The Off Topic Topic

6 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

SW taking the lead from MW & DW and installing a roof over the food court area, looking take advantage of the venue hire market...

Whilst this will give them a great "most-weather" venue in-park for events, i think the park as a day-guest has been in desperate need of this. With the exception of queuehouses, the park is severely lacking in covered areas for shelter, other than main gate.

I look forward to it

25 minutes ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

one thing that I notice with the pictures that Brad posted, the carinval games are not there?

I wouldn't read too much into it - the artist's impression is meant to paint the 'picture perfect' look. I doubt sea world would ditch these.

I would like to see them open the railway gate as a result of this however and finally allow a bypass. I feel like they will have to open the gate for the construction period anyway - and once they open it - it will prove that there is no reason for it to be closed!

I've seen a lot of stories going around lately about the General Manager of SW Bikash Randhawa.  I’m not going to repeat them but what truth do you take from people reviews of a person within a park?  Is it just people bitching or once you hear more than one person saying it could be some truth to the matter?

Edited by skeetafly

12 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Saw this on Movie World's Facebook page.

A petition to try and get Harry Potter themed land to MW because 'Warner Bros Movie World still owns the rights to the film they just partnered with Universal to make the attractions in their already established parks.'

* Which is not true because Village owns MW.

I remeber someone was begging SW to build a Disney Junior land in the park with Jake and The Neverland pirates (correct me if that is the correct name of the show) area as well..

7 hours ago, skeetafly said:

I've seen a lot of stories going around lately about the General Manager of SW Bikash Randhawa.  I’m not going to repeat them but what truth do you take from people reviews of a person within a park?  Is it just people bitching or once you hear more than one person saying it could be some truth to the matter?

Haven't heard anything and can't find anything online. PM details? 

The park however does still have the trains and some sections of track, presumably for construction of a memorial of sorts to the Gold Coast icon.

http://www.parkz.com.au/parks/AU/Gold_Coast/Dreamworld/ride/246-Thunderbolt

Does anyone know if this is still true regarding the old Dreamworld Thunderbolt rollercoaster? I'm curious as to where this information was sourced from. We've asked staff a couple of times now about it, but nobody seems to know or have seen anything related to these retained train/parts behind the scenes :huh:

From my memory, when the ride was scrapped, then CEO Tony Braxton Smith told the media that they were going to put the train on a piece of track in the park to pay homage. He also said they'd replace it with an even bigger thrill ride on the same spot. With that in mind, a piece of track, slightly curved but long enough to put nearly a full train on was left behind for many years in what would eventually become a ride boneyard of sorts. While this idea was coming into fruition, there was a single carriage left near the old staff smoko area for the team to jump in and get photos. This was all back during 2003-07. Girls replaced my focus for quite a few years after I left high school and I stopped going to theme parks for a while, and by the time I managed to hitch one for a little while and started heading back to the parks there wasn't a trace left.

I have no doubt at this point some of the boys in engineering have most of the pieces and bits in their own stash sans the piece of track. From my own passing observations I haven't seen anything in the last few years now.

Edited by Slick

Oh bugger @Slick, that's a shame. We had been trying to work out where they would be still storing these in the park, if they were still in fact doing so. Current ride staff have mentioned that the junkyard area behind WWW (near the staff carpark) houses a few old ride parts like the Reef Diver, and the original TOT car is said to still be just sitting in there too. I've also spotted a giant fibreglass prawn lying in there, you can see it from the HWSW stairwell lol. But no Thunderbolt remains :( So we thought maybe somewhere else, like in those train sheds behind the old blue lagoon water park.

I guess it was wishful thinking to hope that they were still around after all this time, but yeah, I guess there was no point in them still being in the park at this stage, if they haven't done anything tribute wise with them by now -_-

Just now, reanimated35 said:

Not sure why they'd put up a display though - what was so iconic about the thunderbolt for them to display?

Everything. It was Australia's first ever looping coaster, and to date no coasters here have been able to match its length. It may have had a bad reputation of being a rough coaster, but it was definitely iconic for its time.

First good looping coaster ?

Yeah first triple loop roller coaster was their claim to fame with Corkscrew.  I've never really thought about it, but given Thunderbolt was a double loop coaster and it opened a year or so earlier, it suddenly makes a ton of sense why they would have made going upside down 3 times such a big part of their promotion of Corkscrew.

Thunderbolt was pretty ordinary, but it's hard to imagine how just how enticing it looked from the highway.  Another thing it had going for it, is that it was a long ride, so it just looked like a massive, imposing, heap of track, particularly back in the days before there was anything else to really look at on the M1.  100% Gold Coast icon, up there with Grundy's, the image of the Corkscrew going under the monorail track, Lorikeets and the chairlift in Miami.

Don't forget there was no M1, so the thunderbolts loops were literally right on the side of the highway. 

As for Harry Potter... The small version in Hollywood cost HALF A BILLION dollars. Good luck Gold Coast :P 

For whoever was asking Bikash is the GM of both SW Park and the resort and has brought some pretty huge improvements to the resort in recent times. Can't see why this won't be a great addition to the park. 

just a update at SWimage.jpeg

the bridge near Creatures Of The Deep is getting refubished by Mack Rides, image.jpeg

new theming around Seal Theatre

image.jpeg the Skylift station near Penguin Encounter now blocked off, the station in front of the SpongeBob 3D is open again, it would be good if they added some chairs in the area, or maybe add a dippin dots shop in there instead?

• rappa locked this topic