Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

SHOOKETH

Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

• Yes, potentially.
    • Maybe, hard to say
    • No, not really

My 2c is it will make a small difference but not a devastating difference. The business they will lose is the tourist that only has a short amount of time to visit all the parks and has to sacrifice one. However by MW having the hyper it should increase tourism to the area anyway.

I know each of the 3 times i've been to the GC i've done all the theme parks. Really the only ones i would skip now are Sea World and Wet n Wild.

Playing arm chair CEO / Marketing Dude i would think the following...

I'm on the too soon band wagon for Dream World to go out and build something massive and go all in your face with the marketing something like that would deserved. I think they need to be spending this time removing TRRR, building the memorial they've spoken about and planning. Get everything behind them, and then start with a clean slate. Otherwise they will just keep dredging it up again every time they do something with the area and keep tainting their image and bringing it back up in peoples minds. Out of sight = out of mind.

Then come the new year - 2018 - they need to start with a bang and then keep it rolling - Maybe a massive new years party, followed by a new years day party. Regular announcements about new things and changes. Doesn't have to be expensive new rides, hold a new event - funny hat day, dress like a wiggle day, hell hold an eating competition! Good clean fun style events. Throw in some prizes - free return entries / season passes / discounted F & B / Merch etc.

These will do two things - bring back the existing pass holders and encourage them to spend more time in the park, which will make for a better atmosphere all round and 2) draw in the kids, and the parents and hopefully just make people happy all round. As an added bonus the winners of the free return entries / season passes they will hopefully return again.

Come April they'll have the Commonwealth Games in town - so big time for tourism. They should have some related activities scheduled for that period - IE mini commonwealth games events. These things will not only continue the good clean fun, but also soak up the crowd a bit.

Then in the lead up to the end of the year start an adventure world style campaign like they did for Abyss. Gorilla style marketing, subtle hints and challenges to solve a riddle and get the story line etc. Basically do the complete opposite of Movie World.

3 hours ago, SHOOKETH said:

Did you really just compare Disneyland to Dreamworld? Disneyland has several annual blockbuster films (Pirates, Star Wars, Pixar, etc etc list goes on and on) which propel it's attendance every year not to mention the best back catalogue of any film company geared towards children. Yes, nostalgia works for Disneyland because of that back catalogue of characters and films they get to work with but Disneyland also continues to thrive because of their use of CURRENT Disney-films. Dreamworld has none of that to fall back on. Nostalgia will not work for them, I'm absolutely sorry to say. They need to keep with the times or they will be left behind - just like Wonderland was. 

Disney didn't always own the rights to those blockbuster films. There was a time when Disney was down on its luck making no budget Kurt Russell films and investing very little in Disneyland. Weirdly enough, they were charging next to nothing to get in, too. 

3 hours ago, SHOOKETH said:

Did you really just compare Disneyland to Dreamworld? Disneyland has several annual blockbuster films (Pirates, Star Wars, Pixar, etc etc list goes on and on) which propel it's attendance every year not to mention the best back catalogue of any film company geared towards children. Yes, nostalgia works for Disneyland because of that back catalogue of characters and films they get to work with but Disneyland also continues to thrive because of their use of CURRENT Disney-films. Dreamworld has none of that to fall back on. Nostalgia will not work for them, I'm absolutely sorry to say. They need to keep with the times or they will be left behind - just like Wonderland was. 

I sure as hell didn't go to Disney for the current film tie-ins. I went because it's a family friendly, magical and historic theme park. Getting a photo with Mickey, riding the train, wearing the mouse ears un-ironically, seeing the Dumbo ride, Carousel and walking through the Castle.

Then came the next reason: rides. Disney Parks don't thrive because of current films. It helps, but it's only a fraction of the attraction.

The magic of Disneyland for me reminded me of the magic I felt as a child visiting Dreamworld in the late 80s and early 90s. The fountain, main street, singing quartet, paddle steamer and bushranger show, Village Green and the Jamboree show. I now understand the leaked email and subsequent release on their focus of an experience of visiting Dreamworld. I long to see Gold Rush and Blue Lagoon turned into an RMC and well-themed Australiana area. I do, I want signature rides, but that's only ever been a small part of the magic Dreamworld gave me as a kid and teenager (in the way of Thunderbolt and Eureka).

It's a bold step to take the park on this 'nostalgia' and 'memorable experience' route, to sever the cord on the thrills arms race against VRTP, and I guess history will only tell if it's the best move.

