Ideas For The Old Sea Viper Space

As much as I have no desire to see a doctor who ride at Sea World I'll play devils advocate for a minute and say before Bermuda we had a ride about a flooded mine. 

Apart from the fact you were in a boat and there was water it wasn't exactly 'on theme' for the park was it. 

I get what you're saying. In a park with predominantly low lying buildings, it would be quite odd to see a plain white shed that's 20 metres or so tall sticking out like a sore thumb, but there are options. They could easily theme a show building and make it fit into it's surroundings, or even go a step further and make most of the show building underground, as this would keep consistency with the rest of the park and would be much more approachable when it comes to theming. 

I'm not just talking about how the building would fit into the park - i'm also talking about the skyline of the spit - something that is continually an issue for Sea World's development. I'm positive any large warehouse like building, regardless of whether it is themed or not would meet with large opposition from the many residents occupying broadwater fronting property.

Care to give some examples?

No, because I don't really care about the specifics of it. More Rides should be Sea World's current mantra, and for the size of the park, Coasters aren't really needed right now... They need some flats that offer high capacity and are re-rideable to: round out the park's offering, alleviate congestion on existing rides, make the park more attractive to the non-family market. I'll point to Ocean parade as an example - whilst not specifically saying Claw, Wipeout, Shockwave, Reef Diver, StingRay etc - this is the kind of setup they should be going for.

As for not caring about SW's geological problems - or whatever it was you said - Whilst we can dream - we have to be realistic. Digging down into what would be mostly sand, with the water table where it sits is nightmarish - they encountered enough problems working with Storm. TO suggest they build STOREYS below sea level is fanciful, and would cost the park more than they'd ever make back on the ride itself. There would be an inherent risk of flooding and collapse that is just not viable just so you can put a coaster indoors. Likewise, on the subject of being realistic - Dr Who is never coming to Sea World.

I'm not just talking about how the building would fit into the park - i'm also talking about the skyline of the spit - something that is continually an issue for Sea World's development. I'm positive any large warehouse like building, regardless of whether it is themed or not would meet with large opposition from the many residents occupying broadwater fronting property.

I get what you're saying now. I never really took that into consideration when I was dreaming about what could be there, so I didn't even realise that this could be an actual issue. 

No, because I don't really care about the specifics of it. More Rides should be Sea World's current mantra, and for the size of the park, Coasters aren't really needed right now... They need some flats that offer high capacity and are re-rideable to: round out the park's offering, alleviate congestion on existing rides, make the park more attractive to the non-family market. I'll point to Ocean parade as an example - whilst not specifically saying Claw, Wipeout, Shockwave, Reef Diver, StingRay etc - this is the kind of setup they should be going for.

As for flat rides, I don't really care either. All I ask is that whatever creative team is behind it (In-House, Atomiq, Sanderson, etc.) can make it a proper themed experience, similar to the Wipeout instead of some generic carnival crap. One look at the Wipeout and you instantly know the theme and the story. This is probably what would be the deciding factor in whether I like this potential new addition or not.

As for not caring about SW's geological problems - or whatever it was you said - Whilst we can dream - we have to be realistic. Digging down into what would be mostly sand, with the water table where it sits is nightmarish - they encountered enough problems working with Storm. TO suggest they build STOREYS below sea level is fanciful, and would cost the park more than they'd ever make back on the ride itself. There would be an inherent risk of flooding and collapse that is just not viable just so you can put a coaster indoors. Likewise, on the subject of being realistic - Dr Who is never coming to Sea World.

Honestly, I'm glad these types of things arise in this thread. I wouldn't know about the problems that the park has with it's land otherwise. Well, back to the drawing board, eh?

I don't think this would work. Just because it has an aquatic antagonist doesn't mean that it fits with Sea World's on thematic style. Franchises such as the The Avengers at Disneyland's Tomorrowland work because at their core, they share a solid foundation with the park's/themed area's own aesthetic. Think about it for a second. Iron Man is basically a marvel in engineering, helicarriers that can go invisible and alien invasions are inherently science fiction based, therefore they work in a science fiction themed area. Dr Who is, at it's core, Science Fiction / Science Fantasy. Does this match with Sea World's aquatic theme? Not really.

