The New Atlantis - Construction Updates

I think it looks ok, sure it’s not the immersive theming so far from what we expect from Village, but I’m confident it will be neatly presented. I guess that’s why they went with the NEW Atlantis, so they could define what the new Atlantis is to look like?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, T-bone said:

It's time to use your Imagination Skeet.. oh wait, wrong park...

Currently at best it's abstract theming.

A Vortex is one directional where SW have broken all the rules of the universe.

Not only is it not spinning correctly it's egg-shaped.

vortex.thumb.jpg.7529e1679c3d262b7f61f1b110db4690.jpg

wrong.thumb.JPG.c59f1e4f2ebad5c66bab8c6ba292e6a3.JPG

I'm sure it looked great on paper but I will be viewing the ride from a front on perspective.   Anyway I will leave my final judgement to the end but I do have a bad feeling.🤨

Yes @Gazza I understand what SW was going for.

All SW need to do now is place a few inflatable tube guys on top of the Vortex walls and we're ready to go.

tumblr_inline_p7hf5unOIW1sjnmot_540.gif.00658c3833016d9c3b9853dc661bb689.gif

Edited by Skeeta

3 hours ago, Taj O'Neill said:

june/july is the time when i think the parks will be open again because we are getting less and less cases everyday but there probably will be temperature checks before entering the park that will probably happen with all the parks

I’ll bet you a box full of invisible $100 notes that the Parks won’t be open anytime during stage 2 or 3 unless the government completely reworks its recovery roadmap and we don’t have a winter increase in cases 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Naazon said:

I assume 1 big solid slab because its a sand based ground yeah?

Actually that is just how Gravity Group designs most of their coasters with one huge slab of concrete. Why this is the case I couldn’t tell you exactly but you can see this with all their other coasters. My guess is it is just easier to do it with one slab as a wooden coaster needs way more footings in the ground than a steel coaster. None of this are my photos I got them all from RCDB. For example here is a pic of Mine Blower at Fun Spot and Oscar’s Wacky Taxi from Sesame Places’ construction both by the same manufacturer.

C6ADA6C9-3E0E-4F3C-8B62-36CFA4BF481F.thumb.jpeg.3ad3f459a6261c60f8a9c49dc5d3550d.jpegC04927E3-89AC-464D-9C2B-3994245EC441.thumb.jpeg.c130202d4dbd3fdc0eaafa3059b0c284.jpeg

I also included Kentucky flyer from Kentucky kingdom to show the final product.

86BEA148-E94B-442A-B29C-AE91C419E45A.thumb.jpeg.7ab346ab2a0684bd9aaf18c3c6120ecd.jpeg

Edited by Mc coaster
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Mc coaster said:

My guess is it is just easier to do it with one slab as a wooden coaster needs way more footings in the ground than a steel coaster.

That is all very true, but a posthole digger, and a couple bags of quick set cost less.

Plus, if the footering is for some reason not in the right spot, its a lot easier to move a small hole than it is to break a large slab.

You'd wanna hope they surveyed it correctly - but i guess also, woodie footerings are more forgiving than steel ones.

My first thought was the sand would require the slab too. water dripping off every support, plus sea-breezes would easily undermine small footerings, so whether its how GG does it or not, a large slab kinda makes a lot of practical sense...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AlexB said:

That is all very true, but a posthole digger, and a couple bags of quick set cost less.

Imagine using quickset for high load structures :o

Gold Striker, Apocaypse and some other GCIs also use a big slab

https://rcdb.com/10857.htm#p=40859

As do the premier spaghetti bowls because of how dense the supports are.

https://rcdb.com/528.htm#p=1769

https://rcdb.com/544.htm#p=986

Remember, coaster foundations consist of a pile to a required depth, then a formed pilecap that joins them, then a pedestal (The bit people call "footers") on top of that which contains the hold down bolts that the actual column gets anchored to.

For wooden coasters, you don't have big spaced out footers, you have heaps of little ones, so depending on the layout its easier to just lay a singular big slab than forming up hundreds of smaller footers that you're tripping over etc.

With a nice flat slab its then an easy task to survey and position the chairs holding up the timber.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Imagine using quickset for high load structures

*sigh*

@Richard can we please have the sarcasm tags back?

16 minutes ago, Gazza said:

(The bit people call "footers")

Footings!

17 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Pedestal!

17 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Footerestalings!

• Gazza locked this topic