The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

3 hours ago, rappa said:

So would you sooner have nice gardens, a waterfall and a completely un-themed dull coaster?

Or modest landscaping and a kick ass coaster with themed station? 
That’s the question. 

And nobody called anyone here a moron FYI so we can leave the “Im so offended” style nonsense at the door. 

How do you know the coaster was going to be un-themed the concept art isn't clear in that department, but yes, to answer your question I'd prefer an awesome themed area over a kick ass coaster.

But them again, I like thrill rides, but I'm not a thrill seeker, so that may be a contributing factor in opinion here. 

The moron part of this has already been dealt with, and I admitted I misunderstood, and I'm offended, I'm offended if I was called that. Like it or not, deal with it. Cause I ain't leaving that at the door.

3 hours ago, joz said:

Also fwiw, pretty much everyone here is on the spectrum. The bad news about that is that doesn't make you special here, you cant really play the autism card. The good news though is it doesn't make you special here. You can get on with your life, without using it to define yourself, and you don't need to and nor should not harm yourself.

Also FWIW, Disney isn't world class. Disney is a whole other level above world class. Disney is it's whole own category. There's world class, then there's Disney standard. Invoking Disney is something even our parks are generally smart enough not to do. Disney wouldn't build a wooden roller coaster where the point of the ride is that it's a roller coaster.

With regards to your last paragraph, I agree 100%, I've never thought of about that way.

Edited by Slick
Edited it as it fell out of community guidelines.

I think Ashley's opinion on this is totally legitimate, and many many people have expressed a similar-ish opinion about this 'precinct' in the past on the forums, so not sure why he's copping it. Having said that, we most definitely can't be comparing to Disney standards when they get, what, 40 million visitors per year or something? But we know VRTP did used to create new attractions of an extremely high standard with extensive thematic elements. They even had an attraction like that in Sea World itself, with the former Lassiter's then Bermuda. But from the sounds of it, the inside of Leviathan's station is promising and a welcome reversal from the nothing stations of GL and Rivals

• Like 3

FWIW I wasnt saying someone’s opinion of wanting the concept art and not what’s delivered is invalid. 
I was merely saying you have to go all in. So you can’t say I want the picture and am unhappy they didn’t build exactly that. But then also want the themed ride experience and kiss ass coaster layout, because the concept art shows un unthemed coaster with a lackluster layout. Thats all. 

I'll back what others are saying - is high-end theming these days really a couple of rock waterfalls and a No-Limits generic station? Because that's not Disney-level theming or world-class by any stretch. If you were to take concept art that literally, you'd then assume that everyone on the star flyer is going to get a 5m tall enema every time the ride comes into the station.

Concept art is generally always a bit ambitious, take the Skyneedle Apartment concept art in South Brisbane:

c407305b88b88cbe71ddfa33fd1e2403-2.thumb.jpeg.192f097988b31e6e29b670a7d7cc0ed9.jpeg

Ambitious, iconic, stunning, really quite amazing.

6356350_kiK79f9xrDIwCG_gk1TpD68ICPAqTOaftx5NFV1aJ48.thumb.jpg.7e7d952463b109a842be1db1bfc020e3.jpg

But in reality, it's just another apartment block.

Point is, especially with the pandemic, things have changed. Vortex sucks, and I think even Village will admit that, and it looks like they've learnt from that and are now doing some really interesting stuff that's worthy of attention. It won't be Disney-level quality (and nor was it ever intended to be), but I reckon it'll be really solid.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Slick said:

I'll back what others are saying - is high-end theming these days really a couple of rock waterfalls and a No-Limits generic station? Because that's not Disney-level theming or world-class by any stretch. If you were to take concept art that literally, you'd then assume that everyone on the star flyer is going to get a 5m tall enema every time the ride comes into the station.

Concept art is generally always a bit ambitious, take the Skyneedle Apartment concept art in South Brisbane:

c407305b88b88cbe71ddfa33fd1e2403-2.thumb.jpeg.192f097988b31e6e29b670a7d7cc0ed9.jpeg

Ambitious, iconic, stunning, really quite amazing.

6356350_kiK79f9xrDIwCG_gk1TpD68ICPAqTOaftx5NFV1aJ48.thumb.jpg.7e7d952463b109a842be1db1bfc020e3.jpg

But in reality, it's just another apartment block.

