The New Atlantis - Reviews & Reactions

themagician

3 minutes ago, Dean Barnett said:

What kinda injury happens if ST’s switch track doesn’t lock in properly?

the train simple wouldn’t launch. if it did launch and the switch track somehow moved even an inch, after the train left the LSM’s, the LSM’s would catch the train instead and stop it instead of launching it backwards.

besides that, this is real random.

TO answer the question - the train doesn't leave the station if the track isn't locked. The launch doesn't start if the track isn't locked. At both times, the train is stopped, and it doesn't move until the PLC confirms the track has reached the correct point. It also has prox sensors configured by the manufacturer to ensure the track is exactly where its supposed to be, with multiple redundancies. I've seen them all up close. The ride is certified to fail safe.

TL:DR Dean is trying to prove a point by saying that an essential element of the ride design, built into the PLC and designed by the manufacturer is somehow comparable with an off-the-shelf product that 'talks' to the ride control system. 

• Like 1

1. Operator presses button to open doors
  2. Operator visually checks doors are open (departing and arrving doors open at once)
  3. Operator dispatches ride.
  4. Arriving train parks - operator presses button to close doors

The trains already dispatch painfully slowly so it's not gonna impact on throughput anyway. Will probably save them money from airconditioning losses too.

It was just an idea .. sorry.

The trouble with all of that is you still aren't mitigating the risk of the doors closing onto a moving train that has guests on board. 

Not to mention, in your explanation, the operator has manual control of the doors - which is even worse than having it tied into the ride PLC.

Also Also - You've banged on repeatedly about how long operations are here, and how they should be more efficient, yet you keep coming up with ridiculous unrealistic ideas that, even if implemented, are guaranteed to slow operations down further.

You don't need a light door, just a light trap. The ideal solution for Leviathan would have been to build a tunnel out of the station to the overpass that crosses the lift hill, and a tunnel at the end that turns 90 degrees into the brake run.  That didn't happen and likely never will.

Doors can be made fail-safe with a gravity driven, counter weighted design and ratcheting anti-rollback mechanisms that need to be powered to release.  But that's more maintenance and any failure would result in the current experience, so it's not really worth it.  The passive tunnel design would be the way to go if it were to be done at all. 

It would also solve the small sight-line issue of the white shed walls visible from the brake run which break the immersion when the rest of the ride/station is so well themed.

I dunno why there is so much hyperventilation about the idea of a door across the track. 

Heaps of rides use soft rubber doors, and lets be honest the station is a low speed environment.

Meanwhile you have coasters like Juvulen or Blue Fire with actual doors across the launch track the train could hit at high speed.

If its controlled by the ride system, and you verfiy with a sensor, how is the risk the door doesn't open any worse than the risk your transfer track on your multi pass launch isn't in position, or that your vertical elevator car isnt in position before the car rolls into it.

I do prefer the light lock idea.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Gazza said:

I dunno why there is so much hyperventilation about the idea of a door across the track. 

Heaps of rides use soft rubber doors, and lets be honest the station is a low speed environment.

Meanwhile you have coasters like Juvulen or Blue Fire with actual doors across the launch track the train could hit at high speed.

If its controlled by the ride system, and you verfiy with a sensor, how is the risk the door doesn't open any worse than the risk your transfer track on your multi pass launch isn't in position, or that your vertical elevator car isnt in position before the car rolls into it.

I do prefer the light lock idea.

All the rides with doors in use aren't Australian. Those in Australia that have\had doors in position across track have been otherwise switched off or disabled.

Everything i've heard or read about these doors\effects were associating the lockout of the doors as being a safety risk of collision or fire. Superman and Scooby are the main examples here, and last I checked they (the doors) were both still offline. it'd be great if they came back as I feel they added something to the experience. Everything said here is from my own observation and I don't claim to have any insider knowledge or otherwise - to be honest, I hope i'm wrong, but if I am wrong, it means the parks have disabled these additional effects for non-safety reasons - so the parks are either cautious (safety reasons), lazy (for not getting things fixed), or are happy to negatively impact the guest experience for the sake of efficiency (removal of effects to speed up dispatches).

(If there's a fourth reason for this i'm not aware of i'd be grateful if someone could explain it)

And any of those three reasons is enough reason not to install them into Leviathan.

I also prefer the light lock idea.

16 hours ago, Rivals said:

Im not sure why everyone keeps mentioning Superman’s doors being closed, they’ve been operating the past couple times since i visited, i haven’t seen them closed since like 2020/2021.

I've taken pains to allow for that since:

On 31/07/2023 at 2:49 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Superman had those doors too between load and unload. they were gone for so long, but i heard they recently came back. 

16 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Superman and Scooby are the main examples here, and last I checked they (the doors) were both still offline.

Regardless, Superman doors don't ever interact with guests, so hardly comparable if it is a safety \ risk issue.

They are swing outward doors. So are Justice League. I excluded JL and WWF from my reply earlier as they're both designed as swing doors and the front of the car will bump them out of the way - they're hinged to move in the direction the ride vehicle moves (and moves slowly). Sliding doors are more likely to be broken through, unless they have a breakaway section attached in case of collision..

3 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

They are swing outward doors. So are Justice League. I excluded JL and WWF from my reply earlier as they're both designed as swing doors and the front of the car will bump them out of the way - they're hinged to move in the direction the ride vehicle moves (and moves slowly). Sliding doors are more likely to be broken through, unless they have a breakaway section attached in case of collision..

Does that mean it would be ok to have swing doors then on other rides?