Arkham Asylum dismantling

8 minutes ago, Naazon said:

I'll bring this fun one up gain, but Mad Max is in full swing with a Furiosa movie in pre-production + more Mad Max sequels written waiting to be filmed (at least 3 from memory).

You could very easily turn that area into a run down dystopian area and possibly expand back a little, but building a sound wall to not disrupt the studio, making the sound wall look like Yosemite Sam rail road / Road Runner rollercoaster style.

I'm with you on this. I reckon whatever succeeds Arkham needs a more holistic approach to the greater space and what comes next. The land as a whole is the gateway to future expansions in the next two decades, so establishing a theme that's timeless and can work for two or three major attractions is key.

Mad Max themed Vekoma flying coaster, Vekoma Mad-House where the movie props are and another flat to fill out the space around the back of scooby to link up Wild West would be pretty damn amazing.

• Like 4

On 06/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, AlexB said:

It really doesn't.

Rivals took the Australian market to a new level. And its a Mack.

MW dropped $30+ Million on that. And it's still commanding big queues. The Rivals wave hasn't ended yet. Even with the loss of Arkham, they don't need a billboard coaster just yet.

We're still Toyota country. Solid, reliable, reasonably affordable. We don't have the lifestyle for a Rolls Royce. Need to see a few more jumps in AP prices before we can start thinking about that.

Unfortunately the shopping list for Australian Parks usually doesn't include the criteria "must please enthusiasts". They're usually shooting for a broader market - one who doesn't know the difference between manufacturers, or... care.

Yeah I can definitely see that being the more realistic outlook. Mack wasn't really on my radar when it came for big sprawling coasters, I only knew them for their wild mouse rides, but Rivals completely changed my outlook for what the company could do reminding me of Blue Fire which I didn't really know about until Rivals opened

Mack have really pushed themselves into a more affordable, premium market. They used to be known for their spinning and wild mouse coasters until they suddenly expanded their focus to hypercoasters, exciting detailed layouts and launches. Now they are almost like that great mix of Intamin and Vekoma.

• Like 1

We're definitely still a few years out on any replacement for Arkham. There were a lot of internal talks (it reached pretty much every department's management levels so I'm going to hazard a guess they were pretty solid or final) of Arkhams replacement early-mid last year, so 2022 or beyond sounds reasonable.
During the announcement of Rivals, management made clear to staff that they had the mindset of moving the next few major additions away from DC branding, so hopefully that desire has remained.

Sea World expansion will be completed first, alongside a new slide for Wet 'n' Wild (assuming that's still going ahead) before anything substantial happens at Movie World again though.

I seriously hope they agree with Gazza and there's plans to move the Batman statue to Batwing. Have it positioned on top of the JL show stage overlooking Batwing or something.

Add this to the dream category though; what about a Wooden or Hybrid coaster that acts as a barrier between MW and the Studios. Would then also act as a border for that non-DC themed area that bridges the gaps between West, Scooby and Superman.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Mack have really pushed themselves into a more affordable, premium market.

I wouldn't describe Mack as affordable. These days there's essentially no daylight between them and say Intamin or B&M in terms of price.

B&M have been on the radar of Australian parks for quite some time now. They pitched for Rivals and have been on the list for AA's "billboard coaster" replacement. Price might have been a factor in the past but it isn't why we haven't seen one here yet.

On 06/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, AlexB said:

Unfortunately the shopping list for Australian Parks usually doesn't include the criteria "must please enthusiasts". They're usually shooting for a broader market - one who doesn't know the difference between manufacturers, or... care.

Not entirely sure the criteria "must please enthusiasts" and "will have a significant impact on attendance and revenue" are actually different. Certainly the attractions our parks have built in the past decade or two that didn't please enthusiasts also didn't have a lasting impact on profitability, and conversely those that are beloved did. Scooby, Superman, Rivals versus Motocoaster, Doomsday or Buzzsaw... there's a reason our parks are happily dropping $30+ million on great coasters now.

• Like 1

What would peoples thoughts be if they dismantled Arkham and replaced it with a temp ride or 2 like what they did with Sky Flyer at seaworld for the 2-3 years while they finalise the ride and wait for the build time

themeing of the new ride would be minimal, even at VRTP standards to keep unrequired costs down.

2 minutes ago, Ranger said:

What? 

They mean Sliders. VRTP have reviewed Wet n Wild and decided that it really needs new food outlets, and sliders are the best option. Water slides at a water park aren't actually required.

22 minutes ago, Richard said:

B&M have been on the radar of Australian parks for quite some time now. They pitched for Rivals and have been on the list for AA's "billboard coaster" replacement. Price might have been a factor in the past but it isn't why we haven't seen one here yet.

