Dreamworld reopening - the summer season

wipeout94

On 03/12/2016 at 7:56 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Yes, they are attractions - they do 'attract' people but I always thought in the theme park industry that rides & attractions are considered separate with 'attractions' being everything but rides & shops so in that sense, 'attractions' to me in a theme park means shows, exhibits, arcades, walk-throughs, roaming characters etc.

Thanks for that overanalysis.

Realistically - this:

22 hours ago, Gazza said:

I think members of the public would use "rides" and "attractions" interchangeably.

Even parks use that terminology to include rides. When I worked at Wonderland, ride operators were part of the 'attractions' department.

If you google 'dreamworld attractions' the first thing google displays is 'Dreamworld Rides' with a list and image of every one of them.

The only thing you've got in your favour is that dreamworld's website does display 'rides' and 'attractions' separately on their navigation bar, but if you click through 'attractions' into, for example - Shrek's Faire Faire Away - you are presented with a list of rides.

The general public will regard 'attractions' as including 'rides' and it doesn't matter what you say, nothing will change that. Therefore - endgame, the park should be explicit when they say what will be open or closed to avoid further conflict and disappointment from those guests who have shown loyalty to the park by returning on opening weekend.

Fortunately, transport to the park is offered in both directions, not just one way, so they'll at least be able to leave.

Edited by AlexB

The wording is very misleading to say the least, especially the last line here:

"The Dreamworld attractions re-opening from 10 December include all WhiteWater World slides and pools along with the park’s wildlife areas, entertainment and family attractions in DreamWorks Experience, Wiggles World, ABC KIDS WORLD and the Motorsports Experience.

Other rides will progressively open at Dreamworld as they are signed off by the safety review process."

By stating that "other rides" will open progressively would indicate that at least one "ride" in Dreamworld will be open on the day, which according to the list is not true. The statement should;d have read "Dreamworld's rides will progressively open..."

38 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

*snip*
entertainment and family attractions in DreamWorks Experience, Wiggles World, ABC KIDS WORLD and the Motorsports Experience.

Other rides will progressively open at Dreamworld as they are signed off by the safety review process."

By stating that "other rides" will open progressively would indicate that at least one "ride" in Dreamworld will be open on the day, which according to the list is not true. The statement should;d have read "Dreamworld's rides will progressively open..."

So things like the Big Red Car Ride, Big Red Boat, Rosey Tea Cups, Giggle and Hoot Bounce wont be open?  If they are then the terminology "other rides" is still correct is it not?

Does it really matter in the end? 

Yes, sure it could/should be worded better, but at the end of the day, instead of debating the semantics of the announcement, shouldn't a bunch of theme park enthusiasts just be happy the park is finally open again and make the effort to visit on opening weekend to show their support for all the workers, animals and the park overall? 

1 hour ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

So things like the Big Red Car Ride, Big Red Boat, Rosey Tea Cups, Giggle and Hoot Bounce wont be open?  If they are then the terminology "other rides" is still correct is it not?

The Big Red Car, Teacups and Giggle & Hoot Bounce are not listed as being open on Saturday - only the ABC World area itself, including the maze and ship. 

27 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Does it really matter in the end? 

Yes, sure it could/should be worded better, but at the end of the day, instead of debating the semantics of the announcement, shouldn't a bunch of theme park enthusiasts just be happy the park is finally open again and make the effort to visit on opening weekend to show their support for all the workers, animals and the park overall? 

No we shouldn't. We should always expect and demand more as it keeps them on their toes. Our continued patronage despite their poor efforts with new rides over the years has given them a complacent attitude, they need to step things up. ESPECIALLY now.

1 minute ago, rac2703 said:

I just think they should be more careful as not to draw anymore negative attention to themselves, especially knowing the media will be all over this reopening day. 

The news have all but moved on from the D/W tragedy. It was massive news for about a week and then quickly died out when other things happened like that bus driver getting lit on fire in Brisbane. The funerals of the victims were like the 6th, 7th stories of the night when they happened. D/W re-opening will be a story but i think the media is bored of them at this stage. 

Trust me though, if someone so much as breaks a toe nail on a ride it'll be "Death Park strikes again!"

The media are never bored of any storey, providing they can get any information, right or wrong about it. Everytime a statement has been made by the CEO or Ardient Lesiure, the media have covered it, and have at times been pushing for answers which are obvious they wouldn't respond to as of yet, or don't have an answer for because they themselves don't know. I saw one reporter ask if the park was safe. I just think that was a stupid question, because of course it is, otherwise they wouldn't reopen. And they are taking all the procortions they can to ensure the safety of all rides. The incident that occurred could never have been predicted, and if there were any known issues with the ride they would've closed it, and inspected it further. 

