Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

Break Down most likely IMO. I might be wrong but I'm not aware on any cap on Q4U/RideExpress numbers for rides, so I can't see why that'd be. (Hell, one day I was there the line was longer at the Q4U booth than some of the rides and they still showed as availiable)

Edited by nitromefans

Just a small trip report from my day at Dreamworld last week :)

I was very very happy with the day and pleasantly surprised with the length of the Queues given it was Peak Period. The staff were exceptionally helpful and very pleasant, even towards the end of the day when some had been working the same ride for almost 12 hours! Here are a few observations.

First, something that makes a day at Dreamworld better than at Movie World is they have so many really great sponge attractions. The Claw, Wipeout and Pandamonium move Queues along very quickly and are really great rides to break up your day, and their general proximity to the other sections of the park give you a great opportunity to physically and mentally "reset", so to speak. It also helped keep the Queues of the Coasters relatively short (the longest was BuzzSaw at the beginning of the Day whicb was probably 30 minutes).

Perhaps it was just the fact that I am not particularly co-ordinated and I am inexperienced with the ride, but I think TailSpin was a massive waste of money. The Queue was the longest of any flat ride and very very few people were able to spin the planes. In the 6 circuits that went before me, only 1 man was able to and most people left the ride deflated and annoyed. Perhaps they should have a clear demnostration video or somehow make them easier to spin? 

My final comment is that the lack of capacity on Dreamworld's coasters/big rides is very noticable. The Giant Drop, Tower of Terror II, Buzzsaw and HWSW had very short queues but they moved insanely slowly. Buzzsaw in particular seemed to take forever to load and seemed to take about 6 minutes for one ride. I am not sure if it is an efficiency issue or just the reality of small capacity rides, but I was disappointed with this aspect. Luckily the queues weren't long enough for it to be a major issue.

Overall, a great day at a park which has improved a lot IMO :)

P.S. Just a query that maybe an employee of the Park or someone who knows in more detail might be able to answer: Often me and my friend would ask the ride operator to wait to go in the Front of the ride, to which they always said yes. On 3 different rides (and 3 different operators), after waiting to ride to go in the front, some Ride Express users arrived. One operator let them on first and asked us to wait what ended up being 4 rides as more Ride Express people arrived every time. Another asked the Ride Express people if we could sit in the front to which they said yes, and as a result let us on first. The final operator let us two go through first, them put the ride express people on, and then put the other main queue riders on. Is there an official policy for this or is it just a "play it by ear" situation for ride ops?

Regarding TailSpin. I personally think its a really good addition to the park, and despite being difficult to operate, i still find it fun. And I think the detail in the themeing is pretty good. But I do agree that there should be a video playing in the queue line showing the best way to control it. Or even just a simple sign explaining. That might give people, particularly kids, a better chance at spinning it. 

On 14 January 2016 at 05:53, AlexB said:

If Dreamworld were to look at the Vegas zipline as proof the concept would work - they'd be set up to fail.

But you're right - the park would do it's research and would at least be reasonably satisfied it was viable before installing... I'm sure there are some - what other parks have ziplines through fairly plain bush type settings?

Vegas zip line video.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156285173370112&id=305901075111

Sentosa in Singapore also has a massive zip line that flies over the jungle.

52 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Dreamworlds maintenance schedule for the year if anyone's interested.

https://www.dreamworld.com.au/day-planner/getting-here#MaintenanceComponent

already said this on the "Off Topic" topic 

Edited by The_Ninja_59

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

Heading to DW tomorrow, what sort of crowds should I expect?

I went today this what the queue lines were like.. TOT2 was around 25 mins today, HWSW was walk on at times, didn't check on the other rides today, however I did get a few goes on Kevil Hill before it closes down until the next holidays.

11 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

I went today this what the queue lines were like.. TOT2 was around 25 mins today, HWSW was walk on at times, didn't check on the other rides today, however I did get a few goes on Kevil Hill before it closes down until the next holidays.

Okay, that doesn't sound too bad. Hopefully the overcast weather might turn a few people off, or people might be saving until Straya-day.