Point is, especially with the pandemic, things have changed. Vortex sucks, and I think even Village will admit that, and it looks like they've learnt from that and are now doing some really interesting stuff that's worthy of attention. It won't be Disney-level quality (and nor was it ever intended to be), but I reckon it'll be really solid.

Hmm, fair point, I rest my case.

I think concept art is a loose loose situation for theme/amusement parks. Luna parks concept art was the most accurate I've seen in Australia in recent times. Yet everyone complained how simple the themeing was and the majority of people on the forums felt the theming was underwhelming. 

The only difference that I really noticed was the Luna land sign. 

201124-1-Luna_Park_Sydney_to.thumb.jpg.93536f7f888b8d4cc280ada8e229b6f4.jpg

I'm more in the camp of under promise and over deliver. Village theme parks have made a habit of over promising and under delivering. I was really disappointed with Scooby-Doo, I was there opening day (next generation) waited most the day for it to open. 

To give village credit the new additions to wnw were pretty similar to the concept art. I feel they delivered what they promised. 

In regards to Leviathan and the rest of Atlantis I'm on the skeptical side but holding my judgement until it's complete and I have experienced the new rides. I know it won't be the best wooden roller coaster in the world as stated by the COO of VRTP. But would be happy to be proven wrong. 

Regardless of what it turns out to be the layout looks sick and I'm excited to ride a wooden coaster again in Australia. 

4 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

We know VRTP did used to create new attractions of an extremely high standard with extensive thematic elements. They even had an attraction like that in Sea World itself, with the former Lassiter's then Bermuda. But from the sounds of it, the inside of Leviathan's station is promising and a welcome reversal from the nothing stations of GL and Rivals

Isn’t it true that Disney Imagineers once rode Lassiter’s Lost Mine and were blown away with how good it was (especially for the price of construction)? Lassiter’s was before my time, but Bermuda truly was “world class” (along with many of the “classic” VRTP attractions such as LTRR and WWF). Wish VRTP were still regularly building fully immersive attractions with great storytelling like those today. Still have my fingers crossed they’ll return to form for WOO and can still pull out some kind of magic for Atlantis. 

• Like 2

The only thing i’m worrying about is the smoothness of the coaster. GG’s and some GCI’s tend to get rough after a while (or upon opening like mineblower) and with it sitting in the sun for this long i hope that’s not the case. If we waited 2years extra for a ride that jackhammers you the entire time and an area that’s under-delivered in the theming department it really won’t be a good look.

Im not into a back reconstruction (hello Bush Beast) but personally a bit less than silky smooth makes a wooden coaster even more exciting for me. 
The RMC stuff is amazing, and its super smooth, but you don’t feel like you might die, which I enjoy. 

I have a feeling we might just actually have a sneaky kick ass surprise of a real winner coaster here that is miles from the mild family attraction we were/are expecting. Ive heard some rumors that some international industry peeps expect this to get real attention. 

• Like 1

I'd say a good half of this thread probably haven't ridden a wooden coaster. Another third have done BB (by all accounts on the rough end of the spectrum), and the rest have done more. Woodies are naturally rough, that's part and parcel of them, but it adds to the fun.

I think you have to come to expect any coaster in Australia will have a little rattle at least, because they aren't designed for our climate which is far warmer than Europe or America where most of these rides get built.

Leviathan will be a more than sufficient ride that replaces Corkscrew's role in the lineup (albeit a little late). Based on nl2 recreations and testing footage it maintains its speed quite well and flies through that layout. I think we might have a new "best coaster in the southern hemisphere" contender with this one + it looks like Village has improved its presentation standards beyond the minimal crap that was standard for years. Vortex/Rivals didn't have rockwork, statues & well presented stations beyond an open air shed.

Fwiw, that concept artwork is nearly 4 years old, so it's a bit unfair to judge presentation of it now based on that artwork. Who remembers when Steel Taipan's rendering had some very good landscaping?

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 3

There's good woodies (Phoenix or Ghost Ride would be my all time favorite) and then there's bad woodies. Wildcat was bad. Unenjoyable.

Having said that no one knows what the impact on ride is because of a structure sitting there for so long, mostly unridden. 

It would have to be really good to take over the best coaster in southern hemisphere .. when rivals is so damn good.

