Leviathan Construction Updates

themagician

VRTP are finally giving Sea World some love after many years of neglect.  They're finally building some rides instead of more animal shows and they've committed to a major coaster build from a leading manufacturer even during two years of almost zero interstate and international travel.

Cutting back on some theming isn't the end of the world given the circumstances, but let's also remember that the Hall of Justice, and Spooky Castle at MW are both Colorbond sheds with fibreglass theming applied to the outside.  Theming can change, and they may even do it further down the track when the financial position is stronger.

What is being built now may not be the final product, and even if it is, who cares?  We're getting a brand new, custom, world-class wooden coaster and two additional flat rides at a time when it would have been easy to justify pulling the pin on the entire investment.

Be Patient.  Stop complaining.  Enjoy the rides when they finally open regardless of how the theming turns out.

• Like 3

I've expressed before I'm taking a "wait and see" approach and trying not to set expectations before I'm able to see the finished project in person. 

My issue is when I visited in June 2021 they were still displaying the original concept art in seaworld. Not sure if it's still up. 

c0b17e5b2ba7af1147e9849a9053bca4.thumb.jpg.ff19f344f6a06d25eb270948f3b8b6e2.jpg

I know its just concept art and the coaster layout is not the same. I would hope the general concept is similar. If not this image in the park should be taken down. 

4 hours ago, Dom said:

It's actually pretty on point for its original concept

I disagree. 

Edited by TomiJ

That’s the maintenance shed not the station. It’s in a back of house area so it’s probably worth seeing what they do with sight lines within the park before tearing it to shreds. 

The actual station will be hidden further from view behind it. And spoiler: it’ll be fully enclosed to facilitate theming and AV elements. 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Dom said:

Look, hold on, that's not really fair.

It's actually pretty on point for its original concept.

9715ac4ebd0adaf9046543bbe691b294.jpg

Not even, This shed is clearly white. The shed we're getting is clearly cream

4 hours ago, wikiverse said:

VRTP are finally giving Sea World some love after many years of neglect.  They're finally building some rides instead of more animal shows and they've committed to a major coaster build from a leading manufacturer even during two years of almost zero interstate and international travel.

Cutting back on some theming isn't the end of the world given the circumstances, but let's also remember that the Hall of Justice, and Spooky Castle at MW are both Colorbond sheds with fibreglass theming applied to the outside.  Theming can change, and they may even do it further down the track when the financial position is stronger.

What is being built now may not be the final product, and even if it is, who cares?  We're getting a brand new, custom, world-class wooden coaster and two additional flat rides at a time when it would have been easy to justify pulling the pin on the entire investment.

Be Patient.  Stop complaining.  Enjoy the rides when they finally open regardless of how the theming turns out.

Unless it's LPS. They open with minimal theming after very carefully budgeting to allow 8 new rides, but screw them because it doesn't look like Disneyland...

7 hours ago, Rabbit2014 said:

The shed was part of the design for the coaster when it was unveiled. So hopefully we seeing a lot of the green theming around the coaster that was on the display.

7A49EADD-F9F7-47FC-A5D2-C17E525DF31A.jpeg

Unlikely. I've tried many times but I just can't seem to get grass and trees to grow on my concrete slab out the back so I doubt Seaworld will be able to do the same.

Also that concept art is out of date.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

That’s the maintenance shed not the station. It’s in a back of house area so it’s probably worth seeing what they do with sight lines within the park before tearing it to shreds. 

The actual station will be hidden further from view behind it. And spoiler: it’ll be fully enclosed to facilitate theming and AV elements. 

Yes sorry I should have mentioned, its the Maintenance shed and can clearly see that when at the park since the coaster goes next to it and not into it.

If they want to hide it, I think some wooden cladding could do the trick quite easily.

From within the Nick area its not particularly visible as the trees/hedges are quite mature in that space. Also there is a massive wooden coaster next to it that kinda draws your attention anyway.

It was super visible from the Tavern though.

Off topic side note, I really enjoyed the Captains Dinner at Spooky Nights. Well priced and really attentive staff and just good to get away from crowds and chill out for a bit.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to set the impression that I'm tearing it to shreds and I hope the language I use doesn't come across a 'bitchy' because that's not my intention, just voicing some concerns. Expanding on what I wrote I still think that cream is an odd choice against other options like green, blue or even brown, but I think the rigging on the front gives way to options for theming. In the original designs there was a GIANT hedge wall with fountains, etc. but we haven't seen an updated angle of that area so it could be anybody's guess as to how they hide this. 

image.thumb.png.47dd8ae1c195c212cc0f0de5b7d72d3d.png

Anything in the green area should be completely fine. It seems that the current intention for the queue is that you'll enter further to the right in that image, skirt the outside of the coaster and then enter it which shouldn't not present any problems with sight lines. However, if they make the entrance straight on to that opening in the framing then I can see some problems with trying to hide the shed. Similarly it may be awkward to disguise it when you transition from Nick Jr. into New Atlantis because it seems like the entrance to the land is that portion of concrete in the bottom left but really we will need to wait and see. 

16 hours ago, Richard said:

Now this is what I want to hear! This is the sort of stuff I'd love to see some focus on from VRTP. Considering the time frame I'm sure they're pretty much finalized so I'd love to see some concepts to really get me hyped about this coaster. I'm excited to see how this progress because I was really concerned that the load would merely be generic. 

Edited by Dom

Cheers for the update Richard! A lot of that is really good to hear and I'm excited that the big vertical garden is going ahead. I agree that it would be fantastic if it was real as I don't think a fake garden would age well in the GC sun but we will wait and see. 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop mate. Look forward to more updates in the future. 

• Like 1

On 25/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, Richard said:

[snip]

The only thing I was asked not to photograph or discuss in detail is the final theming, but there's probably a few things I can say:

• Maintenance/inspection requirements will limit what they can do with bare patches on the slab. They need to be able to crane in boom lifts etc.

I wouldn't mind at a minimum if they painted the slab like they did the entry to the precinct (on the other side of Vortex). Maybe a combination of sandy, rocky or water styles, based on the theming.

Edited by Whombex
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...