The Off Topic Topic

Old Sydney Town heritage listed by National Trust

Catherine Stubbs, Central Coast Express Advocate

July 8, 2019 11:25am

The saga of Old Sydney Town has taken a surprising new twist after it was revealed that the long defunct heritage theme park site has been listed by the National Trust.

National Trust (NSW) conservation director Graham Quint confirmed the listing this month and said it was “in recognition of the living museum’s cultural significance and historic interpretation of Colonial history prior to the arrival of Governor Macquarie”.

image.thumb.png.a87bae54464fdfd01949be6fa1f5fad8.png
Old Sydney Town was renown for its depictions of colonial life.

“It was highly regarded by families and provided a fantastic site for education and particularly popular at the time of Australia’s Bicentennial celebrations in 1988,” Mr Quint said.

Mr Quint added The National Trust (NSW) Register lists places that were cultural components of the natural or cultural environment of Australia, that have aesthetic, historic, architectural, archaeological, scientific or social significance or other special value for future generations, as well as for the present community.

image.thumb.png.a25e8c312b95855c052b2bf4338cef7f.png
National Trust conservation director, Graham Quin said the Old Sydney Town site was rare and unique. Picture: Justin Sanson

“Old Sydney Town is rare and unique in its portrayal of Sydney and its environs as they existed at a time when the tiny town was still a strict convict settlement, struggling to survive,” he said.

“Its genesis was based on a small but intensive body of interest that was brought to life in the historical research of scholars including the Old Sydney Town founder Frank Fox.”

Mr Quint said Central Coast Council had been notified of the listing.

image.thumb.png.d3bbf7290a635321568954c46a3cb03b.png
People queuedg up to see visit Old Sydney Town beforein closed on January 27, 2003. Picture: Elenor Tedenborg

The listing may come as a surprise to the new owners of the Old Sydney Town site who bought it from French hotel tycoon Richard Chieu in 2018 for $20 million.

Just eight weeks ago the group, calling itself World Culture Tourism Village, unveiled new plans for the 120 hectare site including resurrecting parts of Old Sydney Town and building a global tourism village and leisure precinct.

The plans also included building community indoor and outdoor spaces, a boutique retail shopping village, a food and bar precinct, water activities, hotels, exhibition spaces, retail spaces and residential development.

image.thumb.png.d2868f96b4778cd5cd2d20e9669b4148.png
Old windmill at Old Sydney Town.

How the National Trust listing will impact on those plans is uncertain.

Graham Quint said listing on the National Trust Register did not have “legal force”.

“It is however, recognised as an authoritative statement of historical, architectural importance or other value of a building, site, item, or area, and by listing such items on its register, the National Trust hopes to advise the public of the value of Australia’s national heritage,” Mr Quint said.

image.thumb.png.9309b136b13ffef0c4b8d77fa4d72bcd.png
Old Sydney Town waterfront area with potters hut and bottle kiln at right. Picture: @switchy3 / Mitchell Hubbard

“The National Trust does not advocate rigid and unnecessarily restrictive development controls with regard to listed items or places.

“However, it recommends that their significance as part of the national, state or local heritage should be conserved through controls that allow, where necessary, for new and compatible development and associated works, all of which respect the character of the place or item through enhancement rather than conflict.”

image.thumb.png.7d7f2d1cc9888d030bfa5a546ea7407d.png
One of the dwellings in Old Sydney Town in a state of disrepair.

Central Coast Mayor Jane Smith said she was unsure if council had received official notification of heritage listing.

“But I recognise the memories that many Central Coast residents will have of Old Sydney Town and welcome any recognition of its significance,” Cr Smith said.

“I would expect that these factors will need to be taken into consideration with any proposal for the future of the site.”

You're welcome @StingRay

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Unfortunately it seems as though the water flows slower in Jurassic World, so they don’t stay in sync for long, but this should help with comparisons.

worth noting - I’ve seen several videos of the new version now, and I don’t think the boat is supposed to stop in the final room - nor is it supposed to show the TREX twice, but you get the idea...

Yep. I still say the Jurassic Park ride looks way better. It just has a lot more atmospherics.

Shame, as I actually think the Jurassic World movie is better than the Jurassic Park ones!

Perhaps they needed more space to do a proper job of it.

It looks rather weak during the day, but during the night is where i feel it gets its spark. The "Dinosaurs ruled the earth" illuminates and really brings the scene together, same with Predator Cove and the lack of illuminated letters. It really adds a HHN vibe to a normal ride.

And with OST, went to the Reptile Park last week and you could not tell where the entry was. It was so overridden with long grass and even a couple of young trees. There was a mesh work fence across it also with weeds growing up it.