The park was busy, but not extremely busy. Most flat rides were a 15-20min wait, with the rollercoasters all being 40-50 minutes. Didn't see how long the log and rapids rides were.

A few things I have to say:

I miss when Buzzsaw was really smooth, it really has gotten very rough and it gave me a bit of a headache today. The queue on this was 45 minutes at the very start of the day, due to the relatively large number of ride express users that decided to come here first. Fortunately, the staff were only letting one group of ride express users through at a time, is this a park-wide rule or just something that staff member was doing? Anyways, that worked fine until one ride express guy decided to complain, saying that he was allocated a slot at 10:45, and wasn't on the ride at that time. The time at that point was only one or two minutes after 10:45. Sigh. Some people just have no patience and don't understand how the system works. The staff member decided to applease him by letting through all the ride express users on that cycle, meaning 3/4 of the train was already taken. Luckily I was at the front of the line and was one of the two non-express groups to get on that cycle.

Zombie Evilution had 3 staff members on duty, so the queues were cycling really fast making it a really short wait. Unfortunately, eventually that meant only two staff members were needed, so the third staff member decided to stay in the arena as an extra player. Unfortunately, he still used the yellow staff lights, making him invincible and able to shoot whoever he liked. Kinda annoying because he was the main source of shots hitting me, but also added an extra challenge so looking back on it, it was pretty good that he was there, adding a new element to the game. He ended up racking up more points than the winning team.
Shoutout goes to one of the staff members, for actually being enthusiastic about everything and not being 1) a control freak that just shouts at you non-stop or 2) an obviously bored staff member who says what they need to say and then not much more.

3 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Fortunately, the staff were only letting one group of ride express users through at a time, is this a park-wide rule or just something that staff member was doing?

I'd assume it's just that one staff member; as all of the times I've been there (for every ride); Ride Express is usually all let on at once.

3 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Unfortunately, he still used the yellow staff lights, making him invincible and able to shoot whoever he liked.

Sorry to say; but they aren't invincible; you just have to hit the targets ;) (Or they're conveniently never using this invincibility when I visit; take your pick)

@Santa07 I hope you had good time yesterday, shocked to hear that all the coasters were over 50+ today, as I mentioned earlier, the roller coasters queue lines yesterday were not that long at all,

as for  Zombie, as I'm concerned there's no invincible cheat, when I was playing yesterday one of the commanders moved his vest sideways to avoid getting shot, I have done this technique before and have managed to score 3500 + by doing this, just a tip by one of experts of the game ;) what is your highest score in the game? mine is 5800 using the gun Nitro, :) 

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

45 minutes, dammit that's unheard of for Cyclone. 

should have seen the queue lines were like on the 29th of December, it was nearly 2 hours, guess Dreamworld's false advertisement saying it was a new ride paid off, 

speaking of advertisement, is it just me that none of rides that have opened in the last four years now have hardly had any ads on TV or over the radio?

JL, Storm, Driving School, ABC Kids World, Creatures Of The Deep, Nickeldeon Land and even the new MotorSport Experince have hardly had advertisement when they open, surely VRTP and Adrent wants people to come over to their theme parks right?  

Oh and if anyone wants proof that DW is marketing HWSW as a new ride, you're welcome image.thumb.jpeg.2e7405e18b9760f1732bd73

Edited by The_Ninja_59

56 minutes ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

@Santa07

should have seen the queue lines were like on the 29th of December, it was nearly 2 hours, guess Dreamworld's false advertisement saying it was a new ride paid off. 

Surely the GP wouldn't be that stupid to recognise that HWSW is Cyclone. It's just the fact that the ride is more bearable.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

We follow the parks very closely. We pay attention to every sneeze and sign. Of course we know HWSW and Cyclone are the same ride. 

But when Joe public reads in the paper that dreamworld has an all new roller coaster called "HWSW" he's just going to take it at that value, and take the family to the park.

Of course, once they realise they are the same, they're already in the park, so they'll enjoy their day, and probably won't complain either.... therefore - the marketing works.

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016