1 hour ago, SunshineTom said:

No we shouldn't. We should always expect and demand more as it keeps them on their toes. Our continued patronage despite their poor efforts with new rides over the years has given them a complacent attitude, they need to step things up. ESPECIALLY now.

DW has done a great job in the past couple of years in revitalising the park. Whilst there have been no signature rides installed, the overall park itself and it's offerings are greatly improved 

11 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

DW has done a great job in the past couple of years in revitalising the park. Whilst there have been no signature rides installed, the overall park itself and it's offerings are greatly improved 

I simply don't agree. From a thrill seekers point of view their new rides and attractions haven't geared toward me. Possibly families and young kids/teens but the park is in desperate need of a thrilling full length coaster.

So you're disagreeing with a very pertinent and relevant (not to mention accurate) point, simply on the basis that YOUR needs haven't been specifically catered to?

I hate to break it to you, but you are not the parks only demographic. The park cannot survive on thrill rides alone, lest they alienate kids, families, tourists who don't count credits etc. We've seen the park install loads of higher thrill attractions, and the past couple of years have seen them spend time and money on things that we (and many members of the general public) have chipped them for - dilapidated, poorly maintained buildings and facilities, cheap, poor quality food offerings, and cheap crappy souvenirs, products and experiences.

When a park continues to install high thrill rides, and can't even keep their toilets in a usable state, it's time to revisit your priorities.

24 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

I simply don't agree. From a thrill seekers point of view their new rides and attractions haven't geared toward me. Possibly families and young kids/teens but the park is in desperate need of a thrilling full length coaster.

But thrill seekers probably don't make up the majority of park guests. DW is much more geared towards families and people looking for a good day out. MW on the other hand is significantly more geared towards thrill seekers, as most of their recent attractions will attest. 

45 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

I could reply to that, but @AlexB already did it for me... 

unfortunately for you, it's Dreamworld, not SunshineTom World...

@Brad2912If it was we would have dinosaurs roaming free and guest bathing in the water features.

DW Facebook replied to a question.

(Hey Joshua! I haven't had confirmation on what exactly will be operating in Dreamworld but we'll have updates to share this week so stay tuned).

In short "stayed tuned")

Edited by YLFATEEKS

On 04/12/2016 at 10:18 AM, Gazza said:

I think members of the public would use "rides" and "attractions" interchangeably.

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Thanks for that overanalysis.

Does anyone actually read what I write or just assume everything is 'over analysis'? Firstly, it wasn't an 'analysis' - it was a point of view I've had for over a decade. Secondly, I did post this:

On 03/12/2016 at 6:20 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Regarding the Dreamworks Experience, they've only ever said 'attractions' - never rides but it's fair to assume the general public would think that includes rides.

@AlexB, I know theme parks have 'attraction departments' which include rides - I only meant the separation of 'rides' & 'attractions' in reference to marketing like the website & media releases.

8 hours ago, rac2703 said:

By stating that "other rides" will open progressively would indicate that at least one "ride" in Dreamworld will be open on the day, which according to the list is not true.

If you count Whitewater World's slides as rides, then yes it is true.

50 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Does anyone actually read what I write or just assume everything is 'over analysis'?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly read everything you write. As I've said before, you do make some very interesting points sometimes... but the 'overanalysis' tag is quickly starting to stick.

The Ockham's Razor reference is quite apt - you do tend to ignore the obvious, most likely option, and instead go for the elaborate, the fanciful, the far fetched, simply because its possible.

Ok, so you acknowledged what most people would think that it includes rides. That was pretty much everyone else's point. Sure on technicality rides and attractions in a park can be and are separated, the fact is the issue was taken with the ambiguous potentially misleading statement made by the park.

So you could have just said - 'yeah, the park would probably separate rides and attractions, but for the public, thats ambiguous and they probably could have worded it better'

I was posting in response to people on this forum - not the general public - thinking Dreamworks Experience's rides were going to be operating.

I wouldn't have bothered responding to the issue of DW making an ambiguous statement as I already agreed with most people on here that the general public would think DW's statement implied the Dreamworks Experience rides would be operating.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

12 hours ago, rac2703 said:

who the hell cares.jpg

• Richard changed the title to Dreamworld reopening - the summer season
  • Gazza locked this topic