B&M Dive to replace Arkham confirmed? Lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Not entirely sure the criteria "must please enthusiasts" and "will have a significant impact on attendance and revenue" are actually different. Certainly the attractions our parks have built in the past decade or two that didn't please enthusiasts also didn't have a lasting impact on profitability, and conversely those that are beloved did. Scooby, Superman, Rivals versus Motocoaster, Doomsday or Buzzsaw... there's a reason our parks are happily dropping $30+ million on great coasters now.

They're not mutually exclusive, and certainly there is overlap.

In the past, 'must please enthusiasts' has meant 'biggest B&M you've ever seen and nothing else compares'.

If its affordable, hits the target market well AND also pleases enthusiasts, great - my point was simply that if it hits the enthusiast criteria, without hitting the others, it isn't going to win out.

If we were to see a B&M replacing Arkham Asylum, it would have to be one of their more compact coasters. Which leaves it either their new surf model, a flying coaster or the inverted model. The area is not small at all, but B&M's tend to be quite bigger in comparison to other coasters. 

Personally, I think would be really cool to see a flying coaster. Very easy to sell, and they could do so much theming potential. 

1 hour ago, Prequel said:

If we were to see a B&M replacing Arkham Asylum, it would have to be one of their more compact coasters. Which leaves it either their new surf model, a flying coaster or the inverted model. The area is not small at all, but B&M's tend to be quite bigger in comparison to other coasters. 

Personally, I think would be really cool to see a flying coaster. Very easy to sell, and they could do so much theming potential. 

Why does the new coaster have to occupy the same footprint as Arkham?

6 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Why does the new coaster have to occupy the same footprint as Arkham?

The general area. The ride is pretty close to the film lot, which does limit the potential space. Even if they manage to find new room, I still do not think it would be enough for a large scale B&M, which coasters like a wing, dive and hyper usually are.

I could be wrong, but it is just my though process.

Edited by Prequel

20 minutes ago, Prequel said:

The general area. The ride is pretty close to the film lot, which does limit the potential space. Even if they manage to find new room, I still do not think it would be enough for a large scale B&M, which coasters like a wing, dive and hyper usually are.

I could be wrong, but it is just my though process.

Just taking a quick look at Google maps, I think there's enough room around the current ride footprint to build a ride that has a ~2x larger footprint. There's the area behind Scooby that could be used (unless it is a maintenance access point), the courtyard and current theatre/station building that could be removed, and the grass smoking area up next to superman. That's all either empty land or currently used by Arkham. There's the mazes and other maintenance sheds further out behind Arkham, so I don't think it will go any further toward the studios. 

It'd be cool to have a wing coaster that went from the Arkham Asylum site and fly over main street. Or rather would have been cool had main street not been covered up. Anyway, there's plenty of options to go above, around and beyond the Arkham site for a roller coaster with a larger footprint, its just whether they would bother to spend more money to do so. Only time will tell.

15 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Just carve out another chunk of carpark and build it there

Do it. Then just build a multi-story car park, but really far away so it doesn't dwarf any of the rides.

That would be crap if a building suddenly made Green Lantern or even Rivals seem semi small.

15 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

It'd be cool to have a wing coaster that went from the Arkham Asylum site and fly over main street. Or rather would have been cool had main street not been covered up. Anyway, there's plenty of options to go above, around and beyond the Arkham site for a roller coaster with a larger footprint, its just whether they would bother to spend more money to do so. Only time will tell.

Just modify the roof. Make it like the Seaworld Monorail, would make it more intense / attractive as it would capture the sound too.

• Like 1

What if the Wild West show building was turned into the station for a mine train coaster utilising some of the space AA took up? Big Thunder Mountain is one of Disney’s biggest attractions with a version in every park (I think), and it’s certainly not their tallest or fastest.

This would mean a second attraction at that end of the park, and then what was the courtyard can be remodelled to Metropolis, enhancing the theming of Superman. You’d then also have space left for another attraction that can be themed in the DC universe in the appropriate part of the park.

4 hours ago, ads086 said:

What if the Wild West show building was turned into the station for a mine train coaster utilising some of the space AA took up? Big Thunder Mountain is one of Disney’s biggest attractions with a version in every park (I think), and it’s certainly not their tallest or fastest.

This would mean a second attraction at that end of the park, and then what was the courtyard can be remodelled to Metropolis, enhancing the theming of Superman. You’d then also have space left for another attraction that can be themed in the DC universe in the appropriate part of the park.

Why couldn't the courtyard be another themed land? Because there's already a Metropolis area around Doomsday and the park already has an over reliance on DC. There needs to be more stuff for visitors not necessarily into DC movies.

Like, Disney has Marvel, but its not literally every new ride that is Marvel.

Using the show stage for an indoor section of a coaster would be good though.

Edited by Gazza