunately.

When I visited Busch Gardens Tampa a few years ago, I went on their Looping Starship and the nostalgia certainly flowed!! This unit has also since been removed and retired and further examples of Intamin’s Looping Starship are getting rarer and rarer.

As an aside , I enjoyed watching the Sunway Vlog but was wondering when the Dragons Flight Waveswinger from Wonderland was removed? I knew it was set up and operated there for quite a while. Are there any other rides other than Bounty still operating at Sunway or anywhere else? 

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

Fun fact: Tim Fischer was a fan of Bountys at Wonderland and the other looping starships at the Paramount parks, which is why MW has Doomsday.

That's like saying science and medicine were fans of penicillin, and that's why we have AIDS.

49 minutes ago, Jobe said:

Hahaha Shawn didn’t rate it very well unfortunately.

When I visited Busch Gardens Tampa a few years ago, I went on their Looping Starship and the nostalgia certainly flowed!! This unit has also since been removed and retired and further examples of Intamin’s Looping Starship are getting rarer and rarer.

As an aside , I enjoyed watching the Sunway Vlog but was wondering when the Dragons Flight Waveswinger from Wonderland was removed? I knew it was set up and operated there for quite a while. Are there any other rides other than Bounty still operating at Sunway or anywhere else? 

Not sure how much of his rating is due to the ride experience, and how much of that is due to Sunway's care and maintenance of the attraction - he did say the place had had it's hey-day many years prior, and it really looked like it too. 

I did enjoy the vlog, and like you, thought Dragon's was still in the park, and was shocked to find it wasn't. When it left Wonderland the mast was fractured, so I was surprised when they did set it up but my guess is she was not long for this world and it makes sense that it isn't still there.

As for other attractions - I think Demon is the only other still out there (Wonderla Park I think). I know that Snowy Rafts were sold, as were the vintage cars, skyrider cabins, Dodgem cars, Skyhawk went to the GC but I don't think it ever operated. Taz was being trailerised but I don't think they finished the project. I never saw Endeavour again. Wizard's was scrapped long before closure. Probe allegedly went to Sunway but never constructed. Zodiac was scrapped too from memory. Not sure on the kiddie rides - most of those could have been trailerised pretty easily, but were pretty custom jobs.

That's like saying science and medicine were fans of penicillin, and that's why we have AIDS.

WTF?

He believed that the looping rides were a crowd favorite and tended to be popular with spectators, and Doomsday is a modern take on that style of ride.

Like, you genuinely cant see that Bounty's and Doomsday are from the same family of attractions?

Edited by Gazza

15 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Like, you genuinely cant see that Bounty's and Doomsday are from the same family of attractions?

It's hard to ignore the visual similarity, but a 'swinging ship' powered on the ground =\= a fully controlled and driven movement. 

Consider a purist's definition of a roller coaster as compared to a powered "coaster".

Anyhow, doesn't change what I originally said. 

The looping starship was seen as a crowd pleaser back in the day.

Intamin don't make it anymore, so the suspended double hammer was seen as the next best thing, especially with the gimmick of floorless seating. Broadly the ride movement looks the same to a potential rider or bystander, even if it's not free swinging like the original looping starship.