Its very subjective. Before its major retracting (years ago now) people were slamming Ghostrider as a rough POS. I thought it was properly mental in a good way. The retracking made it more palatable for many whilst still having some ‘jesus christ!’ value left in it. 

I recon this might end up being my favourite Gold Coast coaster. But again that’s very subjective (fyi my fav at present is Superman). 

6 hours ago, rappa said:

I recon this might end up being my favourite Gold Coast coaster. But again that’s very subjective (fyi my fav at present is Superman). 

I've personally never ridden a woodie, so I'm keeping quiet on that discussion. I love Superman, but its just too short for my liking. I wish it had another element or 2, which is why Rivals takes it for me.

without being on  ST at DW yet, GL takes #3 with JR #4, and I know many people hate GL but what ever.

Haven’t ridden a woodie but from what i’ve heard, wooden coasters are meant to be a bit rough it gives it character, but Jackhammering is what i’m worried about, which is what i’ve heard can absolutely ruin a ride such as Mine Blower and Hades 360.

43 minutes ago, Naazon said:

and I know many people hate GL but what ever.

Off topic but i’ve never understood the hate, it’s such a fun coaster which rarely has a line and can lap easily.

• Like 1

Have ridden a handful of woodies (both good and bad) and I think there's good reason to see palpable excitement increasing as we draw closer to opening day. As @Baconjack said, by virtue of their design materials, wooden coasters have a little more "jank" in them that you really feel through the heavy lateral and air time moments. Levi (that's what I'm calling it now) is going to really distinguish itself well and offer a ride experience many Aussies have never had and may never have anywhere else. It's also interesting to note that RCDb originally listed Levi as a "thrill" coaster, but it was upgraded to "extreme"; I assume this was predicated on NL renderings/concept art that project a pretty intense experience. Hold on to your bootstraps, kiddos.

I expect to ride this and ST (still haven't had the chance) when I'm up again in January, and I have fairly high expectations for both (by God, if VRTP don't get into gear and have Levi ready by then.....)

5 hours ago, aaronm said:

Of the handful I’ve ridden, the Gravity Group woodies seem to hold up pretty well - possibly due to the lighter and more nimble Timberliner trains. Providing the park keeps up maintenance Leviathan should still run nicely over time.

Haven't ever been on a Gravity Group woodie, but have done a GCI (Wicker Man) and wonder if the ride experiences are comparable?

On 29/09/2022 at 11:48 PM, rappa said:

The RMC stuff is amazing, and its super smooth, but you don’t feel like you might die, which I enjoy.

You haven't experienced the wave turn or the second zero-G inversion on Zadra. 😎

I think Leviathan will be fun personally. If it's anything like Twister at Gronalund (albeit that's smaller) which I have ridden,  then it'll be a good ride.

I was fortunate enough to get some rides on Ghostrider about a week and a half ago and it's running great. It's rattly in a good, non painful, out of control way.

1 hour ago, Cactus_Matt said:

I'd love for more parks around the country to open more wooden roller coasters.

The thing is, it takes a lot more time to build them than steel, and harder/longer to fix in they ever break down. 

• Like 1

I mean sure, but I don't think Leviathan is typical of how long it takes to build a wooden coaster.

Confession; I've never been on a good modern wooden coaster. Like Blue Streak at Cedar Point and Grand National at Blackpool are easily my best 2, everything else I've ridden was rides in that 10-30year age bracket where it's just rough and braked to the shit and built in the 80s. This is the first modern one I'll have been on, and I'm really curious to knowing what it's like. To get to ride it new is super exciting. Stoaked that it'll be using the timberliner trains too. The questions for me are; how long until you start to notice it age? Is it first 5 years till it goes south? Or are modern ones just good forever now? How smooth are they when they're new? Do Wooden coasters really offer something different if they aren't straight up bashing you in the spleen?

These are all dumb questions, and questions I genuinely don't know the answer to.

25 minutes ago, Ashley said:

When Leviathan opens, and starts to get on in age, do you think VTRP would turn it into an RMC, or would they just demolish it?

I feel like the ride is too compact to be RMC’d, I don’t think it could physically be done. My guess is they would do a GCI refurb like Ghostrider at KBF.

Edited by Rivals

• Gazza locked this topic