I’ll save criticism for when I’ve ridden it, but watching those 2 side by side (and noting there was certainly some form of timing issue on JW in the final section), I think outside of the dead area leading into the t-Rex lift, it still looks great, I can forgive the plot holes and lack of sequencing. 

10 hours ago, jjuttp said:

during the night is where i feel it gets its spark.

Park Hours: 9am-10pm

Sunset: 8:08pm

So the ride is at it's best for less than 2 out of 13 hours, or 15% of it's operating day. Awesome. 🙌

7 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I can forgive the plot holes and lack of sequencing. 

I rewatched the comparison video last night. For me - its a few simple things that could have really made it work.

• Extend the mosasaurus 'tunnel' so that it is connected to the rock 'cave', making it look like the rock forms part of the tank walls. It doesn't need any other screens, just a wall that takes you into the cave, rather than coming out of the tank, having a metre of jungle and then back into the cave. A water attraction that size would have massive retaining structures, and the 'bare wall' ending just doesn't work.
  • Bring back the popcorn compys. a little comedy in an otherwise serious and 'scary' ride is a little bit of fun.
  • The old hadrosaur gate was directly in front of you for a long time, and now, you're faced up to -nothing-. Put a sign up there talking about hadrosaurs or something - just give people something to focus on until the hadrosaur appears and\or they turn the corner into the predator cove
  • The Raptor enclosure is completely out of place. It doesn't belong in the Jurassic World universe. The new paddock looks like it was built with shipping containers, and they probably could have just built the gateway (seen on the left in the below image) in front of the existing set without much issue. Have a hydraulic gate half open and attempting to close with some machinery sound effects and you really add to the story
    Screen-Shot-2015-10-21-at-9.28.46-PM.png
  • A little more commentary on why we're suddenly diverted 'uphill' - Pratt's "we're going to evacuate you on the level platform ahead" is a weak attempt after you're already halfway up. The earlier screens - outside the tunnel could have had more going on (especially in such a blank area) to explain why you are going up a lift hill.
  • I think the Rex timing is shitty. It's like it has kept it's old timing, but the boat doesn't go fast enough to time it right. The Indominus could be 'coming after you' as you edge toward the final drop, and the Rex comes out to save the day with the same 'holy shit' moment when it comes out on top of you.

Most of this is minor, and wouldn't have impacted the budget too much. an extra metre or so of wall, something in the hadrosaur gate gap - even a static sign, or some additional theming elements to draw your eye. An additional script dialog for the lower screens, and some adjusted timing for Rex. The Raptor gate is the only majorly expensive change, and if it was the only thing on my list i think i'd probably overlook it, but its the difference between doing the retheme justice, and half-arseing it.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 1

It is Disney so it's reasonable to assume that it features some great effects. 

Nevertheless, $120 ($30 each) is just way over the top for what's really just a game of mini golf! 

I might consider up to  $20 each maximum if I knew the effects were mind-blowing. 

Edited by pushbutton

I did it last month when it was half price online. It was pretty good, but nothing amazing. And definitely not worth the normal price. Because if it’s location and materials used for the holes, for some of them, you’d hit the ball and it wouldn’t stay where it landed, it just rolled back to the start. Making some holes very difficult 

Here is a link to an article on the SMH website  that shows rare photos of Sydney's former amusement parks such as Wonderland , Manly Fun Pier, White City, Mt Druitt Waterworks and many more. If your like me and love the history of Australian theme parks then this is a blast. The link doesnt appear to be behind a paywall and the article will not copy with all the photos. Enjoy.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydneys-forgotten-theme-parks-20190713-h1g6y1.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1bZMqiBgLgYborCoBHRvIEZTGBVv-oXM03INXq44KqrIZZLKrb40HaIrg#Echobox=1562994604

Also, if any of you haven't seen this book or don't have a copy, then check out the Australian Coaster Club Facebook page where you can get copies of The Story of Australian Roller Coasters available for $20 plus P & H ( Thats a bargain!!) I can attest to this being a great read and it has very accurate info and some very rare photos indeed!! It is very thorough in its examination of the story of Roller Coasters in Australia. It is perhaps the only book I know of that focuses solely on Australian coasters and its history and is a must have for any enthusiast!
Australian Coaster Club
January 14 · 

Have some copies of our book, The Story of Australian Roller Coasters available.

The Story of Australian Roller Coasters looks at the history of Roller Coasters in Australia, New Zealand and around the world. Including many from the 19th Century. Includes many great photos.

Anyone who would like copy ($20.00plus P&H) message us and only happy to sell you a copy.

No photo description available.
Australian Coaster Club
Travel Company
Edited by Jobe
  • Like 3

• rappa locked this topic