Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster Overhaul

Spotty

1 hour ago, Gobbledok said:

Old mate and his fire eyes

Don't have a cry matey - i'm just throwing back to some old-time parkz lore. Nobody said you were lying - just that it wasn't recalled \ hadn't seen it.

If you'd like to illustrate things a little better - try this -

First photo is 1998, second one is 2012.

QAP5611029.thumb.JPG.a23915ca4f05cdbfdbe108f5858f9c99.JPGmap_20120614.thumb.png.86d0d6a6fa56f1138ab472c875716a6a.png

The shadows alone show the roof is higher (note the small lean to at the rear near the Lethal helix).

You can also see the facades for chinatown - clearly they had to cut the facade off the corner of the building to fit the lift structure in, but in the 97 shot you can see the facades are level with the top of the soundstage, whereas you can see in the 2012 shot that the shed extends well above those facade heights.

(Also pretty disappointing, given that the lethal theme was there for many years after, that they didn't extend the chinatown theming over the scooby lift - it could easily have been done in a way that could be swung away if the lift needed to be accessed)

• Like 1

That's a great find on the 1998 photo! 

This somewhat peaked my interest given I knew they raised the roof but then I went looking and couldn't find any real evidence of such a thing. Sadly google Earth only went back to 2002 so happy you pulled that above photo. Are there more from other years?

I did have a look though over at Movie Park because they had the exact same building setup (apart from roof material) from their Gremlin's ride and in their refit used the same building as original so you can see on this comparison that the buildings there are all one height.

Bit of fascinating park trivia and I 100% recon this would have been another one of those ways to make a project more economical back in the day with loopholes and cleaver constructions hacks.

1612657983_ScreenShot2023-12-11at10_19_45am.png.e0d1d82c04482f685c7727bff32dd58a.png

81414655_ScreenShot2023-12-11at10_15_43am.thumb.png.d76b9771988718865aa02faf5741f915.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rappa said:

Sadly google Earth only went back to 2002 so happy you pulled that above photo. Are there more from other years?

There are, though this image scaled 1:3000 was the most high res photo I could find pre-scooby and post-park construction in 1991. The others show different angles but at far worse resolution - This one came from the Qimagery site.

5 hours ago, jjuttup said:

Are they turbines? Was there a fire sale that DW bought everything of?

Remember that this photo is from the construction of Scooby, which replaced the Great Gremlin Adventure. Gremlins featured a "tour" of the WB Studios, with an "evacuation" taking place that lead you through the 'film archives'.

The majority of what you're seeing in that picture are the old school film set lights. Many of this type of light are still dotted around the top edge main street facades. 

Warner Brothers Movie World photos by The Theme Park Guy

The only other thing i recognise that doesn't look like film set lighting could be a projector prop similar to this (except obviously larger):

Cinema camera projector hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

• 4 weeks later...

I Noticed Today that they Slightly Changed the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster Sign, instead of it saying: "Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster: Next Generation" It Now says: "Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster Temporarily Closed for Exciting Upgrade"

20240103_152101.heic

3 minutes ago, Rydah Hi said:

I Noticed Today that they Slightly Changed the Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster Sign, instead of it saying: "Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster: Next Generation" It Now says: "Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster Temporarily Closed for Exciting Upgrade"

20240103_152101.heic 3.44 MB · 0 downloads

For Those who can't see it, Here's a Screenshot of the Photo.

Screenshot_20240103-153203_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Rydah Hi

It was only recently Movie World updated the text description in the app for SDSC to say closed, it said “closing at the end of the school holidays” all year. Safe to say communication is not VRTP’s strong suit. The ride is also still included under rides on the app, considering the main use of the app is navigation/checking ride wait times I think it should be removed until it’s reopening. 

Whilst this sign change is better than the standard a-frame maintenance sign that has been outside the ride since closure I think they should do better with a custom a-frame or similar with a bit more information, maybe even concept art.

People like to take photos with the ride signs/replicate old photos so I think this should have been left as is so people can do so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, New display name said:

100% communication sucks at Village but why continue with the hate when they do the right thing?  What incentives does that give MW to comunicate when doing the right thing doesn't stop the haters?

No hate, just observation.  Gut feel is they'd happily leave up an unlaminated A4 sheet for six months without batting an eyelid, so when they are willing to go the extra mile on a for-real sign then you know they are all-in on it taking while.

5 minutes ago, webslave said:

No hate, just observation.  Gut feel is they'd happily leave up an unlaminated A4 sheet for six months without batting an eyelid, so when they are willing to go the extra mile on a for-real sign then you know they are all-in on it taking while.

You're not in the hate club.