30 minutes ago, elemist said:

hen in the lead up to the end of the year start an adventure world style campaign like they did for Abyss. Gorilla style marketing, subtle hints and challenges to solve a riddle and get the story line etc. Basically do the complete opposite of Movie World.

An ARG would send this site nuts. :D

Edited by Glubbo

6 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Most B&M hypers look boring and repetitive.

Have you been on one? I haven't but wouldn't judge one until I had. The fact that two of them are in the top 10 steel coasters in the Golden Ticket awards (Nitro and Apollo's Chariot) consistently as well as highly ranked in the Mitch Hawker steel poll means there are more to them than looks.

11 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Before I actually rode one I would have agreed with you but after having been on quite a few now I can say they are anything but boring or repetitive. They have loads of airtime and speed. Overall I would actually rank them quite high on my list of favourite coasters, typically above other coasters with loads of inversions or "one trick ponies"

Back on topic I think that Dreamworld will need to do something but agree that at the moment they need to focus on removing the TRRR. While it would be nice to see something big take over the place my personal opinion would be for Dreamworld to  reopen the area with a few smaller family/thrill attractions (Think a couple of Funtime rides) and refurb Eureka. Then once that has opened begin teasing towards a new larger attraction, what I don't really know but even if it is just a decent woodie that would be awesome.

So an indicative timeline for the Goldrush Area could be:

12 Months: Removal of TRRR

18 Months: Reopen area with a few smaller attractions/refurb of Eureka

24-36 Months: Build a new big attraction

14 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

They look like that on Youtube, so I don't blame you; but I assume you have yet to ride one, as they are great rides when you ride them in real life. Plenty of airtime and speed on them. The videos of them uploaded to Youtube do not do the actual coasters justice, even the ones at 60 fps.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Honestly I think Dreamworld can no longer try to complete with movieworld in the thrills market especially after DC rivals has been announced. if they truely are to be competitive with the village parks and to bring people back they now need to go in a difrent direction focus on the family market and go back to their Disney inspired roots that the park was founded upon so many people comment on how good the park was back in the day on social media and they need to listen to this feedback Dreamworld was once a unique immersive experience as no other park had that disney like feel ,immersive theming and entertainment they had the media used to call it "Australias answer to Disneyland" 

Ive ridden both manufacturers hypers, often within a day of each other.

The B&M ones kind of cruise over the top of the hills without much lifting. It's there but feels muted.

Obviously with the Intamin ones its much stronger and more exciting. You would know the sensation already if you have been on Superman at MW.

I think Mack and Intamin do the twisty stuff better.

I love B&Ms, but their hypers are not their best product line, though they are getting better, see Fury 325.

Definately Dreamworld will see the ongoing downturn in crowds over the foreseeable future due to a combination of TRRR, DC Rivals and the apparent current state of the park. They should definitely focus their efforts on getting the park looking as tip top as it can and bring back that family charm and add a few more family attractions in the next 2-3 years. I'm of the opinion that the current owners are not the ones to take Dreamworld forward and should step aside to let someone do so. However I fear that any potential new owners could see the Dreamworld site as a piece of real estate only. Interesting times ahead for Dreamworld.

I really hope that Dreamworld's attendance doesn't drop but I do worry about it with this massive investment in Movie World that VRTP is making. I think for a lot of the ride lovers the TOT and Giant Drop are what they go to Dreamworld for. I think that the new DC Rivals Hypercoaster will take the hype (no pun intended 😉) out of going and experiencing Dreamworld's massive rides. However, I do think Dreamworld appeals more to families with much more variety for families and I think Dreamworld need to look at investing in making the park even more appealing to families and making it more family friendly, it's their strongest feature at this point in my opinion. 

14 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

I've actually  been on 2 B&Ms

Been to SFMM and only rode 2 B&Ms? Tatsu, great; Batman and Riddlers, good; Scream, average (and oddly rough).

Would you like to see something like Fury 325 here @Gazza in response to the DC Hypercoaster or would you think the park would be better off instead of beating them for height they go with the general consensus here of more inversions? We have a Hypercoaster under construction so a proper Giga Coaster is the next logical move for something non-inverting and Tower of Terror is proof height shouldn't really be an issue for the park.

I think building basically the same ride but a bit taller or a bit faster or a bit whatever is the completely wrong move. 

Go go with a totally different concept. I say RMC all the way as I keep saying. Even if it's all steel supports and not timber. 

If money was no object I'd go with a mobius racer to give it a real point of difference. 

• 1 month later...