I can't believe I just read this. I mean yes maybe Dr Who is too obscure but did you ever ride Bermuda Triangle. That ENTIRE RIDE was about aliens...

I can't believe I just read this. I mean yes maybe Dr Who is too obscure but did you ever ride Bermuda Triangle. That ENTIRE RIDE was about aliens...

I know, not exactly my most convincing point, but there's a method to my madness...

Bermuda Triangle fits the aquatic theme as it is inherently an oceanic myth. The legend of the Bermuda Triangle originated from the disappearance not only planes but ships as well. Not to mention the fact that the Bermuda Triangle is an area predominantly occupied by ocean. This works at Sea World as it has the legend has its roots with the ocean. 

Not only does the Bermuda Triangle focus on a story that is inherently oceanic in subject matter, but can get away with some 'detached' thematic elements as it's core relates back to the park's theme. The Aliens in the Bermuda Triangle, IMHO, work because one of the main plot points in the ride (disappearance of ships and planes) as well as the location have deep ties with the same theme that Sea World tries to portray in all it's rides. Going back to the Dr. Who example, even with an aquatic antagonist, it wouldn't work as the franchise doesn't have these deep ties back to the aquatic theme for it to work in an park like Sea World. 

I may be the only one here that feels that way, but honestly that doesn't bug me. This is just my opinion on why Bermuda got away with some more absurd elements compared to concept of a Dr. Who ride being brought to Sea World.

Is there any way I can answer this question without using the words B&M, Looping, Inverted, Twisted, Stand Up, Flying, Floorless, Wingrider, Hyper or Giga?

Seriously though, something like Manta at Sea World San Diego (not Orlando) couldn't be too far fetched.

Perhaps it's too similar to Jet Rescue, but you could spice it up (and cut costs) by having the ride shorter (without the second launch) and with inversions, a bit of a replacement for Sea Viper's loop and corkscrews.

This isn't a foreign concept for Mack Rides either - checking out Projekt Helix - https://youtu.be/jDlMGY8nDPI?t=31 - This ride has two launches, 7 inversions, and a really unique layout. They're very likely to be able to accomodate for SW's price and space restrictions while still making a ride that packs a punch. Plus with previous experience building Storm, surely they would be good business candidates for another coaster addition.

I don't think having two similar rides in one park is a bad thing either. Coasters with big brothers at the same park can be found all over the world. It gives people something to step up to.

Another fitting coaster option would be a Euro Fighter, which is a cheaper option depending on what layout you want. Something like Abyss would set them back $15 million (I'd assume building at Sea World would cost a bit more).

Putting my own personal love for coasters aside, Sea World does have a lack of a family dark ride, and a flat ride. Either of those would be appropriate. If they can do something with a good themed experience, I will be happy nonetheless.

The Bermuda triangle ride made me so obsessed with the story and theories behind Bermuda triangle in real life. 

Speaking of coasters can someone tell me what the name of the rollercoaster on the other side of the park was? Near where the polar bears are now. I've been trying to think of it and for the life of me I can't

The Bermuda triangle ride made me so obsessed with the story and theories behind Bermuda triangle in real life. 

Speaking of coasters can someone tell me what the name of the rollercoaster on the other side of the park was? Near where the polar bears are now. I've been trying to think of it and for the life of me I can't

Thrillseeker?

Same here. One of my favourite myths and legends of all time.

As for the coaster, I believe you're thinking of the Wild Wave / Thrillseeker. It was a Galaxi model and was located I believe where Ray Reef is currently. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ds7olo4e8000k7f0000041.thumb.jpg.cefc718

Thrillseeker. It has now been trailerised and is Australia's largest mobile coaster called the Taipan.

Now getting back to B&M's.......

I never got to ride Thrillseeker, but I do remember it being at the park, and remember it being on the now Ray reef site. Was the ride good? Was it popular? And why was it removed from the park?

Ride the travelling coaster at any major show. Same model I believe. To answer your questions though - no it wasn't good. It was semi popular. Not sure why it was removed but the thing didn't make very pleasant noises. I remember the first turn out of the station onto the lift made a hideous and loud screech for some reason.